Glasgow school of Art on Fire

big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
Forum Member
✭✭
Absolutely devastating seeing the pictures.

Many people say it's one of the finest buildings, not only in Britain, but the world:(

Comments

• dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is sad :(
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's awful. It's supposed to be a fabulous building.
  • hackjohackjo Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dreadful. The big worry is that the place is full of wood and being as old as it is, I imagine it will not be particularly resistant to a fire. I expect it will be gutted.

The question is, will we make the same mistake post-fire as we often do in these cases of not rebuilding it back to how it was?
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot imagine it won't be restored to it's original form, it is just too important a building in Scotland

It will give them a chance to get rid of 100 years of alterations and restored to its original form - though with 21st century safety standards
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocking :( I hope the damage is limited but it looks quite extensive. I'm sure it will be restored but it will never be the same as original.

The remaining original Mackintosh buildings are Scotland Street School & The Hill House. Brad Pitt is a Mackintosh architecture fan, he is known to have visited The Hill House twice, most recently when he filmed World War Z in Glasgow a few years ago. :)
  • piperpiper Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not good :(
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Shocking :( I hope the damage is limited but it looks quite extensive. I'm sure it will be restored but it will never be the same as original.

The remaining original Mackintosh buildings are Scotland Street School & The Hill House. Brad Pitt is a Mackintosh architecture fan, he is known to have visited The Hill House twice, most recently when he filmed World War Z in Glasgow a few years ago. :)

South of the border, there's a superb Mackintosh house at 78 Derngate, Northampton - but that's splitting hairs. It's devastating news for all lovers of CRM's wonderful designs and let's hope the damage can be limited or restored. Not looking good, the Library has some fantastic stuff, and that looks to have been badly affected.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steven Moore, BBC's Antiques Roadshow, said it best:
    Seeing Glasgow School of Art on fire is heartbreaking. It's like watching a dear friend in agony & you're unable to help. I feel sick.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the benefit of hindsight, you'd expect sprinklers to be installed, after lessons were learned from the Windsor Castle fire.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is really bad news.
  • The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How sad. There's something particularly savage about the way fire guts a beautiful building.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    South of the border, there's a superb Mackintosh house at 78 Derngate, Northampton - but that's splitting hairs. It's devastating news for all lovers of CRM's wonderful designs and let's hope the damage can be limited or restored. Not looking good, the Library has some fantastic stuff, and that looks to have been badly affected.
    Originally Georgian then remodelled by Mackintosh
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm feeling rather devastated about this this afternoon. Beautiful place, and the timing is just terrible for the students.:(
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm this is pretty shocking, almost as bad as the 1936 Crystal Palace fire :(.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just seen some of the pictures, it looks pretty devastating. :(

The building is beautiful - iconic and one that Glaswegians have always been rightly proud of. As a Londoner who lived in Glasgow for a time, to me it's always been one of those landmarks that makes the city special.

I hope they can restore it, but at the moment it looks bad.
  • foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A projector exploded in the basement....how does that happen?
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the Glasgow art Gallery or another building? (the one that was supposedly built 180 degrees the wrong way?)

In any event it must be devastating to those concerned.

Clear up and Rebuild. rebuild. rebuild.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    I'm feeling rather devastated about this this afternoon. Beautiful place, and the timing is just terrible for the students.:(

I wonder whether they will be given a fixed grade?
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the Glasgow art Gallery or another building?
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Glasgow+School+of+Art
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of Kelvingrove.

Still not nice.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    foonk wrote: »
    A projector exploded in the basement....how does that happen?

Probably unattended/or someone didn't manage to get a fire extinguisher in time, when a bulb went.

From what I've seen projector bulbs can get very hot*, which when it's near the sort of plastics and materials used to overhead projectors, or worse film stock could be nasty when shards of very hot glass hit them.

That's assuming it was a bulb going and not an electrical fault with it.

*I think with film projectors it was always a problem if the film got stuck or cooling failed as you're talking a very high brightness bulb usually very close to what is/was often a fairly flamable material.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Is this the Glasgow art Gallery or another building? (the one that was supposedly built 180 degrees the wrong way?)

In any event it must be devastating to those concerned.

Clear up and Rebuild. rebuild. rebuild.

The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum is supposedly built the 'wrong way round'; the main entrance is at the back of the building; the front faces towards Kelvingrove park.
  • foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    Probably unattended/or someone didn't manage to get a fire extinguisher in time, when a bulb went.

From what I've seen projector bulbs can get very hot*, which when it's near the sort of plastics and materials used to overhead projectors, or worse film stock could be nasty when shards of very hot glass hit them.

That's assuming it was a bulb going and not an electrical fault with it.

*I think with film projectors it was always a problem if the film got stuck or cooling failed as you're talking a very high brightness bulb usually very close to what is/was often a fairly flamable material.

Thank you.

You would think that better fire-fighting measures would have been in place.

At least no one died.
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Am I only person who has never heard of the building and cant see why its iconic. It doesn't appear to stand out at all.
    I do live in London through.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    Am I only person who has never heard of the building and cant see why its iconic. It doesn't appear to stand out at all.
    I do live in London through.

It was designed by Charles Rennie MacIntosh.