Options

Fifteen to One starts again next Saturday

Comments

• Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Join the club. Did you used to watch the original? If not have a look on youtube at one of the old episodes and you'll see why some of us are so disappointed with this reboot masquerading as 15 to 1.

Yeah I watched the original. Was a lot better.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched a bit of it today and found it dull as old dishwater. There's no life to the show. No urgency about it. It's just not very good.
  • Options
    TootlesTheTaxiTootlesTheTaxi Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    It's a shrill, nasal whine. Other than that it's fine...

I don't like her voice either, it's too high pitched for my taste, but I think she seems like quite a nice person so I feel a bit mean saying it and at least she is articulate intelligent .

The original Fifteen to One used to be rush home from school/uni must see viewing for me whereas this version is more I'll watch it if I'm in. I don't think it's terrible, but there is room for improvement. It's too long and waffly for a start, we don't need two ad breaks. I don't really like all the chatter with the contestants, but if they maybe did it for the final three only I won't mind. I also don't think Sandi should give out the extra bits of information when a customer is knocked out. It was awkward the other day, the lights had already gone out on the customer and she was still dishing out trivia.
    However, I do think there is a good variety to the questions and the contestants and it isn't always obvious who is going to win.
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    The original Fifteen to One used to be rush home from school/uni must see viewing for me whereas this version is more I'll watch it if I'm in.

In fairness, we didn't have 4OD then, so there were a lot of things that were 'rush home to see', whereas now it doesn't matter so much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I watched the original. Was a lot better.

Get over yourselves. Not only did my Mum watch the original, my brother was on the original too. Neither have anything bad to say about this (I am too young to remember it fondly).

Sandi Toksvig has been a fixture of some great panel games and game shows. She's lovely on this.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Ok, so because your mother used to watch it and your brother was on it back then it means we all have to like it now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why doesn't that weird guy look up? Is he autistic?

Because he clearly had curvature of the spine? Dick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Ok, so because your mother used to watch it and your brother was on it back then it means we all have to like it now?

No, it means there's little difference, and you're all just being ***** for the sake of being *****.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LadySponge wrote: »
    Get over yourselves. Not only did my Mum watch the original, my brother was on the original too. Neither have anything bad to say about this (I am too young to remember it fondly).

Sandi Toksvig has been a fixture of some great panel games and game shows. She's lovely on this.

I have nothing to "get over" thanks!

I preferred the original, nothing wrong with that, I like the originals with a lot of things. I liked the original better as it was just questions, I like quiz games like that, without a lot of talking.

I wasn't keen on Sandi Toksvig on her other quiz show on C4, but she's okay on this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also, if you 'all' can claim how much you loved it, then comparing it to people I know who also had strong feelings about the original isn't telling you all that you can't dislike it, but pointing out you're the standard of picky pricks that DS usually attracts. There's no difference in the quality of show - as it's kind of hard to do, when it's just a series of general knowledge questions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LadySponge I think you are just being argumentative for the sake of it. I have only watched one episode and said the original was better, I may change my mind after a few more watches.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you just come into this thread to insult other posters because that's all you seem to be doing.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LadySponge wrote: »
    No, it means there's little difference, and you're all just being ***** for the sake of being *****.

LOL absolute rubbish! It means nothing of the sort. It just means your mum and your brother don't think there's much difference.

PS - It might have been my ears playing tricks on me but it sounded like green lady in the final said Prada instead of Prado. Can't imagine Bill G allowing that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PS - It might have been my ears playing tricks on me but it sounded like green lady in the final said Prada instead of Prado. Can't imagine Bill G allowing that.

It's the production team who decide whether or not an answer is good enough to be accepted as correct, not the presenter.
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred the old series for two reasons I preferred the presenter and the questions were easier. There are too many geographical questions or questions about political leaders in obscure countries in the new version. I've just watched a segment from this old one and was able to answer a lot more questions than I can now.
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    LOL absolute rubbish! It means nothing of the sort. It just means your mum and your brother don't think there's much difference.

I thought that's what she said but I just assumed I'd misheard her as they would never allow such a bad mistake as a correct answer.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the production team who decide whether or not an answer is good enough to be accepted as correct, not the presenter.

William G Stewart was also MD of Regent Productions, the company that made the original series and, as such, would certainly have been involved in setting general guidelines regarding acceptability of answers. He also seemed pretty well informed regarding the questions he asked and, combined with his seniority, I would not be at all surprised if he had the final 'real-time' say as well. Sandi seems pretty clueless, tablet notwithstanding, and almost certainly has no such authority.

Nitpicking about what constitutes format, now this. What next? You seem to want to pick up on any potential discrepancy from people who don't share your view. You're clearly a 20 year old who still has much growing up to do. In the meantime I suggest you stick to your Holby and Casualty threads.
  • Options
    SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said I wasn't going to complain any more but watching Sandi read her titbits and trivia after each question (and there is no doubt at all that she is reading them off the tablet,you can see it clearly,she's not conjuring them all up from memory) really is quite tiresome. I can't think of another quiz that does this. Do we really need to have it explained to us what a Grand Slam tennis tournament is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incidentally I don't know why people that go on these things don't learn all the Booker prize winners. They come up ALL the time. I remember Paul Sinna on The Chase saying he had learned them all,they come up so often.

If you used one of those peg or picture association memory techniques,you could learn them all in a couple of hours. Refresh every few weeks or so to keep the pictures in your head. That's how I learned all the US State capitals. Although they don't come up nearly as often.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Incidentally I don't know why people that go on these things don't learn all the Booker prize winners. They come up ALL the time. I remember Paul Sinna on The Chase saying he had learned them all,they come up so often.
    It's common for quizzers to remember lists.

It's slightly different than having general knowledge on a subject more of a rememberance technique.

Other popular ones are kings & queens and national flags.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You sound sure. Have you had it confimed by the production team?

In Only Connect the host does get to decide on whether to accept an answer on some occasions. The question editor used to post in the thread and confirmed it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's common for quizzers to remember lists.

It's slightly different than having general knowledge on a subject more of a rememberance technique.

Other popular ones are kings & queens and national flags.

Indeed,see my edited post above yours. You must have posted your reply while I was editing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those podiums with the lives on them are so badly designed that in the wide shots you can't tell the difference between people with three lives and two lives.

Cheryl made the final!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In Only Connect the host does get to decide on whether to accept an answer on some occasions. The question editor used to post in the thread and confirmed it.

No I haven't; I just can't see why the host would get the final say. What would happen if a word had a different pronunciation to how it was spelt, and the host didn't know the pronunciation and thought that the correct answer was wrong? In this situation it may be slightly different to normal as William G actually was the producer of the show, but I would imagine that at the time he was presenting it he had to focus more on presenting duties that production duties (although I can't prove that).

Actually, I did hear an anecdote about this some time ago. Apparently on the original run, there was a contestant who gave a controversial answer, and they had to turn off the cameras and keep the contestants waiting for ten minutes while it was decided whether or not that answer could be accepted. Eventually it was decided that it couldn't be, and they had to re-film that bit with the contestant giving the same answer as before (which they now knew was wrong).
    Nitpicking about what constitutes format, now this. What next? You seem to want to pick up on any potential discrepancy from people who don't share your view. You're clearly a 20 year old who still has much growing up to do. In the meantime I suggest you stick to your Holby and Casualty threads.

Not at all. People can share or dispute my opinion if they wish to, that's what a forum thread is for. I've defended this version of the show from some of the people who haven't appreciated it, but that doesn't mean to say that they have no right to state their opinion, just as that cannot be said about me either.

And for the record, I don't believe that my age has anything to do with the validity of my opinions here, nor does my history on other Digital Spy forums.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sandi Toksvig is very dumpy/frumpy, she should try to look a bit more feminine & glamorous.