Options

Annoyed at so-called Torchwood/JB Fans...(BIG Plot Spoilers!)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
Forum Member
As a member of a lot of forums and web-based messaging lists for fans of both Torchwood and John Barrowman, I am appalled at the amount of immature and over-the-top angry people who are blaming John for the somewhat
'low ending'
of COE and claiming that they are no longer his fans, i've even seen comments like
'i'll wipe my ipod of his music'.

Get a grip people, it's not John's fault that what happened in COE might not have been to your tastes- all he did was the acting, not the scripting or broadcasting.

I think he did an amazing job- his raw emotion and delivery of his lines were beyond stunning- the character development too.

Ok, so i've seen some people counter that with
'oh but at the conventions John said it would be amazing, full of Janto, fantastic ending but he lied'
- have you not considered that he's under a contractual obligation not to give away anything of the plots of Torchwood's upcoming episodes? If he had told you all the bad things that happened and had spoken about this series in a bad light, do you really think so many people would've watched it?

Now we move onto the comments about RTD, ok so I personally wish that Ianto didn't have to die, and that Jack didn't have to use his grandson to defeat the 456, but without that in the plot, we as an audience wouldn't have seen such an amazing, riveting and deeply emotional story, especially the view of Cpt Jack's darker character development throughout each series leading up to this. And the parallels between the events in COE and the harsh governmental decissions to our own governments.

RTD isn't killing off Torchwood, he's preparing a setting for a series 4 (hopefully commissioned), that will be more amazing than ever before! And if that's not the case, then haven't you heard the saying 'killing something while it's big allows it to be remembered'.

RTD doesn't deserve comments like
'oh he's ruined Torchwood' 'i'm no longer his fan' 'he doesn't deserve to write for torchwood'.

RTD GAVE us Torchwood... Torchwood is his baby. It's within his right to kill off whoever he pleases and to write storylines in whatever way he wants.

I personally, LOVE Torchwood- COE and I will always love Torchwood as a whole, and RTD, and never will I stop being a fan of JB.

None of them deserve your hatred, for all of them have delievered to you a most stunning TV Series that has affected a whole load of us. And as far as I'm considered, those who claim to now hate Torchwood, RTD and JB, were never really true fans in the first place.

Comments

• Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'i'll wipe my ipod of his music'.

Whoever said that needs help :yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »

Indeed, I do worry for their health.
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »

For having his music on their ipod to begin with, I'd say they are beyond help already. ;)
  • Options
    ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    For having his music on their ipod to begin with, I'd say they are beyond help already. ;)

haha was about to say the same thing! :D
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    It just shows you how many idiots are on the internet... :p

I also find it amusing that people say things like RTD has ruined it, far from it, the mini series episodes have been some of the BEST yet since it started.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It just shows you how many idiots are on the internet... :p

I also find it amusing that people say things like RTD has ruined it, far from it, the mini series episodes have been some of the BEST yet since it started.

I agree. I hope series 4 is smaller than what series 1 and 2 have been, perhaps 8 episodes not 5 like series 3, as I reckon they could make something fit that scale and be just as great.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only answer to that is to not let yourself become a fan or you can end up getting a bit like that.

I'm no fan of John Barrowman but I thought that this new story was very good.
    Sure I could nitpick and criticise bits if I wanted to, I usually do:D, but I can't really fault the approach to this new story.
    Because I think that the important aspects to the story were very well realised and executed, and taking it all as a whole I think it's important to acknowledge that.

If you become a fan of something and end up projecting romanticised notions of how the actor/character should behave, then I'd say that it's that being a 'fan' thing which is really the problem.

And as for RTD, I think it's the best thing he's done for either Doctor Who or Torchwood.
    This was supposed to be an adult show and I think he finally nailed it.
    I think that this was the darkest thing he's done and I have to commend him for it.
    I think that for an adult TV show you sometimes have to show one or two very dark scenes in order to appreciate the light.
    I was actually shocked that he went as far as he did, and am so glad that he went for it. In a way it was very brave writing.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I remember correctly wasn't one of RTD's main themes in series 1 of Doctor Who to be careful to not worship an idol with religious zeal because it can make you go a bit loopy?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TorchyTD wrote: »
    As a member of a lot of forums and web-based messaging lists for fans of both Torchwood and John Barrowman, I am appalled at the amount of immature and over-the-top angry people who are blaming John for the somewhat of COE and claiming that they are no longer his fans, i've even seen comments like

Get a grip people, it's not John's fault that what happened in COE might not have been to your tastes- all he did was the acting, not the scripting or broadcasting.

I think he did an amazing job- his raw emotion and delivery of his lines were beyond stunning- the character development too.

Ok, so i've seen some people counter that with - have you not considered that he's under a contractual obligation not to give away anything of the plots of Torchwood's upcoming episodes? If he had told you all the bad things that happened and had spoken about this series in a bad light, do you really think so many people would've watched it?

Now we move onto the comments about RTD, ok so I personally wish that Ianto didn't have to die, and that Jack didn't have to use his grandson to defeat the 456, but without that in the plot, we as an audience wouldn't have seen such an amazing, riveting and deeply emotional story, especially the view of Cpt Jack's darker character development throughout each series leading up to this. And the parallels between the events in COE and the harsh governmental decissions to our own governments.

RTD isn't killing off Torchwood, he's preparing a setting for a series 4 (hopefully commissioned), that will be more amazing than ever before! And if that's not the case, then haven't you heard the saying 'killing something while it's big allows it to be remembered'.

RTD doesn't deserve comments like

RTD GAVE us Torchwood... Torchwood is his baby. It's within his right to kill off whoever he pleases and to write storylines in whatever way he wants.

I personally, LOVE Torchwood- COE and I will always love Torchwood as a whole, and RTD, and never will I stop being a fan of JB.

None of them deserve your hatred, for all of them have delievered to you a most stunning TV Series that has affected a whole load of us. And as far as I'm considered, those who claim to now hate Torchwood, RTD and JB, were never really true fans in the first place.

A very goos and well-structured, mature post, and one which puts into sharp relief the rather immature "I want, I want and I cry if I don't get" sort of statements from those whom you describe.

It's about time that some peopel realised that good drama does not have to be happy, it does not have to have a happy ever after ending, neither do all protagonists survive. That only reflects life, and life's dilemmas.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With this week's story RTD has clearly been aiming to stretch viewers' emotions to breaking point. And quite right too. That's what good drama should be about.

So we have powerful scenes like the governmnet deciding which 10% of children to sacrifice. Or the PM telling Frobisher he must sacrifice his daughters so that the governmnet is seen to be affected by the loss as well. Or Frobisher killing his family and himself because he can't bear to lose his girls. Or Captain Jack having to sacrifice his grandson to save the 10%.

Also, the death of much-loved regular characters is hardly unique to Torchwood. See also Coronation Street, Eastenders, Emmerdale, Heartbeat, Casualty, Waking The Dead, Cracker, Spooks, Robin Hood, Bergarac, Inspector Morse etc etc etc.

You're absolutely right, OP. These people should calm down and remember it's just fiction. And bloody good fiction at that.

Alternately, RTD may be delighted by such extreme reactions as it shows his drama has made an impact and got under people's skin.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are always some who take these things too seriously, I feel quite a lot of pity for them, tbh. I remember that some of them took the possible Face of Boe twist quite badly too, becuase they found the idea of Jack becoming the Face of Boe 'offensive'.

People making comments like those that you describe really only make themselves look rather pathetic and hysterical. It's hard to take such people seriously in any case.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I second what Alrightmate says.

I have watched DW since I saw episode 1 live in 1963 and seen all the new series and Torchwood.

This was RTDs best work in the genre and some of the best DW related material ever seen on TV.

Torchwood finally made it as the series it was struggling to become and unlike many things on TV has got better and better with each passing year.

The realism and genuine sense of threat and danger would not have resulted without the decisions taken in the writing to 'murder your darlings' as authors are often taught to do.

I have spoken with several people who would never watch DW or Torchwood because they do not do space fiction but who got hooked on this because 'it was not science fiction, was it?'

Well, yes, it actually was but the best science fiction transcends its genre and becomes acceptable as just fiction. Battlestar Glactica did that against all the odds and Torchwood has just achieved the same rare feat.

It now has a lot of new fans who will watch again if this standard is maintained.

That is the real challenge as I do not think you can now go back to episodes with silly stories. This format worked superbly and I think it has to be more single stories from now on with possibly just Jack as the new Quatermass as this story reminded me of the impact something like Quatermass and the Pit did as an episodic series when I was little. I still remember it 50 years later and can recall where I was when I watched it.

I think this mini series will have a similar longevity.

And Dr Who, whilst catering for a different audience, now has a fight on its hands because many of its viewers are suddenly going to expect something as good as this in future and that might be the first enemy the new Doctor will struggle to overcome.

However, just the fact that they are going to have to try because of the boldness of approach and strength of the writing, acting, directing etc - plus the prospect of (surely) more mini series from Torchwood to come is worth any scacrifices you might think you made by losing favourite characters.

British TV finally regained its status from the USA as the home of great mainstream sci fi.

And I never thought I would be saying that when I heard Torchwood was moving to BBC 1.

Kudos to everyone involved and what a missed opportunity by whoever did not cast Cush Jumbo as the new companion in DW.

Although that will be to Torchwood's gain in series 4 as she surely has to come back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    A very goos and well-structured, mature post, and one which puts into sharp relief the rather immature "I want, I want and I cry if I don't get" sort of statements from those whom you describe.

It's about time that some peopel realised that good drama does not have to be happy, it does not have to have a happy ever after ending, neither do all protagonists survive. That only reflects life, and life's dilemmas.

Thank you :), i'm glad that there are people out there who agree with me on this.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only answer to that is to not let yourself become a fan or you can end up getting a bit like that.

I think it's perfectly possible to be a fan and not end up getting like that though. I think where the problem comes is when people start thinking that being a fan gives them a sense of entitlement as to how a characaters story is played out on screen and to turn on them if what they want doesn't come to pass.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    It seems that some of the less articulate fans do not understand the difference between acting and real life.
    Let them bathe in their strange little world, and let us, the real fans, enjoy the fact that TW was one of the best programmes on the telly this year. :)
  • Options
    Maid MarianMaid Marian Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Well done TorchyTD - what you have put into words is exactly how I feel about the whole 'it's JB's fault' situation.

I've actually sat with my jaw on the table reading some of the ridiculous things that people have been saying :rolleyes:
  • Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a phenomena that has come about due to the success of "Doctor Who" in it's new form. Let's not forget viewrs who joined the whoniverse then were 4 years younger and 4 years more suggestible. "Doctor Who" eschews blood and any proper kiling off of regulars.

We also have the world of slash fiction - I'm sure more has gone on there with Jack and Ianto than anything we've seen or even had intimated on screen. Mostly written by non male, non-British, non-gay persons I'd hazard.

These two things combined have created that lunatic response.

But we are not alone - Eastenders has been cursed with the same saddoes since Danielle was killed.

G
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    cobaltmale wrote: »

We also have the world of slash fiction - I'm sure more has gone on there with Jack and Ianto than anything we've seen or even had intimated on screen. Mostly written by non male, non-British, non-gay persons I'd hazard.

G

Are you saying that non British females are hysterical ? ;)

I'm just joking, I've read some of your other posts and I guess that you meant that some fan fictions were written by some persons who have no idea what the reality of a gay relationship is in Britain nowadays.
    And that some of these persons, being female and having no idea of what a gay relationship is, filled their stories with the pathetic standards of most of heterosexual romance stories, added with a slice of prejudiced ideas.

Of course, we are talking about the reality of a gay relationship in which one partner is immortal, but I see your point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was worse! with the Danielle storyline. Crap like boycotting Eastenders and other moronic things like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was worse! with the Danielle storyline. Crap like boycotting Eastenders and other moronic things like it.

Not sure I see your overall point there.

My point was writers making great drama where 'eggs are broken'. That goes for both.

G
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Solamenn wrote: »

Of course, we are talking about the reality of a gay relationship in which one partner is immortal, but I see your point.

Yes, I can see you see my point.

G
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was just pointing out how the Danielle thing with fans was worse than Torchwood so far, that's all...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just pointing out how the Danielle thing with fans was worse than Torchwood so far, that's all...

Exactly, 'so far'. But it's the same selfish attitude displayed when fans think they somehow 'own' characters.

G
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes I know, wasn't disagreeing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I know, wasn't disagreeing.

Good, you just weren't clear :)

I think the attitude is dangerously close to stalker-ism. There, not only does a person feel that by loving a character so much that they own them, they go on to project that to the actor.

We should all do whatever we can to nip this in the bud.

G