78% of Sky Customers can batter down their monthly sub just by calling

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,074
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is anyone paying the full monty?
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2011/08/who-are-the-easiest-companies-to-haggle-with

"A whopping 78% of Sky TV, broadband or home phone customers who tried to batter down costs secured a better deal"

My own personal experience would also confirm this.
I have had half price movies and sport for so long, I have forgotten the last time I paid the proper monthly sub :)

Comments

• 19x19x Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Is anyone paying the full monty?
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2011/08/who-are-the-easiest-companies-to-haggle-with

"A whopping 78% of Sky TV, broadband or home phone customers who tried to batter down costs secured a better deal"

My own personal experience would also confirm this.
    I have had half price movies and sport for so long, I have forgotten the last time I paid the proper monthly sub :)

I actually just secured one of these deals a few weeks ago when I threatened to leave for Virgin. Got 1/2 price sky world for 6 months with £2pm for 12 months for the HD sub. Is there any chance of getting another deal after 6 months or would you have to wait towards the end of the 12 month contract?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or you could just not have it at all, if you don't want to pay for it.

No such thing as a free lunch...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I was on a half price offer on everything for the first six months when I took out HD which ended in June. Even though I'm under contract until December wonder would they consider any further discount in these tough times? :p
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brattbakk wrote: »
    I was on a half price offer on everything for the first six months when I took out HD which ended in June. Even though I'm under contract until December wonder would they consider any further discount in these tough times? :p

No they won't IMO
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    I have just cancelled some of my Entertainment Packages to just two and I will be paying £20.50 for the Full range of Entertainment channels come September
    plus the old price for all the other channels - Sky Sports, Sky Movies, ESPN, etc, etc for a further year until 31 August 2012
  • tellyadicttellyadict Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you had to have 3 packs to have the full range come September
  • StuartPlymouthStuartPlymouth Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tellyadict wrote: »
    I thought you had to have 3 packs to have the full range come September
    No, as long as you had at least two which included Variety and either Kids, Knowledge, News & Docs or Music, then you get everything from September.

If you just had Variety (and/or Style & Culture) then you just get those two as the new basic Entertainment package.
  • jamiepondjamiepond Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    why is it that every time a discussion about getting a better deal comes along you get the miserable gits saying ohh well if you cant afford it then just don't keep it or you get what you pay for , i think they seem to forget sky is a business and a business needs customers to keep going, therefore with more and more other competitors offering better deals it is obvious people are going to see if they can get a better deal with sky,why are you all so concerned that other people are trying to get a better deal ? ? is it you that losing out ? ? no i think its just because your paying more for the same service and you wont do anything about it ! !
    by the way i phoned up beginning of last month to say i was leaving and going to virgin (i would not have gone to virgin i was just saying this to get a better deal , shame on me ) and was offered sky world with hd pack for half price until February and when February comes i will do the exact same thing again.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 years of discounted deals and going strong :)
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1050716

Current deal expires October so time to carry out my 6 monthly threat to cancel by giving the usual notice in September, which I will unless they offer me another half price deal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    2 years of discounted deals and going strong :)
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1050716

Current deal expires October so time to carry out my 6 monthly threat to cancel by giving the usual notice in September, which I will unless they offer me another half price deal.

Couple of weeks ago, I got a phone call from sky offering me to take up ESPN and I declined the offer. Instead I asked for any offers relating to my sky world package and got 25% discount on that which I accepted. Now reading your approach maybe I should have asked for further discount considering what you are paying for Sky World package.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mc999 wrote: »
    Couple of weeks ago, I got a phone call from sky offering me to take up ESPN and I declined the offer. Instead I asked for any offers relating to my sky world package and got 25% discount on that which I accepted. Now reading your approach maybe I should have asked for further discount considering what you are paying for Sky World package.

The funny thing is, if I had waited last time, instead of jumping in at the half price sports & movies + packs, I could have got 12 months instead of 6 months at half price. Sky sent me a leaflet through the door, a few days after accepting the 6 month half price deal, offering me 12 months at half price.

You must be prepared to cancel and sit tight without sky if needs must. This month when I cancel, I will probably cancel and wait for a 12 month deal in the post, half price + £2 a month for HD would be the sort of retention deal I want. I will let you know what happens, they might offer me nothing, who knows?

Sky movies + sport + HD + packs are worth approx £28-£38 a month to me. I cannot bring myself to pay sky the full amount and the problem is when you have been used to getting a deal, its hard accepting anything less.
  • blueplatinumblueplatinum Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last time all this was discussed it was stated quite categorically that no discounts would be forthcoming unless you threatened to cancel.

Is the consensus now that simply asking for a discount is sufficient now?
  • StueyStuey Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamiepond wrote: »
    why is it that every time a discussion about getting a better deal comes along you get the miserable gits saying ohh well if you cant afford it then just don't keep it or you get what you pay for , i think they seem to forget sky is a business and a business needs customers to keep going, therefore with more and more other competitors offering better deals it is obvious people are going to see if they can get a better deal with sky,why are you all so concerned that other people are trying to get a better deal ? ? is it you that losing out ? ? no i think its just because your paying more for the same service and you wont do anything about it ! !
    by the way i phoned up beginning of last month to say i was leaving and going to virgin (i would not have gone to virgin i was just saying this to get a better deal , shame on me ) and was offered sky world with hd pack for half price until February and when February comes i will do the exact same thing again.....

They're not so much miserable gits (well they are really...) but more like Sky fanboys who do all the moaning. They live, eat, breath and poo Sky TV plc. I'd go as far as saying that some of them would not only prefer to see us paying the full whack but would also prefer to pay the full whack themselves as they don't want to see their precious Sky lose out.

Anyway that's just my opinion and enough of the ranting. Sky like any big business are in it to maximise their profits and keep their loses low so why shouldn't we?

I've yet to pay the full price on my current account. I signed up with half price for 12 months plus free HD sub. When that finished I got another 6 months half price but they wouldn't budge on the £10pm for HD so, instead of caving in, I chose to drop HD instead. That deal came to an end the other day but all they would offer me was 25% off for 12 months so I said no thank you and will be trying my luck again as soon as I get back off holiday.

I've had loads of deals on previous accounts too. At one point I got a sub in my dad's name taken out at my ex girlfriend's house just so I could have half price for 12 months. I say if they're offering it why not take it?

I personally don't think the product is worth any more than £35pm and if wasn't for the football I wouldn't even subscribe at all.
  • MartinMartin Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamiepond wrote: »

Can you please point me to some of these deals as I am in the market for one at the moment. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin wrote: »
    Can you please point me to some of these deals as I am in the market for one at the moment. :)
    Any discounts available to you would be on your account so you can phone them and ask and press the options for "thinking of leaving Sky".

Just say you are thinking of leaving due to cost and see if you get made an offer but a lot will depend on what packages you have and how long you've been with them. If their are no offers at that stage you would probably have to cancel.

If you do procede with the cancellation then they may phone you just before the cancellation date with an offer or if it is actually switched off, then they will contact you within a month or two with an offer to go back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just say your a Northern Rock mortgage holder and you have been advised to reduce your monthly outgoings by cancelling.

Northern Rock and Bradford and Bingley will be phoning 30,000 customers suggesting they dump sky
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/mortgages/2011/08/dump-sky-and-iphones-struggling-homeowners-told?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=sidebar&utm_campaign=box

At the end of the day, Sky is not as essential and whatever BS you say over the phone to get a deal, do it.

Sky should make it just as easy to cancel or drop packs online through mysky, just as it is to upgrade online.

Its pantomine at its best when they try and talk you out of it but if you can live without it for a while, there are some good savings to be made.

I will never go back to paying the full amount.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    19x wrote: »
    I actually just secured one of these deals a few weeks ago when I threatened to leave for Virgin. Got 1/2 price sky world for 6 months with £2pm for 12 months for the HD sub. Is there any chance of getting another deal after 6 months or would you have to wait towards the end of the 12 month contract?

Was the 50% just on the TV element of your contract?

Do they also do discounts on the Line Retal/BB costs?
  • 19x19x Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Was the 50% just on the TV element of your contract?

Do they also do discounts on the Line Retal/BB costs?

No the 1/2 price only applies to the tv sub. They don't discount bb or line rental as far as i'm aware.
  • StueyStuey Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy380 wrote: »
    Any discounts available to you would be on your account so you can phone them and ask and press the options for "thinking of leaving Sky".

Just say you are thinking of leaving due to cost and see if you get made an offer but a lot will depend on what packages you have and how long you've been with them. If their are no offers at that stage you would probably have to cancel.

If you do procede with the cancellation then they may phone you just before the cancellation date with an offer or if it is actually switched off, then they will contact you within a month or two with an offer to go back.

You'll get nowhere if you tell them you're only "thinking" of cancelling. You have to be adamant that you ARE cancelling (even if you're not).

I rang this morning and bagged my third 50% deal in a row.
  • field_442field_442 Posts: 2,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cancelled my sub in April and after 4 weeks they called me offering half price TV subs for 12 months. I will do the same next year and wait for them to offer the same discount for 6 months or more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuey wrote: »
    You'll get nowhere if you tell them you're only "thinking" of cancelling. You have to be adamant that you ARE cancelling (even if you're not).
    Can't speak for anyone else but not so in my experience but it depends on the reason for thinking of cancelling.
  • jamiepondjamiepond Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Martin wrote: »

do your own research , i am not anybodys goffer . unless of course i am being paid .
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i emailed Sky a few weeks ago and got £4 off this months bill
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We got 12 months half price movies which run out last month have been telling my dad to phone sky to cancel them but he has not done it yet.
    But as I have HD I have also been telling him to get multi room in steed and a new box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another year and another deal.

Phoned up yesterday and got a further 12 months of movies & sports and HD all for £24.50 a month.

Asked to cancel, which I would have been happy to do, but this deal twisted my arm (AGAIN).