Options

Hiring a car in Greece.

victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What should one take to hire a car in the Greek Islands? Is it just a licence?

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was over there about 10 years ago I'd had to get a special licence for driving abroad, on top of my regular licence. Can't for the life of me remember exactly what it was but it ran out after 12 months...
    However, it might've been because I was a relatively new driver, having only passed my test within the year.
  • Options
    Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look for general info https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad and http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/greece.pdf

I always take both parts of the driving licence and that's been OK. But if you are planning on taking it out of Greece to other EU countries you need to check this out before you book.

The International Driving permit (IDP) doesn't seem to be a requirement, but they are easy to get from the AA / RAC.

Also, getting your own sat-nav with EU mapping is a good idea. You can hire them over there, but that can be as much as buying one at home.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hired vehicles in Greece many times. All I have needed is both bits of my UK drivers licence.

One thing well worth doing is to get some hire car excess insurance. Usually when you hire a vehicle, the insurance covers you for all damage, but you have to pay an excess, usually in the order of a few hundred pounds. Of course, return the vehicle with a stone chip or slight scratch and they will charge you for this. They will typically offer their own excess insurance for about £10-£20/day, but you can get your own for about £2-3 a day. Eg. https://www.confused.com/car-hire-excess-insurance

Also sat nav - I have found this very hit and miss in the Greek islands, often directing you to roads that are near enough impassable by anything with wheels, or that do not even exist!
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go on trip adviser forums for the place you are visiting. You often get good tips on the best local firms to hire from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all.
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    I just came back from Rhodes last week and hired a car - we used a local company and had full insurance and zero excess (these seemed to be very popular with tourists to rent so wasn't put off). I only needed my driving licence and payment for the full amount (done on card). They didn't even look at my paper part of my licence just wrote down my licence number from my card part. Very simple, very easy and had zero problems.

Driving was another matter, taxi drivers in particular are obnoxious and do not give a shit if they overtake you on a blind corner.
  • Options
    jackpotjackpotjackpotjackpot Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Don't worry and panic the Greeks are very laid back individuals and do not do everything word for word as per the laws.

You simply do some price checks online with about 10 companies choose the right one, date, type of car etc. They will simply drop the car off at any location that you choose on the date/time and will take a quick look at your licence.... That's it!

Don't worry about an issue that really doesn't exist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the hire cars left hand drive? If so how do people manage this as well as driving on the other side of the road?
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this saves me starting a new thread

I'll be hiring a car to drive from Rhodes Town down to Lindos in a few weeks, could it be easily some without a satnav? Last time I was abroad I had my location on google maps that I could follow even though I had no internet connection and couldn't get directions on the app, the little blue dot was there. Even if that doesn't work are the road signs easy to follow? I'm staying right by the highway/motorway outside Rhodes Town

Also, parking in these places? I picture signs in Greek saying resident permits 9-6 or pay at machine but no loading 8-4 etc :o
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We stayed in Lindos in 2010 and drove from the airport. It was a really straight, easy route to follow and the road was decent by Greek standards.

Rhodes Town, we found a carpark in the shadow of the castle and remember it being fairly cheap to park all day. I remember there being a little cafe and some lovely gardens right next door and it wasn't far from the harbourfront.

Lindos - there is a huge carpark at the top of the hill, on the main road from Rhodes Town, in the shadow of the Acropolis
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    victor mel wrote: »
    Are the hire cars left hand drive? If so how do people manage this as well as driving on the other side of the road?

It's ok, infact it's easier to drive a left hand car on the right, then trying to drive a right hand car on the right. You'll find, most of the time you just follow the traffic, so no problems.