Underdogs That Have Won These Shows Before

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
Forum Member
OK, I freely admit that Matt is the favourtite - he is winning all the polls fairly comfortably and in most people's mind has been the most consistent throughout the competition. I want Rebecca to win, but I have to be honest and say she is an underdog. Cher and 1D are bigger underdogs but I just don't think they have a chance now.

Who are some underdogs that have won these kinds of shows before? 2 immediately spring to mind for me:-

Leon Jackson
Kris Allen(American Idol)

Both beat far superior(in my opinion) acts, for various reasons. I don't think Matt is superior to Rebecca, they're very different. Can she pull it off though? If so, how? :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If her duet with Christina is SPECTACULAR and Matt's duet with Rihanna doesn't work then yes Rebecca could win.

But I really think it will take a major screw up by Matt for Rebecca to win seeing as he seems to have a strong lead at the minute.
  • LolWtfLolWtf Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Young although that was Pop Idol not X factor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    LolWtf wrote: »

Ah yeah, good one. Will was a much better singer and performer though(in my opinion).
  • Chisato GeesteChisato Geeste Posts: 20,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl Cole on Popstars.
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,527
    Forum Member
    The odds have been wrong before with reality tv show...

Look at Ulrika Jonsson winning CBB - she was something like 20/1 favourite to win

Samanda were 1/6 favourites to win and were beaten by Belo on the live final.

Leon beat favourite Rhydian in the final of x factor in series 4 too...

It doesn't happen all the time - but a shock should never be ruled out
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    The odds have been wrong before with reality tv show...

Look at Ulrika Jonsson winning CBB - she was something like 20/1 favourite to win

Samanda were 1/6 favourites to win and were beaten by Belo on the live final.

Leon beat favourite Rhydian in the final of x factor in series 4 too...

It doesn't happen all the time - but a shock should never be ruled out

They're all great examples, thanks :)
    Forum Member
    Big Brother has a few examples - Rachel winning BB9 as well was an odds shock really.

Also Big Brother Celebrity Hijack - the favourite (Amy) cames 3rd!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    David Sneddon on Fame Academy, I'm not sure if he was an underdog in terms of odds but everyone I knew was sure that Lemar would win.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who are some underdogs that have won these kinds of shows before? 2 immediately spring to mind for me:-

Leon Jackson
    Kris Allen(American Idol)

Both beat far superior(in my opinion) acts, for various reasons. I don't think Matt is superior to Rebecca, they're very different. Can she pull it off though? If so, how? :)

I agree. The thing is Rebecca is far more plausible, simply better and has more chance to sail ahead than those underdogs you listed that did win; what's exciting is that performance and likeability is going to make a HUGE difference over the weekend, especially with a wider public deciding to vote in the final; Rebecca is certainly the most likeable, whereas although Matt seems okay, is really annoying a lot of people by seeming a little vain and shouting his mouth off in the press about contestants. The reminders of him being sick are a little tiresome. We know. It's bad luck, but don't keep telling us.

Should be a good final though, even Wand have a solid chance. Although I think all four left will do well regardless of the outcome - nobody is really competing for their specific markets. :)
  • *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    I don't think Kris and Leon were underdogs. Kris won because Adam was this flamboyant gay man...and America is incredibly homophobic. Anyone would've won against him. Leon was your straight forward singer that housewives would vote for ( very much like Joe McElderry)....Rhydian was too niche to win it in the end.
  • Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
    Forum Member
    Cheryl Cole on Popstars.

Nah she was definetely a favourite to win
    Forum Member
    Tfan26 wrote: »

She was bottom 2 a couple of times IIRC
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girls Aloud were 5/1 to win the show (i.e. beat the boys)

Here is an, in hindsight, unfortunate quote from Ladbrokes back in 2002 at the time:
    Ladbrokes has not seen one bet on the band since the decision to omit Javine. Girls Aloud seem more like Girls Alone in the betting market at present

They also had odds of 4-5 (!) that Javine would beat Girls Aloud success and have a number 1 within a year.

:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends if Matt is below par this week (as he was last week). If Matt is back to his best then I don't think Rebecca is good enough to beat him. If Matt is merely average or OK then Rebecca's niceness could well end up winning it for her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    Girls Aloud were 5/1 to win the show (i.e. beat the boys)

Here is an, in hindsight, unfortunate quote from Ladbrokes back in 2002 at the time:

Unfortunate? They must of been raking in the money after that result!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willz wrote: »
    Unfortunate? They must of been raking in the money after that result!

Well I was referring the to the punters more than the bookies to be honest :p
  • blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends if Matt is below par this week (as he was last week). If Matt is back to his best then I don't think Rebecca is good enough to beat him. If Matt is merely average or OK then Rebecca's niceness could well end up winning it for her.

I'm not a fan of anyone as such, but i thought matt was fine last week, better than his comments suggested anyway - whereas rebecca got far better comments that her performances deserved (in my opinion obv).
    they are usually positive in the final but maybe they will try and hype rebecca up a bit to try and push her for the win?
  • PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was bottom 2 a couple of times IIRC

She was in the bottom 2 once and the bottom 4 once. But she was also the first girl to make it into Girls Aloud. Kimberly was in the bottom every time!

I don't think you can class her as an underdog because all 10 girls had a 50% chance of being in the group.
    Forum Member
    Matt Willis winning IAC ahead of David Guest, Myleene Klass and Jason Donavon - I believe a couple of days before the final he was 66/1 rank outsider
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tfan26 wrote: »

Not a chance was she, her name coming out first was a big shock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phoebica wrote: »
    She was in the bottom 2 once and the bottom 4 once. But she was also the first girl to make it into Girls Aloud. Kimberly was in the bottom every time!

I don't think you can class her as an underdog because all 10 girls had a 50% chance of being in the group.

But only one could get the most votes, which she did.
    Forum Member
    Phoebica wrote: »

I agree Popstars the Rivals is a little difficult to correlate really
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

I was *shocked* when Will Young won Pop Idol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member

Great call. One of the only acts to become a genuine artist over here
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Liya* wrote: »
    I don't think Kris and Leon were underdogs. Kris won because Adam was this flamboyant gay man...and America is incredibly homophobic. Anyone would've won against him. Leon was your straight forward singer that housewives would vote for ( very much like Joe McElderry)....Rhydian was too niche to win it in the end.
    Ridiculous. Adam Lambert and Rhydian both came second you know. They didn't get the final 2 receiving no votes for being flamboyant and niche did they?! :rolleyes: