External Wire

The phone wire from the BT pole to the house, had become stuck under the tiles on the property next door. (kitchen/bathroom extension).
I have now noticed that the outer sheath of the cable is damaged exposing the internal wires, what are the chances of BT replacing the wire.
I have logged a fault, as when the weather is bad, I do get noise on the line.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cwmparc wrote: »
    The phone wire from the BT pole to the house, had become stuck under the tiles on the property next door. (kitchen/bathroom extension).
    I have now noticed that the outer sheath of the cable is damaged exposing the internal wires, what are the chances of BT replacing the wire.
    I have logged a fault, as when the weather is bad, I do get noise on the line.

should change it out no problems, providing of course there are no low wires of the pole(would then req platform). might be an idea to point it out to the engineer when they come, trust me we need that help sometimes:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    should change it out no problems, providing of course there are no low wires of the pole(would then req platform). might be an idea to point it out to the engineer when they come, trust me we need that help sometimes:D

Many thanks, waiting for an update from faults at the mo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many thanks, waiting for an update from faults at the mo.

you may have to keep on at them, unless the noise was present when you spoke to an advisor, as the majority of noisy faults gets booked of by the desktop diag's team(as the test system reports it as o.k.
    is the noise present when the router is not connected?
    Forum Member
    you may have to keep on at them, unless the noise was present when you spoke to an advisor, as the majority of noisy faults gets booked of by the desktop diag's team(as the test system reports it as o.k.
    is the noise present when the router is not connected?
    I logged the fault online, and that says they are checking at the exchange.
    I telephoned 151 earlier but the system is down, as for the noise on the line, I have thrown a washing line over the BT line and pulled it clear of the slates and tied my line so it won't go back under the roof tiles. The noise is only there in bad weather, no matter if router is connected or not
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I logged the fault online, and that says they are checking at the exchange.
    I telephoned 151 earlier but the system is down, as for the noise on the line, I have thrown a washing line over the BT line and pulled it clear of the slates and tied my line so it won't go back under the roof tiles. The noise is only there in bad weather, no matter if router is connected or not

they will probably call you to try and verify the noise. if you pm the number or fault ref'nce i could have a look on the system morrow morning and see where it's at.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you pm the number or fault ref'nce i could have a look on the system morrow morning and see where it's at.

Data protection act 1998???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Data protection act 1998???

under that act people are entitled at req's to know what data is stored about them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    under that act people are entitled at req's to know what data is stored about them.

Partly. There's also the official way of doing it and then your way.

Not that I'm having a go or anything, I don't care what you do. Be handy if you could sort a job out for me as it happens! ;)
    Forum Member
    Well here's an update.
    Around 1.30 I had a call from an openreach engineer, said he'd come and look at the cable.
    I was surprised that he changed the complete wire from pole to house today as I expected to have another appointment.
    Well done BT Openreach, job well done:D:D
  • milnrow_ladmilnrow_lad Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    they will probably call you to try and verify the noise. if you pm the number or fault ref'nce i could have a look on the system morrow morning and see where it's at.

On an unrelated problem... I have lost adsl from 3 extensions.:mad:

when i plug router into bt master socket - same result no adsl. :cry:

when i plug into the test socket, adsl no problems. :)

I noticed some crackling on phone line - also very quiet line......

Question - could the bt master socket be faulty?? would bt replace this free or do you think the fault is in the extensions??

Many thanks

MilnrowLad
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On an unrelated problem... I have lost adsl from 3 extensions.:mad:

when i plug router into bt master socket - same result no adsl. :cry:

when i plug into the test socket, adsl no problems. :)

I noticed some crackling on phone line - also very quiet line......

Question - could the bt master socket be faulty?? would bt replace this free or do you think the fault is in the extensions??

Many thanks

MilnrowLad

right o, from reading this, line is o.k when in test socket, but second the faceplate is back on adsl goes down?

first thing to do is... unplug everything from your ext'ns. any joy? if so gradually plug stuff back in till it goes off.
    step two.... if connected, disconnect the ring wire(pin 3 of the back of the faceplate), do this for every ext'n you have. ( www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php is a handy guide).

it's very rare for the faceplate of the nte5 to go faulty(unless it's near the floor and animals pee all over it).

i'm guessing the line is quiet when in the test socket, if possible can you inspect your ext'n cabling? i.e is there any that are run externally / under carpets across doorways are your prime fault locations?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    right o, from reading this, line is o.k when in test socket, but second the faceplate is back on adsl goes down?

first thing to do is... unplug everything from your ext'ns. any joy? if so gradually plug stuff back in till it goes off.
    step two.... if connected, disconnect the ring wire(pin 3 of the back of the faceplate), do this for every ext'n you have. ( www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php is a handy guide).

it's very rare for the faceplate of the nte5 to go faulty(unless it's near the floor and animals pee all over it).

i'm guessing the line is quiet when in the test socket, if possible can you inspect your ext'n cabling? i.e is there any that are run externally / under carpets across doorways are your prime fault locations?

yeah - do what s/he said.... then, if you're going to have the router plugged into one of your extns, Id suggest getting a filtered faceplate from adsl nation.... and have ONLY that extn plugged into the unfiltered side of it....

...all other extns can be connected to the filered side of the filter... if that makes any sense.

that way... if there is a fault with one of your extn's, it shouldnt affect you adsl signal (unless its the one the router actually uses)

It would probably be worth getting one of these even if your plugging your router into the master socket to be honest. that way any faults with any of your extns wont affect your adsl. (assuming you wire it up correctly)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that way any faults with any of your extns wont affect your adsl. (assuming you wire it up correctly)

not entirely true as any metallic faults(shorts/loops and earth contacts(carpet grippers) on the ext'ns will affect the line and disrupt the adsl.

all the filtered faceplates do is remove the attenuation loss caused by the additional cabling and protect the adsl from any eletrical interfernce in the house.

though as you said they are a very good idea as they do solve alot of problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not entirely true as any metallic faults(shorts/loops and earth contacts(carpet grippers) on the ext'ns will affect the line and disrupt the adsl.

all the filtered faceplates do is remove the attenuation loss caused by the additional cabling and protect the adsl from any eletrical interfernce in the house.

though as you said they are a very good idea as they do solve alot of problems.

oh right... my bad. I didnt know they could still cause problems to the adsl if it was in the unfiltered section. now you come to mention it, I do seem to remember them talking about attenuation when I purchased mine. :D
    Forum Member
    Thanks to Openreachpeep

To clarify further -

There is nothing connected to any of the extensions

I have tried a number of adsl filters and also a brand new one in different extensions

I bought a new router because I thought the old one had died. The old router has worked on that extension for a number of years now, but neither router works in that extension now (or in any other extension) – only in the test socket of the master socket.

The previous owner (possibly BT) did the extensions, all wiring is well hidden away, the extensions have the old BT logo on them (T).

I have no animals.......but the socket is at low level, but out of harms way. About a year or so ago, Mrs MilnrowLad left a bottle of window cleaner stuff near the master socket which I found evidence of leakage over the socket, but wiped clean thoroughly - The spill was quite small and I don't believe that any got into the socket.

Your suggestion of disconnecting the ring wire - I assume that means that none of phones will then ring? Or I could do it selectively for the “broadband only socket”

The temporary fix of router into the test socket will have to stay for now. I plan to have a look at the extension wiring at the weekend, identify each extension and how its wired back to the master socket. It would appear that there are a number of wires coming out of the master socket - a quick inspection didn't reveal any loose wiring. I'll get my multimeter out and see if I can find any open / short circuits.

Failing all the above I intend to re-wire the extension to the room where I want the router to go. :mad:

or recommend me a telecomms engineer in the Rochdale / Oldham area??

MilnrowLad
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to Openreachpeep

To clarify further -

There is nothing connected to any of the extensions

I have tried a number of adsl filters and also a brand new one in different extensions

I bought a new router because I thought the old one had died. The old router has worked on that extension for a number of years now, but neither router works in that extension now (or in any other extension) – only in the test socket of the master socket.

The previous owner (possibly BT) did the extensions, all wiring is well hidden away, the extensions have the old BT logo on them (T).

I have no animals.......but the socket is at low level, but out of harms way. About a year or so ago, Mrs MilnrowLad left a bottle of window cleaner stuff near the master socket which I found evidence of leakage over the socket, but wiped clean thoroughly - The spill was quite small and I don't believe that any got into the socket.

Your suggestion of disconnecting the ring wire - I assume that means that none of phones will then ring? Or I could do it selectively for the “broadband only socket”

The temporary fix of router into the test socket will have to stay for now. I plan to have a look at the extension wiring at the weekend, identify each extension and how its wired back to the master socket. It would appear that there are a number of wires coming out of the master socket - a quick inspection didn't reveal any loose wiring. I'll get my multimeter out and see if I can find any open / short circuits.

Failing all the above I intend to re-wire the extension to the room where I want the router to go. :mad:

or recommend me a telecomms engineer in the Rochdale / Oldham area??

MilnrowLad
    disconnecting the ringwire won't stop them ringing as most modern phones have a bell circuit built in, as do microfilters. i personally leave the bell wire on as thats what i've been trained to do, and the new nte5 has a filter that stops the problem it causes.

i'm on the south side of town, so don't know any of the local lot up your way, probs best to look in the good old yellow pages, most advertise themselves as ex bt(and usually have kept all their old meters). or next time you spot an openreach van ask the engineer(there is always one who will do the odd foriegner or know the engineer on the staff who will).
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could get your old LJU master socket replaced by Openreach for free and while he is there asking him to hook up your extensions properly and explain your problem to him...
    Forum Member
    5M1L3Y wrote: »
    You could get your old LJU master socket replaced by Openreach for free and while he is there asking him to hook up your extensions properly and explain your problem to him...

I would have thought that BT would only replace their master socket if faulty. :confused: otherwise they will charge very healthy amounts of money!! :eek:

I need to prove whether it is the wiring that I am responsible for (ie from master socket to extensions) or the master socket that is at fault. (including disconnecting the ring line - thats probably where I'll start)

I plan to do that this weekend (much to the annoyance of Mrs MilnrowLad!). :D

Phones plugged into the extensions work ok - its only the ADSL Broadband that is dropping signal / no signal for many hours at a time.

MilnrowLad :)
    Forum Member
    disconnecting the ringwire won't stop them ringing as most modern phones have a bell circuit built in, as do microfilters. i personally leave the bell wire on as thats what i've been trained to do, and the new nte5 has a filter that stops the problem it causes.

Reporting back - I have now disconnected the ring wire at the master socket for all outgoing circuits.

All phones still ring. :)

For some reason the adsl signal is ok in all the extensions now. :confused: Been working for about 24hours now without dropping. Keeping fingers crossed. :D

Thanks for your help Openreachpeep and all others who offered advice.

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reporting back - I have now disconnected the ring wire at the master socket for all outgoing circuits.

All phones still ring. :)

For some reason the adsl signal is ok in all the extensions now. :confused: Been working for about 24hours now without dropping. Keeping fingers crossed. :D

Thanks for your help Openreachpeep and all others who offered advice.

basically, your ring wire acts as a radio aerial, and as a result picks up all the EMI and RFI thats present in the house. this plays havoc with the adaptive rate b/band("upto 8Mb"), doesn't really have much effect on the fixed rate.
    usually a filtered faceplate or disconnecting it(the cheapest option) clears the problem, and as a result of this problem all our new nte5's(openreach branded) filter out the bell wire.
    just ensure you have disconnected the wire from all the sockets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    basically, your ring wire acts as a radio aerial, and as a result picks up all the EMI and RFI thats present in the house. this plays havoc with the adaptive rate b/band("upto 8Mb"), doesn't really have much effect on the fixed rate.
    usually a filtered faceplate or disconnecting it(the cheapest option) clears the problem, and as a result of this problem all our new nte5's(openreach branded) filter out the bell wire.
    just ensure you have disconnected the wire from all the sockets.

Would you happen to be talking about the external NTE!:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5M1L3Y wrote: »
    Would you happen to be talking about the external NTE!:eek:

Can't see what you're on about there old bean.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lurch wrote: »
    Can't see what you're on about there old bean.

NTE5's are gradually going to be replaced by external NTE's so the OR engineer doesn't even have to put his foot in your premises...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That still doesn;t make sense.

Were you thinking 'new NTE with ring wire filter' meant outside NTE? The NTE5's with ring wire filters have been about for ages.

The problem with quoting a whole post and replying to one bit within it is no-one knows which bit you are referring to, especially when it dsoesn;t follow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EXTERNAL nte? what?!

So anyone could just walk into your garden and plug a phone into your nte5, and ring china?! lol