"accurate recordings" starting slightly late - broadcast or box problem?

2»

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had no problem with BBC or Film4 recordings (virtually the only channels I watch).

However, the one thing I do regularly watch on another channel: 'Big Bang Theory' on E4 is starting a few seconds late every episode this series whereas previous series have started a few seconds before the programme's first scene.

Not enough to cause a problem but it's interesting that they foul it up every single time.

A couple of years ago there was a similar problem with 'Grand Designs' whereby they would chop the final minute or so from each episode. Fortunately that just cut the end off Kevin's rather long winded summing up so, again, not too much of a problem.

Another channel that you can guarantee will foul things up is C5 who always interrupt an evening film with some garbage and always miss the start of the second part. Fortunately it's been many months since I watched anything on any of C5's junk channels.
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    It was OK for a bit, but it's starting late again now. I expect the recording to start with the BBC One channel logo and announcer, but instead it's starting a few seconds into the actual programme.

On the few times I've noticed, it's also late at the end: the recording should end during the channel logo before the next programme, but now sometimes includes the very start of the next programme.
    Happy Valley last night the recording started during the first few seconds of the programme (during the re-cap anyway), and ended before the ten o'clock news started (the helicopter was just flying into the BBC One logo as the recording ended).

Anyone know how can I figure out if it's my Humax, or the BBC, that's slow off the mark at the start?

For now, I'm not really interested in what happens on most other channels. Unless/until they decide to use Accurate Recording on freesat, or (heaven forbid!) run their channels to schedule (flying pigs etc), I don't expect to get full recordings from them unless I use manual padding/recording. When it does work, it's by luck, not by design.

Cheers,
    David.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be a substantial change in BBC editorial policy to change the start point from the network ident ...
    Which is when the "health warning" if any is broadcast .....