Options

BAFTA 2012 - Nominations

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a360372/bafta-film-awards-2012-nominations-in-full.html

What do we think?

I'm glad to see Drive getting some recognition, but appalled at the omission of Olivia Colman for Tyrannosaur.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want Melissa Mccarthy to win
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Harry Potter has been overlooked again. Why no nomination for best British film? Millions rushed to see these films and enjoyed them yet the academy likes to look down their nose at us plebs. That's what it seems like to me. They are always applauding something 'worthy' we don't want to watch.
  • Options
    freemarketfreemarket Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Does anyone even watch the Baftas :confused:

It's a cheap and tacky version of the far superior Academy Awards.
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    So Harry Potter has been overlooked again. Why no nomination for best British film? Millions rushed to see these films and enjoyed them yet the academy likes to look down their nose at us plebs. That's what it seems like to me. They are always applauding something 'worthy' we don't want to watch.

Speak for yourself!
    I'd rather watch "worthy" over Hairy Plopper any day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rybev wrote: »
    Speak for yourself!

How witty you are :rolleyes: Harry Plopper oooh I nearly split my sides at that one :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    Fantastic for Drive and also for Melissa McCarthy and Carey Mulligan both overlooked at The Golden globes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of the Harry Potter films, tbh. I think they're for the most part badly acted and they bore me, but I can see why fans would be disappointed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How witty you are :rolleyes: Harry Plopper oooh I nearly split my sides at that one :rolleyes:

lol - typical HP fan, no sense of humour and takes it all so seriously.
    It got noms for effects etc, what more do you want?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Harry Potter but it's been nominated for all it deserves (although a nod to Alan Rickman wouldn't have gone a miss).
  • Options
    DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speak for yourself!

Harry Plopper is the pig in The Simpsons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blah123 wrote: »
    I love Harry Potter but it's been nominated for all it deserves (although a nod to Alan Rickman wouldn't have gone a miss).

No it hasn't, it should be in with a shot for best British film. Compare reviews on Rotten Tomatoes:
    My week with Marilyn - 83%
    Senna - 92%
    Shame - 80%
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 84%
    We need to talk about Kevin - 82%

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - 96%

It also scores higher than The Help and the other films in the international section. So less sneering would be nice.
  • Options
    barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blah123 wrote: »
    I want Melissa Mccarthy to win

I would like it if she did too. Its nice to see Bridesmaids getting some recognition from the Golden Globes and the Baftas because comedies are often overlooked for these awards. I loved Bridesmaids so I'm glad its getting the nominations.

Also good to see Stephen Fry host this year. I wonder if he will do it in his camp German accent ;)
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really surprised as well that Harry Potter didn't get more nominations. :confused: I thought at least Alan Rickman would have been nominated.
  • Options
    KingCorrieKingCorrie Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Gutted that Olivia Colman and peter Mullen were overlooked for the fantastic performances in tyrannosaur! Well done though paddy considine :(
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pleased to see The Artist and Tinker Tailer fair so well, two fine films. I would imagine the latter will do well as a British film that has tended to be overlooked nominations wise in the US.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it hasn't, it should be in with a shot for best British film. Compare reviews on Rotten Tomatoes:
    My week with Marilyn - 83%
    Senna - 92%
    Shame - 80%
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 84%
    We need to talk about Kevin - 82%

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - 96%

It also scores higher than The Help and the other films in the international section. So less sneering would be nice.

How is the poster sneering?
    I think he/she's been quite fair and balanced to be honest.

I was being good humoured earlier but you're now demonstrating what annoys me about HP fans - sensitive, take negativity towards the films far too personally and NO bloody sense of humour.

Regardless of it being Harry Potter or not, the fact is that Awards commitee's would probably never recognise a 6/7th film in a series. Reviews on Rotten Tomatoes stand for nothing other than a viewers opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is the poster sneering?
    I think he/she's been quite fair and balanced to be honest.

I was being good humoured earlier but you're now demonstrating what annoys me about HP fans - sensitive, take negativity towards the films far too personally and NO bloody sense of humour.

Well said.
  • Options
    freemarketfreemarket Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Harry Potter sucks. I find it hilarious how a lot of Harry Potter fanboys/girls always bang on about how much their books and movies are better than Twilight when they're both as trashy as each other :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite sure this is a thread to discuss the BAFTA Nominations and not a thread to trash Harry Potter and its fans.

(and for the record this Harry Potter fan does have a sense of humour)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite sure this is a thread to discuss the BAFTA Nominations and not a thread to trash Harry Potter and its fans.

Maybe they can refrain from accusing people who say things like "I love Harry Potter but it's been nominated for all it deserves (although a nod to Alan Rickman wouldn't have gone a miss)" of sneering then. That would definitely help.
  • Options
    _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    freemarket wrote: »
    Does anyone even watch the Baftas :confused:

It's a cheap and tacky version of the far superior Academy Awards.

I think people watch the BAFTAs as to watch the Academy Awards her you have to stay up ridiculously late, whereas the BAFTAs or on at primetime :)

Tbh I'm glad Alan Rickman didn't get nominated, totally overrated performance. Although I expected HP to get a few more nominations...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _NiallDEE_ wrote: »
    I think people watch the BAFTAs as to watch the Academy Awards her you have to stay up ridiculously late, whereas the BAFTAs or on at primetime :)

Last years BAFTAS had well over 5 million viewers, which is pretty good for a show of that length, so I definitely think it's of interest to people....:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

(and for the record this Harry Potter fan does have a sense of humour)

And maybe refrain from using a collective "we" when really they mean "I".
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
    THE IRON LADY Abi Morgan

lolwut? :o
  • Options
    MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    No Olivia Colman? Seriously?

And Harry Potter has been nominated for all the awards it deserves - none of the leads deserve an acting nomination.