What's the roughest part of the USA you've ever been to?.

1235»

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    alley`s the roughest place I've ever been, all the people down there livin` for their whisky, wine, and gin.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    I was in a cafe in San Francisco and they only had white sugar. That was pretty rough.
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We found parts of Denver quite intimidating,especially on buses.The downtown area was OK,but where we were staying in the east of the city was quite unfriendly.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baltimore. Corrupt people in charge, full of gangs like The Barksdale Crew and ruthless killers such as Marlo Stanfield.

Errr, you do realise it was a drama? :o:D
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've stayed in hundreds of rank rotten Motel 6s throughout the USA and never had an unpleasant experience, OK the bedsheets looked a bit tatty and my motel neighbours were of the lower orders but I never felt scared or uneasy once.

I did arrive one night to check in at a pre booked Motel to find that place was full of Hell's Angels, so I tactfully decamped to a Super 8 up the road. Better to lose $40 than be buried in a roadside shallow grave off I-40.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO Motel 6 is rather like Aldi and Lidl - great value but often despised by snobs. Super 8 are also good, a bit more expensive and a bit more luxurious. Independent family run "mom & pop" motels can be good but standards vary. Far more expensive accommodation options are available of course, both chains and independents, and they obviously serve a market, but on a road trip all you really need is a clean safe place to spend the night. Staying in small towns and on the outskirts of big cities will save money compared to city centres, as will staying outside national parks but close enough to run in for the day. But these are lifestyle decisions and personal opinions with no universal rights and wrongs. The same goes for the options of renting an RV or a simple campervan instead of renting a car and using motels, or spending the entire holiday in one place instead of doing a road trip.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't go myself but my sister once visited Washington, she said it was O.K. around the main tourist sites, but when you get just a short distance from the White House it is where the gangs hangout in the poor areas, she said she didn't feel safe and couldn't get away fast enough.
    When we went to Miami we were picked up at the airport but our driver took the wrong exit from the motorway and we ended up in the poor Cuban area, which was very rough and shootings are a regular occurrence.
  • Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I didn't go myself but my sister once visited Washington, she said it was O.K. around the main tourist sites, but when you get just a short distance from the White House it is where the gangs hangout in the poor areas, she said she didn't feel safe and couldn't get away fast enough.
    When we went to Miami we were picked up at the airport but our driver took the wrong exit from the motorway and we ended up in the poor Cuban area, which was very rough and shootings are a regular occurrence.

That's Washington D.C., Washington itself is a different place (just for future reference).

I have to admit, the 48 hours I spent around Washington D.C. were lovely, especially Georgetown, and I didn't see any gangs at all. Your sister might be a bit highly strung! (Unless it was the 70s or something?)