Options

Britain's oldest IVF mum loses over £150,000 to an Internet dating website conman

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
Forum Member
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/watch-britains-oldest-ivf-mum-5968436

She has given an interview saying she has been swindled out of £165,000 by a conman on an Internet dating website and now she and her young daughter have nothing.

A sad tale especially as her working life is near its end and she has a young daughter BUT how on earth does someone on a dating website persuade you to part with such a huge quantity of money :confused::o

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I'm not stupid I've got a very high IQ"

Yeah right ^_^
  • Options
    day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear. Something tells me she's not the sharpest tool in the box.

Didn't she end up admitting that, as it turned out, she was actually far too old to have a baby at the age she did?

I feel sorry for the daughter.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Yeah right ^_^

my brother is a mensa member and he`d fall for a con.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Feel sorry for her and her daughter :(
    Just noticed this at the end of the story:

'Susan previously caused a storm of controversy when she had daughter Freya and then broke up with the father' .

Where is he now I wonder?
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Theoretical brilliance, real life stupidity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Theoretical brilliance, real life stupidity.

on another planet.

my ex husband jokingly told him to oil his brake pads when his brakes started squeaking and he did.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    What an idiot! (The woman I mean)
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it that makes these supposedly intelligent women behave in such a stupid way? Such a familiar tale and yet they don't seem to learn
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    What is it that makes these supposedly intelligent women behave in such a stupid way? Such a familiar tale and yet they don't seem to learn

emotion, just the same as the men it happens to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah right ^_^

Perhaps a high IQ but low emotional intelligence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. Something tells me she's not the sharpest tool in the box.

Didn't she end up admitting that, as it turned out, she was actually far too old to have a baby at the age she did?

I feel sorry for the daughter.

Did she dupe the IVF clinic or were they complicit?
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did she dupe the IVF clinic or were they complicit?

It was a foreign clinic if I remember rightly no clinic here would do it.

I have no sympathy for people who do idiotic things like this. Never give anyone even your own family money trust nobody especially people you have met online.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    was once a thicko, is now a poor thicko
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe she should have been thinking about her 7 year old daughter more rather getting mixed up with conmen on dating sites.

"But Susan, who hasn't ever met the conman, began to think something was seriously wrong when she went for a meeting with two businessmen who showed her how to PRINT money."

You began to think something was wrong when you see people printing money. I would suggest without fail anyone who saw 2 blokes printing money outside of a banks secure printers would know it was wrong.

Where was her daughter when she was off travelling the world meeting people who print money. This smacks of stupid women who go involved in criminal activity and saw a way to make some cheap and easy money. Seriously who hands over cash to people that print money and would believe it was legal.

At least she will leave her daughter with one thing a lesson in life not to deal with criminals.
  • Options
    welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    Was she on this morning
  • Options
    Forum Member
    welshsarah wrote: »
    Was she on this morning

I believe so yes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    Maybe she should have been thinking about her 7 year old daughter more rather getting mixed up with conmen on dating sites.

"But Susan, who hasn't ever met the conman, began to think something was seriously wrong when she went for a meeting with two businessmen who showed her how to PRINT money."

You began to think something was wrong when you see people printing money. I would suggest without fail anyone who saw 2 blokes printing money outside of a banks secure printers would know it was wrong.

Where was her daughter when she was off travelling the world meeting people who print money. This smacks of stupid women who go involved in criminal activity and saw a way to make some cheap and easy money. Seriously who hands over cash to people that print money and would believe it was legal.

At least she will leave her daughter with one thing a lesson in life not to deal with criminals.

I'm not sure I believe a word of what she is saying, if I'm honest. I cannot understand how anyone can be that thick to the extent of £165k, including all her own money, jewellery, property and loans from friends, and NOT smell a rat.

I call shenanigans.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We've got a saying "all brain but no common sense". I don't know if this woman is intelligent or not but if she is academically gifted then I would definitely put her into this category.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We've got a saying "all brain but no common sense". I don't know if this woman is intelligent or not but if she is academically gifted then I would definitely put her into this category.

to be honest i don`t think it has anything at all to do with intelligence, it`s about vulnerability, temporary or permanent and scammer`s catching a lucky ride.

i do find the victim blaming kind of crap that people peddle with these stories is rather vile and wonder what tune these people would play if it was their lonely and vulnerable relative, friend or neighbour getting scammed.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some very intelligent people can still lack common sense or emotional intelligence.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    just a sad lonely desperate woman like all these stories

I never understand how people consider themselves "in love" or "in relationships"

or hand over thousands to someone theyve never met?

I suppose its like the saddos on FB who have 689 "friends" again 90% that theyve never met or likely to either
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stupid is as stupid does
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah right ^_^

I see IQ a bit like warehousing space, It's what you stock it with that proves its worth.

Everyone has strengths you can have the most brilliant academic mind, But no common sense.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When reading these cases, its easy to think WTF:confused: how can you fall for that? But these con-artists are very good at what they do, they do seem very plausible and they work the long-game.