Options

Which would you prefer to live in, City or Countryside?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cineast wrote: »
    If that's all you think there is in the country, no much wonder you prefer a city...

Right now the fields and hedgerows where I live are packed with colour, there are lambs leaping about, the rabbits are out in force, the deer are standing staring at the cars, pheasants are swooping all over the place, thousands of tiny birds are darting in and out of hedges, everything is growing and changing. You can look at the same view every single day and something will have changed, and this change happens every single day, year after year. It's not huge change as in a new road or a new building being put up or a club opening or whatever, but it IS change and if you look for it, you find it.

A preference for city or country living is definitely going to depend on your age, where you grew up and your interests etc, but it's wrong to just dismiss the country as being about the same old fields and the same old sheep, it's so much more than that:)

Great post and so true.

I live in the country 23 miles from the nearest town and 4 buses a day.

I've never lived in a city and by choice I wouldn't.
  • Options
    simonmooresimonmoore Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in the country in a small village and all i can say on the matter is "I am going to London for the week LOL) I do like living in the small village but also like my London trips once in a while. I really should get off the computer and finnish packing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she does, i don`t drive myself, but being used to walking (and enjoying it) it wouldn`t bother me at all.

i must say, your view of country life is amusing, we do get out, you know, not all communities are particularly insular and i only have 5 fingers on each hand:D.

(mind you, i was born in birmingham:rolleyes:).

ETA: bumpkin, 4 fingers two thumbs.:rolleyes:

Oh.. I don't think you are any different from city people but by their very nature small groups that never change are going to be insular.

I prefer the city where no one knows you.. less likely to be judged or gossiped at
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've lived in both but give me the countryside every time.:)
  • Options
    NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends what point in my life I'd be at. If I'd settled down, had a nice car, earnt a good wage and was just looking to chill out a little, country life would be OK. But if I was looking to party on weekends, and live life a bit faster, I'd live in the city.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    rozafa wrote: »
    Oh.. I don't think you are any different from city people but by their very nature small groups that never change are going to be insular.

I prefer the city where no one knows you.. less likely to be judged or gossiped at
    small groups that never change might be, i`ve never lived in a village that`s like that, every village i`ve lived in has had people moving in and out on a fairly frequent basis, just the same as the city, i would imagine.

i`ve found just as many people who live in the city to be judgemental and gossipy as live in the country, people are people, wherever you go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've lived in both but much prefer the countryside. I feel I can breath if that makes sense. It does have it's downsides like the lack of transport but I'd still pick it over a city.

I can see the attraction of a city with lots to do but even with lots of people living in a city made me feel lonely.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done both, when I was younger I would have definitely said the city but now I'm out in the sticks I wouldn't have it any other way. As long as the village pub keeps serving, I'm happy :)
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Countryside all the way for me. If I never had to visit a city again I would be happy.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too prefer the country I spent the first third of my life in the city and could not wait to get out. The city is full of parking problems, noisy neighbours, dogs, cats, vandalism, drunks, drug addicts and noise in general.

I live in a village in a detached property with a large garden. Crime here is non-existent, I have no noisy neighbours, no drunks, no drug addicts, no parking problems, I can sit and relax in my secluded garden on a summer day and listen to the birds singing and the rustle of the leaves in the trees, with no traffic noise and fumes, no screaming children or barking dogs.

If however I want to travel into the city it is 25 minutes away but most of the time I just enjoy living here.
    Nothing, but nothing would induce me to ever live in a city again, I call that living in hell. I always wanted to live in the country since I before I left school.

Just look at some of the problems people have with parking and neighbours on this forum of evidence of city life I have no wish to endure.

Last week I was in the city someone had music playing in the afternoon from a block of flats or maisonettes with the window wide open and at full volume, what about living anywhere near that.

Look on any council estate and there is evidence of vandalism, gaffitti, gardens full of junk and weeds, dogs roaming around, cars parked all over the place on grass verges and some houses that look so filthy and uncared for one wonders who would live in them. Who the hell would choose to live there.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather live by the sea than in a city or in the countryside. But I think it would have to be in a town because it would be horrible to have no cinema or theatre or music venues, or proper shops. Not being able to phone up for a curry would be enough to put me off living out in the wilds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Countryside but with city about 30min drive , i need shops
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    I grew up in Hampshire and now live in Cardiff and I can't wait to move back to the countryside! I've even chosen to go to one of the most rural Universities in the country - Aberystwyth. Ideally I'd like to live in a small seaside town. I could never, ever live in a big city like London, Manchester or Birmingham though. When I lived in Hampshire, I thought Reading was the be-all and end-all!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Countryside but Im glad I have a car.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like a home in each.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always lived in cities (Manchester and London) and though I like going to the country for a few hours, I'm always a bit relieved to get back. I need a kind of excitement which I feel I can get from urban living but not the country.

Maybe I'll want to live in a little cottage in the country when I'm about fifty and married but definitely not now.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Countryside, which is quite handy 'cos that's where I live ;)

I wouldnt want to go back to a large town after living here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    Have lived 23 years in the City and can't wait to get out of it. Its making me ill, too much stress, too much pollution, too congested. Yuck!
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I've lived in both, I prefer the countryside.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Born in the countryside, moved to London for Uni, and kinda forgot to leave, though spent 7 years of the 18 I nominally lived there, travelling the world at your expense. Left for the sticks some 12 years ago, cannot think why it took so long.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the best of both worlds? The city to the north and countryside to the east, west and south. Not far to travel to the bright lights if that's your scene, or to wallow in the gloriousness of green trees, patchwork quilt fields and nature at its best?

That's what I have and I thank my lucky stars every morning when I wake up. I'm blessed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delorian wrote: »
    What about the best of both worlds? The city to the north and countryside to the east, west and south. Not far to travel to the bright lights if that's your scene, or to wallow in the gloriousness of green trees, patchwork quilt fields and nature at its best?

That's what I have and I thank my lucky stars every morning when I wake up. I'm blessed.

Living near the city is nothing like the same thing as living in the city.

I'd rather have one or the other than settle for the suburbs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    Living near the city is nothing like the same thing as living in the city.

I'd rather have one or the other than settle for the suburbs.

You mean that you wouldn't want a choice? I can go to the night life if that's what turns me on or I can choose the tranquility of the countryside. I have the shops in one direction if I need them, I also have the option of walking the green fields and hills if I'm in a contemplative mood. Best of both worlds. xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delorian wrote: »
    You mean that you wouldn't want a choice? I can go to the night life if that's what turns me on or I can choose the tranquility of the countryside. I have the shops in one direction if I need them, I also have the option of walking the green fields and hills if I'm in a contemplative mood. Best of both worlds. xx

Not in my opinion - the best thing about the city is actually living in it. Who wants to live near one?
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    horns wrote: »
    Not in my opinion - the best thing about the city is actually living in it. Who wants to live near one?

Whats wrong with living near one? chances are if you do, you will also have some countryside near to enjoy as well.

I could never live in a city, it would suffocate me emotionally.

I could live outside in the suburbs though, much nicer :)