New channel "Irish TV" starts May 1st Freesat/Sky/PBS

mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone who knows the "public access" channels on 400-402 (Showcase/Information) will see that one of them will become Irish TV - a venture to promote local Ireland/Irish themed matters in the overseas market. Unlike many of these enterprises this one has proper financial backing.
From Thursday 1 May 2014, the channel will broadcast across the UK, Ireland and Europe on Satellite and Freesat as well as on the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) in the US.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0414/608694-irish-tv/

http://www.u.tv/News/TV-channel-brings-30-jobs-to-NI/6f368fc2-da9d-4f65-a11f-475febee9860

They should consider a better name though - its so generic that even googling for information threw up many general tv or Ireland returns.

Comments

• omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irish TV is pretty much already running on Showcase 1 (Sky 191/Freesat 400). It has been running nothing but Irish community programmes since 1st April, but the name hasn't changed yet.

http://information.tv/WhatIsOnShowcaseTv/TheSchedule/
  • Paul_CullotyPaul_Culloty Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see there being much of a potential audience globally - domestic content for RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 is available globally through their respective on-line players, and similarly local news content is freely available, so the raison d'etre that drove Tara TV is obsolete. There's an argument for an ITV-style network of regional stations, building on the success of local radio, but the content is so limited as to have little domestic appeal.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    I love this channel so far, lots of country music. Its like having our own little Nashville here in the UK. When does it start on Virgin anyone know?
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this channel so far, lots of country music. Its like having our own little Nashville here in the UK. When does it start on Virgin anyone know?
    I never knew that Ireland had such a big country music scene until I saw the film Small Engine Repair

probably the best channel promoting a country I've seen is Deutsche Welle which interestingly enough doesn't appear to be available in the UK but you can get an idea of the programs here
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    I never knew that Ireland had such a big country music scene until I saw the film Small Engine Repair

probably the best channel promoting a country I've seen is Deutsche Welle which interestingly enough doesn't appear to be available in the UK but you can get an idea of the programs here
    My Channel on Sky show some Deutsche Welle programmes, Freesat viewers can watch it also, but they'll need to manually tune it.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    My Channel on Sky show some Deutsche Welle programmes, Freesat viewers can watch it also, but they'll need to manually tune it.
    Probably cos DW don't charge channels re-broadcast fees. Can't believe that channel's still around! They use to show old L!ve TV repeats and little else.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

Country music is quite popular here. Anyone remember the Garth Brooks concet fiasco? :D
  • gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think i'll give it a miss im still holding out for RTE International ;)
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    gamez-fan wrote: »
    I think i'll give it a miss im still holding out for RTE International ;)

Given the state of RTE's finances, I regret to say that we'll probably not be seeing either an RTE International or even RTE News Now (which I think is fine) on British TV screens because of the cost issue.

Since the RTE TV channels are encrypted on satellite, Irish expatriates in the UK only have access to RTE radio stations and the BBC NI and UTV TV channels so I am sure that the free to air Irish TV channel will be appreciated by quite a few Irish expatriates.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Country music would have drawn quite a few of it's influences from Irish folk music (brought there by emigrants of course) so in a way, it's the music coming home.