Roof collapse at Apollo Theatre, London

Comments

• ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an excellent book. I haven't seen the play, and didn't really fancy it to be honest, but it's had fantastic reviews, and has won several awards.
  • Moody BlueMoody Blue Posts: 5,686
    Forum Member
    What about asbestos? With all the dust they describe, that's scary!
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    You are orilly men?
    Fawlty towers ?
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are orilly men?

I ma, I am, I am, I'll have that plasterwork redone before you know it, a bit of paint, a bit of gold leaf, bish bash bosh, and all done before Mrs Fawlty gets back.

As the good lord says, if men were meant to fly they'd be given airline tickets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I never understand why 'concerned' people, in an emergency situation, **** themselves to the media. It serves no purpose other than to stroke their egos.

"How was it?"

"It was terrifying"

"Did you see everyone who was injured?"

"Not really."
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muslim extremists??
    Provo's??

Get a grip ffs <rolleyes>
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sofadude wrote: »
    so we had a couple in the balcony above who ran out, an australian in a bar who witnessed a badly injured woman but that woman managed to give him an account of what happened, an Italian in his kitchen talking gobbledegook, and some guy who wasn't there. Do you think they'll get some reliable ones out of the 750

I suppose if they can find someone who wasn't sitting intently watching a play, and can see through the dark and the dust, then probably yes
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was reported to be the dome that had collapsed.
    Whatever it was, the force of it falling would have been enough to injure someone.
    My thoughts are with members of the audience, they wouldn't have had a clue what it was and would have been terrified, the cast, crew , workers and owners. I hope all those injured make a full recovery.

From another perspective I wonder how this will impact on other theatres?

We hear of terrible things happening at rock/ pop concerts but they are usually not based on permanent structures.
    I wonder if the show will lead to a shuffle of shows to other theatres moving one into touring or if it will be pulled

Some of the old theatres are beautiful but money should be spent keeping them safe for everyone.
    It costs millions to get a show on the West End and some theatre owners own more than one theatre. Maybe a few of them will be doing some health and safety and structural checks.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    plymgary wrote: »
    I never understand why 'concerned' people, in an emergency situation, **** themselves to the media. It serves no purpose other than to stroke their egos.

"How was it?"

"It was terrifying"

"Did you see everyone who was injured?"

"Not really."

I imagine its partly to do with adrenaline, you must get an adrenaline rush after something like that happens all of a sudden. I'd have thought its natural to want to warn people and spread word about what they'd seen, to make sense of it I suppose.
  • scottygscottyg Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    The fact the building next door has scaffolding erected around it could be significant, particularly if any demolition had been taking place and has disturbed the theatres structure.

Truly a mystery, but these West End theatres are very old and only become more difficult and expensive to maintain.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are orilly men?

You bleedin watch it ! ;-)
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    In my old house we had a water leak that weakened the plaster below and only months later, a thick section of Victorian ceiling came down and hit me on the head. Christ I knew about it and it did cut my head. So there I was dazed, in pain and bleeding. So whilst a brick could have killed me outright, old Victorian plaster is no trivial matter at all.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that performance brought the house down! :)
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    The BBC newscaster sounds like hes getting off on it......... its disgraceful!!

That's journalists for you.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Well that performance brought the house down! :)

I didn't want to be the one to say it but I knew someone would.............:cool:
  • BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    Some sort of actovist?".....................I'll get my coat.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were they showing Macbeth?
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very surreal incident, right in the heart of London. I hope all those injured recover soon.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I heard the performance brought the house down.
  • GJaneway69GJaneway69 Posts: 7,089
    Forum Member
    I had to turn to Sky News in the end as the BBC presenter was trying to make it as sensationalist as possible, asking witnesses the most stupid questions and trying to drum up fear, it was ridiculous. Sky strangely have remained relatively calm about the situation when they usually try and get the biggest reaction possible.
  • BleatingSheep13BleatingSheep13 Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Were they showing Macbeth?
    I'll have to sue you for that as I will now probably suffer from bad luck for all of the next day because I read your post! :mad::p:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GJaneway69 wrote: »
    I had to turn to Sky News in the end as the BBC presenter was trying to make it as sensationalist as possible, asking witnesses the most stupid questions and trying to drum up fear, it was ridiculous. Sky strangely have remained relatively calm about the situation when they usually try and get the biggest reaction possible.

Sky was like that for the first reports, but they seem to have calmed down now.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it wasn't the balcony, it's a minor fall of non load bearing ceiling plasterwork ?

DS over reaction as usual, you see, this is crap side of rolling news, had we waited an hour for the 10pm news we would have got solid news reporting instead of hysterical conjecture and supposition.

Move along now, nothing to see here .

There are 76 with minor injuries treated at the scene , 56 injured taken to hospital as walking wounded 7 serious but not life threatening. With 720 people in the theatre that is a major incident.

It was a collapse of ceiling with heavy ceiling plaster (which is heavy try getting hit by it from that height and see if you feel it's nothing ) which collapsed onto the Upper Circle, Circle and stalls , some people were trapped due to their injuries and freed by emergency services .

So plenty to see for those who were involved who I would imagine were very scared and seem to have been very lucky.

Personally I wonder if it's water related ,a long term minor leak that went undetected as it soaked into the plaster etc can then eventually collapse due to the weight
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moody Blue wrote: »
    What about asbestos? With all the dust they describe, that's scary!

Given the age of the theatre if the ceiling is original (and it appears to be original ornate plaster) it more than likely won't have any hopefully , and they did do some refurb in recent years so again the ceiling would not have any in recent years materials..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Not nice, but nowhere near as serious as the police helicopter crashing into the pub in Glasgow. No critical injuries, no deaths, just a badly maintained building.

Next!