Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
Forum Member
Has anyone on here been to Hull before? :confused:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25008856

Comments

• cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Good luck to them.

Maybe they can shed the stereotypical impression the rest of the country has about the city.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boooo....

Wanted Dundee to get it :(
  • NerdyMageeNerdyMagee Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    I'm from Hull. Don't know what we did to deserve it, but it's not so bad here.
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    I have visited Hull. I thought it was fine, I especially liked Wilberforce House.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`ve seen it across the estuary.

i like grimsby, scunthorpe and cleethorpes.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    Good luck to them.

Maybe they can shed the stereotypical impression the rest of the country has about the city.

^This. I had my first cola float, on a barstool in Binns. Well, strictly, it was Hammonds in those days.
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in Hull, but live elsewhere. Like most big cities, it has its good and its bad, but I like it. It's certainly a lot better than when I first visited it about 16 years ago, but I can see why visitors might be a bit ambiguous about whether it deserves the award based on first impressions.

It has a lot going for it though - the theatres are great, there are some good festivals going on, the usual art galleries/musems and the Deep is well worth a day out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't been to Hull since 1973. It wasn't very nice then but I am willing to accept it has changed. There weren't any lights or heating on as it was the three day week so I probably wasn't seeing it at its best.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    There's too much snobbery and the illusion of the class system still exists in the UK. We love to knock other parts of the country and look down our noses at certain places. I remember when Liverpool first got the title of "capital of culture" and the usual snobs came out in full force to denigrate the city. If people opened their eyes and minds, they would see just how fantastic places outside their own little bubble can be. Liverpool did a fantastic job of being capital of culture, I'm sure Hull will be just as great.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it livens the place up somewhat, we badly need jobs and money in Hull.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine lived in Hull and the bit where she lived was lovely - leafy tree-lined roads, with immaculate 1930s semis and detached houses, all well kept, park nearby, nice local shops and so on. The last time I was there was for her funeral, so I doubt if I'll go back again.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hull actually isnt as bad as most people would have you believe. There are a lot worse places in the UK.
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Leicester, went to college in Swansea.

Didn't think Leicester would get it, love Swansea and thought it would be in with a chance.

Never been to Hull so can't really comment, may have to give it a visit.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boooo....

Wanted Dundee to get it :(

Dundee never really stood a chance. If Scotland (foolishly) decides to go independent, then Dundee would no longer be part of the UK, so could hardly be declared the "UK City of Culture".
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know much about Hull, well nothing really, but knowing what it meant to Liverpool then I'm happy for them. It's a great catalyst.
    Will have to see what they put on and maybe give them a visit.
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    \0/ Hopefully this will be the start of many more good things to happen here. :D
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Gutted for Swansea, but then again, with 2 English cities in the running and it going to NI the last time, it was never going to go out of England this time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I have lived in Hull for 9 years now, moved from just outside Glasgow.

While Hull is not perfect and has its fair share of problems. I have never had any bother. I find the people friendly and generally positive. Yes, there are chavs and general idiots, but what city does not have them ? But the good people far out weigh the idiots, Its all ways easier to hate something the like something.

Like a lot of city's in the UK the old time industry has gone and there has been nothing to come along and replace it. Hopefully this will start to change and bring interest back to the city and surrounding areas.

If anyone is planning to visit, may I recommend the museum quarter. Lots of things to visit and its free ! The deep is well worth a visit also. My little lad loves it.
  • Default_UserDefault_User Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evil laugh wa ha ha ha - see you in Hull. :p
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does have one of our two great Universities along with Cambridge. As we all know, Oxford is a dump ;)
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I was in Hull on Monday evening at Hull New Theatre seeing Will Young in Cabaret. The theatre itself and surrounding streets etc. were perfectly lovely. Made a real change from a theatre trip to Manchester or London. We were able to park really easily and get a pre theatre meal close by with no problems at all. Was a really pleasant experience from beginning to end - no stress or hassle.

I'm delighted for the residents of Hull. It's not too far from me and something like this gives the city a real boost .........much needed in this neck of the woods.

Incidentally ......Will Young was FAB-U-LOUS dahlings. If you've not sen Cabaret before I highly recommend it - great night out.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    There's too much snobbery and the illusion of the class system still exists in the UK. We love to knock other parts of the country and look down our noses at certain places. I remember when Liverpool first got the title of "capital of culture" and the usual snobs came out in full force to denigrate the city. If people opened their eyes and minds, they would see just how fantastic places outside their own little bubble can be. Liverpool did a fantastic job of being capital of culture, I'm sure Hull will be just as great.

The UK Capital of Culture was born out of the success that Liverpool made of the European version! I've no doubt that Hull will make a success of their chance to shine.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of fluff this all is. The Mayor of Derry was claiming it's year as CoC has been a "live changing experience" for the residents. What a load of hyperbole. Many of the events were disastrously attended.

Why this need to try and make something out of nothing? Hull is a drab, dreary post industrial city on the way to nowhere. Some of the people are very friendly, but I've stayed many a time when travelling on business and never found anything that would make me return voluntarily. You can be in Grimsby in 30 minutes. Need I say more?

Weekend of culture maybe. Anyone who thinks they can fill a year with Paul Heaton tunes is dreaming.
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    What a load of fluff this all is. The Mayor of Derry was claiming it's year as CoC has been a "live changing experience" for the residents. What a load of hyperbole. Many of the events were disastrously attended.

Why this need to try and make something out of nothing? Hull is a drab, dreary post industrial city on the way to nowhere. Some of the people are very friendly, but I've stayed many a time when travelling on business and never found anything that would make me return voluntarily. You can be in Grimsby in 30 minutes. Need I say more?

Weekend of culture maybe. Anyone who thinks they can fill a year with Paul Heaton tunes is dreaming.

I dunno - perhaps some people like a bit of something positive to look towards. If you genuinely think that all Hull has going for it are songs written by someone who now lives in Manchester anyway, then you're unlikely to see anything positive in the place however much there actually is.

Maybe you're just projecting your own inner misery ;)
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you're just projecting your own inner misery ;)

Living in a city which doesn't have to compete in this farcical non-event tends to lead to a little cynicism.