Options

Do you mind your spouse rummaging in your wallet /purse if they needed money?

rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
Forum Member
✭✭
I just wondered if you have had a long enough marriage or relationship to allow your other half/partner going through your wallet or purse to help themselves to some money?

I imagine if they did do that, it would be because they maybe needed some loose change for parking/travel fares etc.

Are you part of a couple that would never dream of going through their partners personal belongings?

Is it a stereotype for women to go through their men's wallet for money?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    If my other half wants money for something then she can take it. It's only money after all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My partner often has my bank card so wouldn't need to. I wouldn't mind him rummaging around in my bag for anything, though I would feel uncomfortable if he started reading my diary or letters from friends without asking.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no problem with my OH taking from my wallet, providing he tells me he's done it so that I'm not surprised later. I would always ask beforehand if doing the reverse.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife keeps my wallet in her handbag, I can't stand having it in my pocket....

I never need it when I'm at work and when we are together it's to hand anyway.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I everything has joint ownership. She always tell me if she has taken anything, for information only.
  • Options
    sionnaighsionnaigh Posts: 1,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do I mind? I'd chop their f*ckin' hands off ! No-one, I repeat, no-one, goes in my personal stuff without asking me first. I would give the same respect to their possessions too.

My son, bless his heart, used to (as kids do) ask me for money to go to town/the pictures/get some fast food whilst out with his mates etc, etc. I'd say to him, my purse is there, in my bag, just take some cash out. No - he used to hand my bag to me so I could give him the money myself. He would never DREAM of 'helping himself'.

Respect. That's what it is. Respect the possessions of others. Don't touch what's not yours without permission.

Anyone touches anything of mine without asking me upfront, is risking (at the very least) a smack and, at worst, the inability to ever wear a wrist watch again.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Why on Earth would somebody need to root through a partner's bag for money rather than just asking for it? :confused:

Personally, I do refuse to delve into the missus' handbag simply cos I prefer to respect her "personal stuff".
    If, say, she's in bed and she asks me to fetch her reading glasses out of her bag, I'll just get the bag and let her find them for herself.

It's not that I'm worried about what I might find in there (aside from manky bits of ossified wedding cake etc - why do women often seem to have a lump of cake in their bags?) but I just don't want to go rummaging through her junk.

By the same token, the missus doesn't like rummaging through my desk drawers, simply cos she's worried I'll have books with pages marked or little bags full of computer bits sorted into a specific order etc and she doesn't want to risk jumbling anything up.
    Same thing really.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if myself or my OH need some change the stock response is "you know where the purse/wallet is" so neither of us mind.

I have to regularly take the car keys from the OH's handbag, everything makes it's way in there so it's the first place to check if something goes astray. I used to ask but she just tells you to do it yourself (as do I with her) so I don't bother anymore.

I wouldn't go into her purse without asking, however she does go into my wallet without asking. I don't think she would care if I did though.
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    double post,
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    been married for 20 years do you really think I'm allowed money?

got nowt to hide so she can rummage away. At the end of the day its our money, I'll never understand married or long tern partner's with split money and accounts you pay that Bill I'll pay this one ffs, its our bills our house our money, correction her money my bills.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    No, they don't find any money there, everything's plastic these days you know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    No, they don't find any money there, everything's plastic these days you know.

Or rubber.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    No doesn't bother me, as long as he tells me afterwards, or I worry I've lost it!
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    sionnaigh wrote: »
    Do I mind? I'd chop their f*ckin' hands off ! No-one, I repeat, no-one, goes in my personal stuff without asking me first. I would give the same respect to their possessions too.

My son, bless his heart, used to (as kids do) ask me for money to go to town/the pictures/get some fast food whilst out with his mates etc, etc. I'd say to him, my purse is there, in my bag, just take some cash out. No - he used to hand my bag to me so I could give him the money myself. He would never DREAM of 'helping himself'.

Respect. That's what it is. Respect the possessions of others. Don't touch what's not yours without permission.

Anyone touches anything of mine without asking me upfront, is risking (at the very least) a smack and, at worst, the inability to ever wear a wrist watch again.

Crikey.
    With general people yes it is rude, but not with my o/h.
    What's mine is his, what's his is mine. We decided that on our CP day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    been married for 20 years do you really think I'm allowed money?

got nowt to hide so she can rummage away. At the end of the day its our money, I'll never understand married or long tern partner's with split money and accounts you pay that Bill I'll pay this one ffs, its our bills our house our money, correction her money my bills.

I've been married 40+ years and we've always had a joint account. My wife saves £2 coins, mostly from me from the pub, and keeps them somewhere, I have no idea where.

She tells me how much she has, it stands about £500 at the moment. Paid for the vets bill last year.
  • Options
    TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never go through my husbands wallet and I would hope he does the same with my purse!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    I would never go through my husbands wallet and I would hope he does the same with my purse!

Why? It doesn't bother me at all. I wouldn't go into my wifes handbag unless I needed to. We have no secrets.
  • Options
    TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't have secrets but I think it is due to respect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I rarely have money as he does all the paying so he'd have no point going in my bag but I wouldn't mind. I don't really have anything in there that is interesting. I'd go through his wallet no problem. I think its a bit silly to get wound up about something so little. I would avoid it if he didn't like it but its not an issue.
  • Options
    pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a problem for me at all As long as he tells me later that he has taken it so I know where my finances stand.My sister popped in with £60 she owed me yesterday and I threw it onto the sideboard. My oh said best put that away and I told him to take it, we need a petrol fill soon anyway. If I have enough for my needs and a few treats or extras then I never stress. My sis in law however :o. She is mental. I've heard her say *You owe me 50p for the paper*. And even demanding he pay back the 20p she lent him . That is insane.>:(
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    I trust my girlfriend completely so I wouldn't mind.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    not if they ask first,

my first husband used to steal my whole purse.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a problem at all.