Lip-Synch Problems on Pace DTVA

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
Forum Member
I'm having lip-synch problems on some digital channels (notably ITV1 and Ch5) whereby sound is lagging seriously behind picture - looks like it's been badly dubbed.

Anyone else having problems - my transmitter is Sandy Heath. Is it likely to be the box or the broadcast?

Downloaded the TUTV software update a few days's back - could this have casued this? Seems unlikely but it is a bit coincidental.

Any advice gratefully received.

Rick

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look in the other DTVA threads you will see it is a problem with the box, it does it on mine quite often, tune in and back out of the channel and it should go, i belive that Pace will be fixing this and the other minor problems with the TUTV update.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Same with my Pace since the Top-up TV update.

To get by, I power the box off via the remote and then back on again and then all is well for a while
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My DTVA does that aswell, but only on ABC1. It can get annoying, lets hope they'll fix it soon
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it caused by the TUTV update and if so when's it likely to be fixed?
  • EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    alexj2002 wrote:
    Was it caused by the TUTV update and if so when's it likely to be fixed?
    I was told November, subject to testing. (Don't shoot me if they don't - I'm only telling you what Pace's "Front Office" told me).

Begs the question - Why didn't you test it BEFORE releasing the TUTV update ?????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    It's caused by the top up tv update. I returned mine to Pace after the first update, and they reloaded the earlier software. It's fine now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose they only bothered testing the new top-up tv functionality.
  • NorthDown2NorthDown2 Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Had noticed it on my Pace DTVA too - glad to hear that's not the box about to keel over as i thought it was. Agree with tuning out but doesn't always work. I've had problems with UTV and C4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Have also experienced same problem using ex ITV Digital box(Philips). Seems to be UTV, C4 and Five. Also some TUTV channels. I have also checked the analog signal and it also has lip sync problems at the same time although not as noticeable.
  • rg001c7345rg001c7345 Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had the same problem and have emailed Pace. Just waiting for a reply now.

I would suggest everyone drops them an email to chase it up.

dtva@pacemicro.com
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their reply (which they inform me I'm not allowed to disclose to anyone) is that they are aware of the problem and an update should be ready by the end of the year:

"We are currently investigating this issue and hope to have a fix available in a future download. "

it goes on to say

"It is planned the download (due to the investigation
    and testing that is needed) will take place sometime before the end of the year."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have received the same reply from Pace.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Hmmm... I've always had this with my Pace DTVA, if there was a small reception glitch (when my gas boiler comes on for instance) the picture and sound would lose sync slightly, sometimes you could end up with them quite a long way out of sync!

The TUTV update doesn't seem to have made any difference to it, just jumping off the channel and then back on cures it like it always did...

My original software was the Feb 2003 release... (can't remember the number, sorry...)

Pauly ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popkid wrote:
    Hmmm... I've always had this with my Pace DTVA, if there was a small reception glitch (when my gas boiler comes on for instance) the picture and sound would lose sync slightly, sometimes you could end up with them quite a long way out of sync!

The TUTV update doesn't seem to have made any difference to it, just jumping off the channel and then back on cures it like it always did...

My original software was the Feb 2003 release... (can't remember the number, sorry...)

Pauly ;)

My problem has definatley only occurred since the upgrade.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    only since the upgrade here too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    There's an unspecified Pace update on the http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl page today.

It's listed as: 11/11/04 - 13/11/04 - Pace - TBA - Provisional

Does anyone know, from Pace themselves or anywhere else, if this is a fix for the DTVA problems? Surely it can't just be a repeat of the TUTV update or it would say this?

Here's hoping...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Anyone heard any more about this supposed fix? Definitely caused on my box by the TUTV update - wish I'd never done it now - don't even want TUTV but thought I might as well have the latest software - shame it was a pile of junk. Very annoying! :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No updates on this then? :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    rg001c7345 wrote:
    I have had the same problem and have emailed Pace. Just waiting for a reply now.

I would suggest everyone drops them an email to chase it up.

dtva@pacemicro.com
    I've just sent them a mail with my three problems:
    • Can't change from C4 using number keypad. Can only change using channel up/down keys.
    • Sound and picture sometimes out of sync. Most noticable on C4.
    • DTVA no longer sends wide-screen signal. Definitely did before TUTV upgrade. Programs on TiVo prove it.
    I'll let the forum know what they say (if anything).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean by the wide screen signal?

My Pace DVTA tells my TV (at least it seems to) to show 16:9 full widescreen and to border 4:3 stuff or is that my TV being clever?
  • EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    eristica wrote:
    There's an unspecified Pace update on the http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl page today.

It's listed as: 11/11/04 - 13/11/04 - Pace - TBA - Provisional

Does anyone know, from Pace themselves or anywhere else, if this is a fix for the DTVA problems? Surely it can't just be a repeat of the TUTV update or it would say this?

Here's hoping...

Unfortunately it says "V1.9.108 Repeat" against it now.

How many more times are Pace going to broadcast faulty software? They know the software is faulty and yet persist in sending it out - is this a breach of the Computer Misuse Act? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    EEPhil wrote:
    How many more times are Pace going to broadcast faulty software? They know the software is faulty and yet persist in sending it out - is this a breach of the Computer Misuse Act? ;)

Probably more a fulfilment of their contract with TopUpTV - remember that TUTV have paid (in part at least) for this update to be produced in the first place and that deal will have included several airings.

But you're right it's pretty disappointing they haven't corrected the bugs yet. Maybe it was the original plan, otherwise why was this update listed originally as 'TBC'? Maybe they just didn't get the bugs fixed in time for the on-air slot?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    alexj2002 wrote:
    What do you mean by the wide screen signal?

My Pace DVTA tells my TV (at least it seems to) to show 16:9 full widescreen and to border 4:3 stuff or is that my TV being clever?
    My Pace DTVA used to tell my TV/TiVo to switch to 16:9 or 4:3, but since the TUTV download it no longer does :( .

Pace have replied to my mail to say that the sound sync and wide-screen switching are directly related to the upgrade. They hope to broadcast a software fix by the end of the year. I can return the box to Pace to have the old software re-installed if I like.

They had not come across my problems of moving from C4 using the number keypads, but they say they will try some tests to see if they can see it. I await their reply :rolleyes:.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Will there be (or has there been) a software update to fix these problems?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RickL wrote:
    Will there be (or has there been) a software update to fix these problems?

Not that I am aware of. Try emailing them : dtva@pacemicro.com