Options

Anybody ever stayed in a block of flats?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anybody ever stayed in flats with a secure door entry? Is it usually quiet and do you see your neighbours often? I've looked at these houses to rent but ideally a front door is better.

Comments

• Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    My friend stays in such a place. Yes it was quiet but that depends on the neighbourhood. Communal corridors are usually empty so you don't see your neighbours unless you bump into them. Flats have front doors too.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    Yes, we've lived in a block of flats for years. The communal front door has an entryphone to "buzz" people in. Its pretty secure, our own flat front doors are extremely secure too with decent locks.

On the whole not much noise from neighbours but we can sometimes hear them as the flats are all "loft" style with wooden floors so if you shift furniture or walk across them in hard shoes it can be heard.

We're good friends with one set of our neighbours so see them all the time. The others are nice but we don't really see them all that often, just on "nodding" terms really.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first home was a ground floor flat with secure entry that you buzzed in. It was a luxury flat that I really liked. I only had one problem with polish neighbours who were renting accross from me. The guy decided to get drunk and go behind the wheel and he crashed into the outside wall of my flat. They were always playing loud music which was a problem. After the accident they were evicted.

You can get flats with there own front door but they are quite rare well in Scotland anyway maybe not down south. The only problem with flats is neighbours renting and people moving in and out all the time. Some renters can be great others a nightmare.
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both my younger sister and my mother live in one (not the same one, mind) and I think they're horrible. It might just be the area that they are, but they look run down, dodgy and both of them have dodgy neighbours. I'd never live in one, personally. My sister, especially, struggles because she has two young children that she has to get up and down a flight of stairs (no lift) which isn't easy for her. She is looking at moving.

However, it does depend on the area & your neighbours I think, as with every where and every property. The only reason I'd never live in one is because I like houses, and I'd be really paranoid about the people below hearing me, and hearing the people above!
  • Options
    clycly Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both my younger sister and my mother live in one (not the same one, mind) and I think they're horrible.

Awww got to disagree with you on this as i think your younger sister and mother are probably very nice and not horrible at all ;-)
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have said it depends where it is until a couple of years ago. Now i think they all go bad eventually. I wouldn't be against blocks of flats being used as a form of benefit sanctioning for people who haven't worked for decades but if you have the choice i'd recommend steering clear because it only takes one neighbour making persistent noise for it to become unbearable.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used to live in a ground floor flat in a block of five. We did used to see our neighbours from time to time, and I even knew the toilet habits of the one who lived above us because we could hear her quite clearly.

I hated it, I hated that we were next to the communal door and people used to let it slam at all hours which used to disturb us and I hated lying in bed being able to hear the woman upstairs having a poo. Never again.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    Its the smell of stale cigarette smoke in the stairwell that gets me. Its from people who smoke indoors and eventually it oozes into the stairwell and hangs there, all stale and fusty. It reminds me of going into a cheap pub before the smoking ban before it had opened - the smell of tar was strong in the air, everything yellow and stained. I don't like that smell at all.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Not for me flats or apartments. I like being able to walk all the way around the whole of my own house. so prefer detached.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine's quiet and I have my own front door. It's also warmer than a house because there are flats on either side, and above and below. You have to be aware of the noise you're making but it's fine. Very little chance of being broken into, though our mailboxes have been done twice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Mine's quiet and I have my own front door. It's also warmer than a house because there are flats on either side, and above and below. You have to be aware of the noise you're making but it's fine. Very little chance of being broken into, though our mailboxes have been done twice.

Yes, a lot of single people women in particular feel safer in a flat (a nice one, obviously; no one feels safer in a terrible, run-down block full of graffiti and needles on the stairs.) The down-side to really nice flats is obviously the service charges; there are some I know of where the service charges are £4000 a year, though the flats and gardens are lovely.

When my house was gutted by fire I was re-housed for six months in a third floor flat, and spent the entire 6 months reflecting that it would be impossible to escape through the window if the flat was on fire. :cry:
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Fred Wigg Tower in Leytonstone was quite an experience. Best to keep the curtains shut to avoid seeing all the people flying past the windows from the floors above.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Not for me flats or apartments. I like being able to walk all the way around the whole of my own house. so prefer detached.

Personally I prefer to live in a house with acres of beautifully tended grounds, and spacious quarters for the servants.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody ever stayed in flats with a secure door entry? Is it usually quiet and do you see your neighbours often? I've looked at these houses to rent but ideally a front door is better.
    I grew up on the ground floor of a block of maisonettes, where there were communal front and rear doors. This was in the 70s/80s before there were secure doors fitted as standard, so anyone could go through them. We still had our own secure front door, so it was no different really. There was the odd disagreement over who cleans "the close" or who puts the bins out or whose kid is taking up too much space with their bike, but it was also a place where neighbours could have a quick chat in passing, or kids could play if they were quiet. It was never a noisy area. People always expect a bit of privacy and peace/quiet in these places too. It is their home after all. :)
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, a lot of single people women in particular feel safer in a flat (a nice one, obviously; no one feels safer in a terrible, run-down block full of graffiti and needles on the stairs.) The down-side to really nice flats is obviously the service charges; there are some I know of where the service charges are £4000 a year, though the flats and gardens are lovely.

When my house was gutted by fire I was re-housed for six months in a third floor flat, and spent the entire 6 months reflecting that it would be impossible to escape through the window if the flat was on fire. :cry:

What a daft place to re-house you! Hope you kept something heavy nearby to smash the window with. Sounds well scary.

Yes, flats can feel safer, especially if you're not on the ground/lower ground floor. You have to trust other people to keep the main door shut, however, which doesn't always happen.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Personally I prefer to live in a house with acres of beautifully tended grounds, and spacious quarters for the servants.

So would your neighbours I expect. :p
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have lived in some horrible flat before. Mainly because of neighbours and doors slamming. Where I am now there's only two other flats and it seems pretty quiet. (Not been here long though). People are right though who say it only takes one bad neighbour to make it hell to live in. You really need to suss the area and block out before you move in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    We lived in a flat like you describe a few years back. Over the course of the year we were there I could count on one hand the number of times we saw/heard anyone else from the building. I felt very cut off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I lived on the top of 4 floors once. Generally speaking OK. Lots of flats are rented which means quite a high turnover of tenants who don't necessarily have the respect for the building that an owner occupier would afford, but at the same time if you get particularly bad or noisy neighbours they are not likely to be around forever.

We were lucky in that the management company were always on top of things, for example disposing of 3-piece-suits that people had just dumped in the communal bin area.

Biggest problem I actually faced was that there was a certain condition that could occur in the wastewater plumbing of the building - I think something like if 2 or more of the flats directly below me flushed their toilets at the same time, it would create enough suction in the downpipe to suck all the water out of the u-bend of one of my toilets, and then of course the place stinks of that "drain" smell until you can flush it again.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    The Fred Wigg Tower in Leytonstone was quite an experience. Best to keep the curtains shut to avoid seeing all the people flying past the windows from the floors above.

EEEK!

Perhaps they were jumping from this

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/tower-block-residents-rescued-from-blaze-6378006.html

I can't place where they are....obviously around The Flats*.

*not those sort of flats.....
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I live in a small block of flats with secure door entry that was built on these principles
    http://www.securedbydesign.com/professionals/index.aspx

Apparently it used to be the location of the most horrible council estate in the area - I only found this out when a cabbie refused to drive into my street "Sorry love ain't going in there, not safe".
    I had to laugh when he finally did, he was like "Ooh it's all lovely now, where's the estate gone??" They flattened it, that's what.

I so wish Secured By Design had been in place in the 60s and 70s when they built all those hideous council estates in this city.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    It's inevitable that you'll hear noise from neighbours - especially from above. You always do in my experience.

If you're not bothered by that then go for it.

If you can find a flat in a block where you have elderly neighbours that would be good. They are quiet and you have loads of people watching your flat 24/7.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Depends entirely on the neighbours.

Is it a council-owned building?
    They have a habit of lumping all the "dead wood" in together so you can quite easily find yourself surrounded by arseholes.

It can be quite a pleasant little sub-community if your neighbours are all decent sorts but it can also be a nightmare if they're not.

If you can be bothered, I'd suggest knocking on a few of the doors and saying that you might be moving in and you were wondering what the building is like etc.
    You don't have to pay much attention to their opinions but you can use the conversation to decide whether the people are arseholes or not.
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    It's inevitable that you'll hear noise from neighbours - especially from above. You always do in my experience.

If you're not bothered by that then go for it.

If you can find a flat in a block where you have elderly neighbours that would be good. They are quiet and you have loads of people watching your flat 24/7.

Nope. I get zero noise from above, admittedly this is a new built and not a Victorian conversion (where noise issues can be horrendous). If I didn't know the young couple who live above me I would have naturally assumed their flat is unoccupied.
    The whole building is concrete, glass and steel.

If I ever meet the architect of this place I'll happily buy him a beer for a job truly well done.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not after seeing this http://youtu.be/oltpTeqCj1g