Celebs in Children In Need

Comments

• Binger53Binger53 Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Are these celebs appearing for free though? I was very shocked to learn that Wiggy Wogan was receiving in the region of £10,000 for compering CiN. Surprised he was given a relatively easy ride when that news broke. I couldn't help noticing that he "happened" to be on holiday when it was disclosed.

Made a point of listening in to his show when he returned..............not a peep out of him. Just carried on with the usual nonsense about TOGs etc.
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    I thought I'd already answered that...I'd like them to donate their own money, rather than thinking their "time" is of any value.

And maybe they already do, is it really any of our business how much money they donate to charities?
  • artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And maybe they already do, is it really any of our business how much money they donate to charities?

If they are using the charity to raise their profile, get free publicity and encourage others to donate, yes. Yes it is.

I can't see why they would have a problem with it. As was suggested earlier, they could all donate a flat fee so that they could then avail themselves of all the positive publicity and product promotion they liked.

As I said earlier, putting their money where their *concerned face* mouth is.
    Forum Member
    If they are using the charity to raise their profile, get free publicity and encourage others to donate, yes. Yes it is.

I can't see why they would have a problem with it. As was suggested earlier, they could all donate a flat fee so that they could then avail themselves of all the positive publicity and product promotion they liked.

As I said earlier, putting their money where their *concerned face* mouth is.

The charity is using their celebrity status as well, to get more attention. The celebs aren't forcing anyone to donate, if they were, I'd agree with you. But they are just singing a few songs to put up a nice show, and willing viewers of the public can donate money. ALL is voluntary. I still do not see the problem, so we just might have to agree to disagree here. :)
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are some people only happy when complaining?
    You are not forced to watch CiN nor are you forced to donate..so for gods sake just enjoy it for what it is.. I don't care if someone is on promoting themselves.. It's a fun show ..to raise awareness of charities and raise money for great causes... When did we become a nation of miserable sods .. Who have to find faulty with EVERYTHING
  • artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are some people only happy when complaining?
    You are not forced to watch CiN nor are you forced to donate..so for gods sake just enjoy it for what it is.. I don't care if someone is on promoting themselves.. It's a fun show ..to raise awareness of charities and raise money for great causes... When did we become a nation of miserable sods .. Who have to find faulty with EVERYTHING

I am presuming you are lumping me in with that, so I will give my pov. Why should a celeb benefit from the positive publicity of "helping raise money for a good cause" when all they did is what they would have been doing anyway - promoting themselves and their goods.

I have said nothing against CIN. My point is that the celebs should not be glorified for basically doing what they would have been doing anyway, above the millions of ordinary people who do go out of their way and often with little or no thanks.

Not quite the same as being a miserable sod.
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Why do people expect Terry Wogan to present CiN for free?

That's almsot emotional blackmail.
  • SarahJamSarahJam Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He gets paid to present?! Did Fern get paid? I can't stand the man personally so am hoping for someone else to take over soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artlesschaos
    No I'm not lumping anyone here..I said .. SOME .. if you count yourself as part of that SOME .. that's your choice.. I didn't make it personal to YOU
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a long way from when Billy Connolly and Lenny Henry and Victoria Wood made their video diaries from Somalia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    It's a long way from when Billy Connolly and Lenny Henry and Victoria Wood made their video diaries from Somalia.

It's to scripted now.. I liked it when they didn't know who would be turning up
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Mr Teacake wrote: »

1) Because the other guests on it are doing it for no monetary payment (publicity arguments aside);

2) It is a charity gig. Like "Live Aid" or "Secret Policeman's Ball". You don't charge for you time for these things.

3) Wogan is an extremely wealthy man. He doesn't need the money. Sheer greed.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    SarahJam wrote: »
    He gets paid to present?! Did Fern get paid? I can't stand the man personally so am hoping for someone else to take over soon.

Yes he does get paid. I worked it out on another thread, but his fee would seem to be about his standard hourly rate - it isn't even concessionary.
  • rammsteinqueenrammsteinqueen Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did enjoy Biffa nearly coming a cropper though.

God, such a pity she didn't fall on her arse! :D
  • Binger53Binger53 Posts: 62
    Forum Member

That's almsot emotional blackmail.

I have no expectations at all where Mr Wogan is concerned. However, I'd rather my licence fee be spent elsewhere.

I'm sure there are loads of talented presenters out there who would be delighted to completely waive their fee for the privilege of appearing on such a worthy cause as CiN.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member

One day out of the year free, for God alone knows how many days being paid a small fortune for talking all over records and presenting programs that would insult the intelligence of a gnat.

However, much as I detest Wogan, Chris Evans is much, much worse. Cannot stand his breakfast show, especially the Chilren In Need 'auctions' where listeners get to hear incredibly rich folk outbid each other for fantastic prizes, knowing full well than no ordinary person has got a prayer of winning... and yet, it's okay, 'cause the money goes to charity. Then there's the Carfest nonsense, where Evan gets to indulge himself and verbally wank about it on the radio. If he wants to raise money for charity, how about flogging the six million pound Ferrari he has in his garage? :mad:
    Forum Member
    It's a fun show ..to raise awareness of charities and raise money for great causes.

Who gave the BBC the right to focus year after year on a single sector; children. Why not Cancer Research, the British Heart Foundation, etc, etc?

As for being miserable, it's self-congratulatory twaddle like CiN that brings my spirits down. I don't need celebs telling me what to do with my money once a year, in fact I enjoy supporting my chosen charities 12 months a year, and never charge a fee!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who gave the BBC the right to focus year after year on a single sector; children. Why not Cancer Research, the British Heart Foundation, etc, etc?

As for being miserable, it's self-congratulatory twaddle like CiN that brings my spirits down. I don't need celebs telling me what to do with my money once a year, in fact I enjoy supporting my chosen charities 12 months a year, and never charge a fee!

They are not telling you what to do with your money.. And I also support my chosen charities... Who is charging a fee?
    Forum Member
    Who is charging a fee?

Wogan.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One day out of the year free, for God alone knows how many days being paid a small fortune for talking all over records and presenting programs that would insult the intelligence of a gnat.

However, much as I detest Wogan, Chris Evans is much, much worse. Cannot stand his breakfast show, especially the Chilren In Need 'auctions' where listeners get to hear incredibly rich folk outbid each other for fantastic prizes, knowing full well than no ordinary person has got a prayer of winning... and yet, it's okay, 'cause the money goes to charity. Then there's the Carfest nonsense, where Evan gets to indulge himself and verbally wank about it on the radio. If he wants to raise money for charity, how about flogging the six million pound Ferrari he has in his garage? :mad:

I totally agree with all of this. The auction for things that money can't buy. It sickens me. These people are not interested in giving to charity. They just want the opportunity to show off and rub shoulders with the rich and famous or to buy their spoiled brat of a daughter a present so she can brag to her chummies at private school how she's having lunch with a top celebrity chef. It's just an excuse for the rich to gloat and show off the power of their wealth live on radio. When the only people who stand a chance of getting them are those with hundreds of thousands of pounds of disposable income then shouldn't it be renamed 'the auction for the filthy rich.' as it would appear that money most certainly CAN buy these experiences, if you happen to have copious amounts of it to outbid everyone else.

I never understand why they put this out on national radio when 99% of listerns don't stand a hope in hell of winning any of these experiences. Perhaps they'd have better luck if they rounded up all the arristocrats and hooray Henrys and held the auction in a private location so the rest of us don't have to listen to their innate gloating.

As for CIN night, I thought the idea of charity was to take from the rich and give to the poor but in this case it seems to be rich celebs begging the poor British public for money whilst making money and free publicity by promoting their latest album. Then after their pretty half-hearted attempt to look like they actually care about the needy children and putting on the fake grief stricken face, they head off backstage to drink champagne and eat canapes in the green room before retiring to their 1st class hotel all of which is being paid for by the licence fee payer.

Nice :rolleyes:

Every year the biggest hypocrite of them all, the BBC, along with some of it's highest paid presenters ram this farce down the throats of the general British public whilst being paid some unjustifiably ridiculous fee for doing so. It's no wonder it leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths.
    Forum Member

Well, they have make CIN a yearly event, and there is really nothing wrong with it. I just feel like people want to complain for whatever reason, whenever celebrities are involved in anything.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every year the biggest hypocrite of them all, the BBC, along with some of it's highest paid presenters ram this farce down the throats of the general British public whilst being paid some unjustifiably ridiculous fee for doing so.

I am a licence fee payer and pay my taxes to the government who are supposed to ensure our kids are well looked after but instead, organisations like the BBC would prefer to spend it paying presenters unjustifiable salaries allowing the fatcats to get even fatter. The BBC is a government run organisation therefore ive already paid my dues AND Evans' and Wogan's wages. High time the government stumped up some of the money we give them in taxes to keep our children well supported instead of taking benefits off the disabled and taxing the poor and needy and then asking people like me to help support British kids. Don't get me wrong, I do support local charities but I won't give to CIN.

It's no wonder it leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    This reminds me of that episode of Friends where Phoebe tries to perform a completely selfless act but finds that every good deed she does somehow benefits her. Celebrities really can't win.

I really can't believe people are actually questioning the necessity of a charity like Children in Need. If you actually bothered to meet the people who are receiving help from the organisations Children in Need supports, you'd think very differently. There is no such thing as a government that provides perfect support to every citizen and paying taxes doesn't wash away all societal responsibility.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In some cases when celebrities are on there with something to promote it's possibly a case of them taking more than they are giving.
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I never understand why they put this out on national radio when 99% of listerns don't stand a hope in hell of winning any of these experiences.

Because we're all supposed to be thrilled and grateful that the fabulously wealthy would deign to spend their cash in such a fashion. I mean, they could be buying a new Ferrari, like Mr Evans. :rolleyes: