Options

My mum has completely lost control and I can't cope with her

fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I literally feel Iike I'm the parent and she's the child half the time, she starts rows over the tiniest little things ever, for example I told her my friend is pregnant, and she moaned and ranted and screamed for three whole hours about it saying about how it will "distract me from my revision and I must stop speaking to her" and rubbish like that, when at the end of the day she's the one who's distracting me for keeping on for hours on end about pointless things. I keep begging her to stop shouting and be quiet, but she then accuses me of being argumentative for saying this to her and threatens to call the police on me and tells me I'm going to fail my life.

Then she'll go quiet for about half an hour and she'll be like "I love you, I'm sorry, I promise I'll never do it again" and she makes it really convincing, and then things are okay for a bit, but it's always guaranteed to happen again.

This happens on a regular basis.

It's just me and her living in the house and I'm 18. What advice can you give me? I can't cope with it

Comments

• Options
    tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you going to uni soon? Problem solved. Otherwise move out, become independent, leave her to ti.
  • Options
    Miss NMiss N Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's either got PMT or she's going through the menopause!!!

Seriously, as a Mum, this is what we do and this is what my parents did to me.
  • Options
    _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been there, trust me. The best thing you can do is to not tell her things about your life. If she rants, nod, smile and agree. You know what sort of daughter she wants you to be, right? So fake being that daughter. Get on with your revision, get into uni and move on.

Your relationship will improve a lot when you are out of there. So head down for now - roll your eyes in private, rant to your friends and just know it'll soon get better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss N wrote: »

If the OP is late teens, then his mum may only be in her 30's and thus nowhere near the menopause.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think screaming and shouting for hours and then apologising to your child is "what mums do". It certainly wasn't what mine did!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I literally feel Iike I'm the parent and she's the child half the time, she starts rows over the tiniest little things ever, for example I told her my friend is pregnant, and she moaned and ranted and screamed for three whole hours about it saying about how it will "distract me from my revision and I must stop speaking to her" and rubbish like that, when at the end of the day she's the one who's distracting me for keeping on for hours on end about pointless things. I keep begging her to stop shouting and be quiet, but she then accuses me of being argumentative for saying this to her and threatens to call the police on me and tells me I'm going to fail my life.

Then she'll go quiet for about half an hour and she'll be like "I love you, I'm sorry, I promise I'll never do it again" and she makes it really convincing, and then things are okay for a bit, but it's always guaranteed to happen again.

It's just me and her living in the house and I'm 18. What advice can you give me? I can't cope with it

Sounds similar to my mum, except she drank. A lot.

In the end I moved to my dads house. I was only 17 at the time and was honestly one of the best things I did! A huge weight off my shoulders.

Haven't spoke to her since, either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tenorlady wrote: »
    If the OP is late teens, then his mum may only be in her 30's and thus nowhere near the menopause.:D

It was a JOKE!!! Although saying that when my child is 18, I'll be 50 so poor her!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been there, trust me. The best thing you can do is to not tell her things about your life. If she rants, nod, smile and agree. You know what sort of daughter she wants you to be, right? So fake being that daughter. Get on with your revision, get into uni and move on.

Your relationship will improve a lot when you are out of there. So head down for now - roll your eyes in private, rant to your friends and just know it'll soon get better.

Daughter?! I'm a guy and I have a girlfriend haha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think screaming and shouting for hours and then apologising to your child is "what mums do". It certainly wasn't what mine did!

Well my Mum did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daughter?! I'm a guy and I have a girlfriend haha

Hm, I remember your other thread. Is the girlfriend new or is that why you couldn't have who you fancied in that thread? Or, did you get the girl?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hm, I remember your other thread. Is the girlfriend new or is that why you couldn't have who you fancied in that thread? Or, did you get the girl?!
    Oooh, interesting. Should I seek out the other thread?;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tenorlady wrote: »
    Oooh, interesting. Should I seek out the other thread?;)

I've already inboxed one person in regards to this :L
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member

You're 18, move out.
  • Options
    springtimeloverspringtimelover Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wow I would never do that to my child. and nor they to theirs. So its what you and your mum do but not all mums
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP has she always been like this or do you think she might have problems of her own and taking it out on you?

Could be early menopause or money problems or a million other things if its not normal for her.
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No its not , I would never do it , nor did my MUm nor any of my friends or relatives ,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No its not , I would never do it , nor did my MUm nor any of my friends or relatives ,

Good for you but I have already stated it's what my Mum did and it's what I do. We're not all perfect parents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow I would never do that to my child. and nor they to theirs. So its what you and your mum do but not all mums

Again - it's what my Mum did and it's what I do. I wouldn't say I scream for 15 minutes but I do think OP is exaggerating here.

His Mum is obviously concerned about things in his life. I don't see anything wrong in that.

I don't know any of my friends or relatives who haven't shouted at their kids. We're not all perfect.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To my shame ot was more the way I acted towards my Mum when I was a teen.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for you but I have already stated it's what my Mum did and it's what I do. We're not all perfect parents.

It was you who said "its what us mums do" I am just putting you right that no not all or even most mums do, just you and your mum .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've already inboxed one person in regards to this :L

Apologies for bringing it up and thanks for the explanation.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

It sounds like your mother needs help and that you need out of the current situation, fawltytowers93. Do you have any friends or family that you can stay with?

In addition, had you considered contacting your local Citizens Advice Bureau http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm to see what can be done to get you some independent accommodation and some social services support for your mother?

All the best, fawltytowers93. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was you who said "its what us mums do" I am just putting you right that no not all or even most mums do, just you and your mum .

I knew someone would be along to correct me!

Let's be honest here - a teenager is moaning about his Mum moaning at him. I moan at my kids all the time 'tidy your room, brush your teeth'. Blah, blah. blah.

It's what Mum's do. I don't think there is any underlying problem here. Just a teenager sick of his parents telling him what to do.

I also live next door to someone who has threatened to ring the Police many a time on her child and we have even told her to as her child is very agressive towards her. No point taking the teenagers side - we don't know the mother's point of view and why she feels the need to ring the Police.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew someone would be along to correct me!

Let's be honest here - a teenager is moaning about his Mum moaning at him. I moan at my kids all the time 'tidy your room, brush your teeth'. Blah, blah. blah.

It's what Mum's do. I don't think there is any underlying problem here. Just a teenager sick of his parents telling him what to do.

I also live next door to someone who has threatened to ring the Police many a time on her child and we have even told her to as her child is very agressive towards her. No point taking the teenagers side - we don't know the mother's point of view and why she feels the need to ring the Police.

Did you actually read the OP? Its not normal mum telling child what to do stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did you actually read the OP? Its not normal mum telling child what to do stuff.

Yes I read it. Can you explain what you find alarming about it?
    Of course we must assume this teenager is telling the truth and not exaggerating one bit. I notice he hasn't returned since I pulled him up on his previous thread.
    There are a lot of trolls on DS as you know.