Options

Belfast bakery refuses to bake cake with message supporting gay marriage on it

Comments

• Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I don't think it was so instead of going around in circles, we will just have to agree to disagree.

The letter clearly states this.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I don't see how they can say that when gay marriage is illegal in Ireland. The baker refused to write something in support of something illegal.

Where is the offence in that?

Same Sex marriage is not available in NI... but it isn't a crime to want to change the civil law that will make SSM available, any more than it was a crime to campaign for it here. .

There have been a number of sensible posts on here about how unlawful discrimination may have occurred - the Equalities Commission clearly think it has, but it will take a court to determine it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I don't think it was so instead of going around in circles, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Why don't you read the letter - it is clearly shown in the video the Christian Institute produced.
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackthom wrote: »
    You seem to be trying to suggest that anyone who supports gay marriage in NI would be advocating a criminal act.

Married gay couples entering the country are not considered to have broken any laws, nor is it unlawful for anyone else to advocate a change in the law.

It is no different to someone asking a baker have "Legalise cannabis" on a cake. If the baker doesn't agree (with something which would require a change in the law), he should have every right to refuse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Gay marriage isn't illegal in Ireland.

Yes it is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Same Sex marriage is not available in NI... but it isn't a crime to want to change the civil law that will make SSM available, any more than it was a crime to campaign for it here. .

There have been a number of sensible posts on here about how unlawful discrimination may have occurred - the Equalities Commission clearly think it has, but it will take a court to determine it.

Of course it isn't a crime...and it should follow Britain in that. I am merely stating that the baker has a right to his view too. He never refused to serve them full stop.

He just refused the wording on a cake.
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    It is no different to someone asking a baker have "Legalise cannabis" on a cake. If the baker doesn't agree (with something which would require a change in the law), he should have every right to refuse.

It's no different except that cannabis users don't feature in the list of Protected Characteristics, so the baker would have no problem with that scenario.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course it isn't a crime...and it should follow Britain in that. I am merely stating that the baker has a right to his view too. He never refused to serve them full stop.

He did refuse to serve them - they actually cancelled the order they had taken. What matters here is whether they can do so without breaching discrimination law. And as keeps being said, the Equalities Commission believe that they have breached the law and so it needs to be tested in court. You may not think there is a problem, but you cannot be sure until that test takes place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/debateni/blogs/liam-clarke/gay-cake-row-a-simple-apology-might-stop-us-looking-like-muppets-30419586.html

A reasonably balanced article.

The cake was ordered for the ex-mayors anti homophobia event. Very appropriate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think the two can be compared in any way. There isn't an anti discrimination law supporting cannabis smokers.

People also choose to smoke cannabis, no-one chooses to be gay.
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    .http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/debateni/blogs/liam-clarke/gay-cake-row-a-simple-apology-might-stop-us-looking-like-muppets-30419586.html

Gareth Lee of QueerSpace simply walked into its Royal Avenue store and ordered a cake decorated with a picture of two Sesame Street characters and the message 'Support gay marriage'.

About three days later the shop rang him to say that, as Christian, it could not supply the cake.

It has explained that it also refused to decorate cakes with obscenities, compounding the insult.

I think that speaks volumes about their attitude. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackthom wrote: »
    I think that speaks volumes about their attitude. :(

Yes that is exactly where they are coming from. Disgusting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Decorating cakes is part of the service they offer to the public. Therefore religious discrimination is not allowed.
    Gareth Lee of QueerSpace simply walked into its Royal Avenue store and ordered a cake decorated with a picture of two Sesame Street characters and the message 'Support gay marriage'.

About three days later the shop rang him to say that, as Christian, it could not supply the cake.

It has explained that it also refused to decorate cakes with obscenities, compounding the insult

Statements like the BIB do nothing but reinforce their discrimination.
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What part about "it was the writing on the cake that was the problem" not refusing service to gay people do some posters no understand?

I have to honest I find the gay posters on here so far up their own backsides, they point blank refuse to see the truth, and tend to be the most abusive.

It was no discrimination full stop! Get over yourselves.

Unless you have crawled inside the bakers head you really dont know why he refused to make the cake.....hence the need for the courts to examine the case in more detail. I suspect you dont see discrimination unless you are the victim at which point we would all hear about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

An interesting read. I had forgotten that the person who ordered the cake also what Queerspace written on it....which is a hate word for a gay person.

Would a black person have had an equal complaint if he wanted a cake with the N word in it. That is also a word that only black people can use freely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The equalities commision do not agree. They are just looking into it following a complaint. I hope they side with the bakers as they have done nothing wrong.

Marriage between two people of the same sex has only just been made law in Britain, so it hasn't really got anything to do with bigotry has it?

Are you serious?? Why do you think it has 'only just' been made legal...why do you think it is not permitted in NI. What do you think the point of the cake's message was?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taglet wrote: »
    Unless you have crawled inside the bakers head you really dont know why he refused to make the cake.....hence the need for the courts to examine the case in more detail. I suspect you dont see discrimination unless you are the victim at which point we would all hear about it.

Far too many minority groups see discrimination where it doesn't exist.
  • Options
    FoxywarriorFoxywarrior Posts: 375
    Forum Member

And far too many people think discrimination does not exist where it does or at least thinks because it does not affect them it doesn't matter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taglet wrote: »
    Are you serious?? Why do you think it has 'only just' been made legal...why do you think it is not permitted in NI. What do you think the point of the cake's message was?

It had nothing to do with bigotry. Times change and move on. Up until a few years ago gay marriage wasn't even thought about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And far too many people think discrimination does not exist where it does or at least thinks because it does not affect them it doesn't matter

No I would be just as understanding if a Christian baker refused to serve me a cake with SATAN written across it.

I would take my custom elsewhere. Too much has been made of this incident. Political correctness gone barmy,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An interesting read. I had forgotten that the person who ordered the cake also what Queerspace written on it....which is a hate word for a gay person.

Would a black person have had an equal complaint if he wanted a cake with the N word in it. That is also a word that only black people can use freely.

Sorry you've now lost me off.

You hate the word Queerspace and that somehow means a word you say black people use freely has to come into this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I would be just as understanding if a Christian baker refused to serve me a cake with SATAN written across it.

I would take my custom elsewhere. Too much has been made of this incident. Political correctness gone barmy,

I've never viewed humane equal rights as PC anything.

How does Satan equate to the human right to equality of same sex marriage?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except I'm not a minority group.
  • Options
    FoxywarriorFoxywarrior Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    I've never viewed humane equal rights as PC anything.

How does Satan equate to the human right of same sex marriage?

I was just about to say the same!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm a straight long married mother and grandmother aged 66. Not a minority at all. Just concerned about fairness and justice in this world.
    It was religious discrimination they've said that themselves in their statements to the press. They think they can do that in business. No they can't as was proved here with the Christian bigots and their guest house. They're now out of business.