Options

The original Scott was much cuter

radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Upon watching the first episode of neighbours from 1985 when it was on the seven network, I must confess I thought the first Scott Robinson was much cuter.

By the way, Jason Donavon auditioned alongside the original and was rejected as the first was a better actor. When the soap moved to the ten network this recast was reversed as they now wanted better looking younger cast.

Comments

• Options
    fozzie74fozzie74 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    radyag wrote: »
    Upon watching the first episode of neighbours from 1985 when it was on the seven network, I must confess I thought the first Scott Robinson was much cuter.

By the way, Jason Donavon auditioned alongside the original and was rejected as the first was a better actor. When the soap moved to the ten network this recast was reversed as they now wanted better looking younger cast.

I remember being gutted at the time that Darius Perkins had been replaced by Jason - i soon came round to the idea and fancied him (hey i was young!).
    Darius had a big (but short) role in home and away a few years later iirc, seem to remember him blaming himself for his parents car crash death or something.

Didn't realise until reading on here in the anniversary week that he was in Neighbours last year!! (Despite watching all the eps with him in last year i just didn't twig!)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s14/neighbours/news/a497181/former-neighbours-star-darius-perkins-to-join-cast-as-marty-kranjancic.html#~p7RcxW3uhd8QwP
    http://perfectblend.net/features/interview-perkins.htm

soaps-neighbours-darius-perkins-stefan-dennis.jpg
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member

I thought Jason Donovan auditioned for Danny Ramsay and Guy Pearce originally auditioned for Scott. Might be wrong though.

I've always preferred Darius Perkins to Jason Donovan - thought he was better at the time (better actor and 'fitted' in with the Robinson siblings better) and still do now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fozzie74 wrote: »
    I remember being gutted at the time that Darius Perkins had been replaced by Jason - i soon came round to the idea and fancied him (hey i was young!).
    Darius had a big (but short) role in home and away a few years later iirc, seem to remember him blaming himself for his parents car crash death or something.

Didn't realise until reading on here in the anniversary week that he was in Neighbours last year!! (Despite watching all the eps with him in last year i just didn't twig!)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s14/neighbours/news/a497181/former-neighbours-star-darius-perkins-to-join-cast-as-marty-kranjancic.html#~p7RcxW3uhd8QwP

Yes, he was the sports teachers younger brother, Gary Samuels (i think) who Carly initially accused of having raped her because he looked like the man that had a year or so earlier. She then dated him when she realised he'd been wrong but he turned out to have a lot of psych problems, stemming from him having caused his parents death by playing a practical joke on them. Basically he put a fake spider in the visor, when his dad pulled it down he got such a shock he swerved the car, drove into the Sun and ended up crashing.

So it was kind of a baddie, then goodie, then baddie role all within the space of about 6 weeks!
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I thought Jason Donovan auditioned for Danny Ramsay and Guy Pearce originally auditioned for Scott. Might be wrong though.

I've always preferred Darius Perkins to Jason Donovan - thought he was better at the time (better actor and 'fitted' in with the Robinson siblings better) and still do now.

Yes that's right. Jason said that in his autobiography. I thought Darius was better in the role too. He looked more like Paul than Jason did. I think they just wanted a pretty boy to play Scott so they recast him.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was better looking imo. A bit awkward and gangly too. All I remember about JDs Scott was that he was a right Moaning Minnie.
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I always preferred Darius Perkin's Scott. I never thought Jason was a looker. My favourite time for Neighbours was before the Scott & Charlene era. I was never a Kylie fan either.
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    He was better looking imo. A bit awkward and gangly too. All I remember about JDs Scott was that he was a right Moaning Minnie.

Yeah original Scott was softer and easier going.
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darius Perkins was probably a better actor and looked like a Robinson. I believe he was fired due to some professional lapses including lateness. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_Perkins

I never really liked Jason Donovan as Scott. It was a bit personality transplant as Perkins' Scott was a bit shy and awkward. I also found Donovan's squeaky voice quite annoying.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    I always preferred Darius Perkin's Scott. I never thought Jason was a looker. My favourite time for Neighbours was before the Scott & Charlene era. I was never a Kylie fan either.

I don't really remember the show before Scott & Charlene, I think I started watching the show in 1987.
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    I don't really remember the show before Scott & Charlene, I think I started watching the show in 1987.

The Ramsays were Max, Maria, Shane & Danny. Madge (Max's sister) didn't turn up till about year two. Des and Daphne mainly took centre stage in the early days.
  • Options
    zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fozzie74 wrote: »

He was in Prisoner Cell Block H as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, he was the sports teachers younger brother, Gary Samuels (i think) who Carly initially accused of having raped her because he looked like the man that had a year or so earlier. She then dated him when she realised he'd been wrong but he turned out to have a lot of psych problems, stemming from him having caused his parents death by playing a practical joke on them. Basically he put a fake spider in the visor, when his dad pulled it down he got such a shock he swerved the car, drove into the Sun and ended up crashing.

So it was kind of a baddie, then goodie, then baddie role all within the space of about 6 weeks!

Didn't he kill himself by jumping off a cliff, nearly landing on Alf Stewart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darius Perkins was probably a better actor and looked like a Robinson. I believe he was fired due to some professional lapses including lateness. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_Perkins

I never really liked Jason Donovan as Scott. It was a bit personality transplant as Perkins' Scott was a bit shy and awkward. I also found Donovan's squeaky voice quite annoying.

He definitely looked and acted like Jims son. He also looked a bit like the original Julie too. Which didn't really matter to Scott 2 as Julie left pretty early on. I also liked his friendship with Danny Ramsay. Wonder how Darius would have been with with Kylie and Guy Pearce had he been kept on by Channel 10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    He definitely looked and acted like Jims son. He also looked a bit like the original Julie too. Which didn't really matter to Scott 2 as Julie left pretty early on. I also liked his friendship with Danny Ramsay. Wonder how Darius would have been with with Kylie and Guy Pearce had he been kept on by Channel 10.

Interesting thought, but Grundy and ten wanted a better looking young lot, hence the reason why jd was brought in and guy Pearce.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting thought, but Grundy and ten wanted a better looking young lot, hence the reason why jd was brought in and guy Pearce.

As someone else mentioned I always thought he was axed due to poor time keeping/poor attitude etc.
  • Options
    Edward_QuackensEdward_Quackens Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Didn't he kill himself by jumping off a cliff, nearly landing on Alf Stewart.
    Yes he did a prank where he would jump off one cliff then land on another smaller cliff. Unfortunately the last time he did it to Carly it went wrong and he plunged to his death. Alf was fishing off Stewart's point and saw him fall. Not sure he nearly landed on Alf but it was shocking enough to make him proclaim "strewth!".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes he did a prank where he would jump off one cliff then land on another smaller cliff. Unfortunately the last time he did it to Carly it went wrong and he plunged to his death. Alf was fishing off Stewart's point and saw him fall. Not sure he nearly landed on Alf but it was shocking enough to make him proclaim "strewth!".

Ah yes that's it, the Flaming Mongrel scared the fish away. I think in the next episode you had all people like Carly, Phillip, Alison Patterson etc all saying how they could have killed him in a sort of dream like sequence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd forgotten he ended up effectively killing himself!

I was never keen on donovan's Scott - he seemed to either be sulking or smug with nothing in between. Much preferred Mike and Jane as a couple. I'm also another one that preferred the channel 7 episodes, cast, characters, storylines, atmosphere, sets - the lot.
  • Options
    Edward_QuackensEdward_Quackens Posts: 95
    Forum Member

I was never keen on donovan's Scott - he seemed to either be sulking or smug with nothing in between. Much preferred Mike and Jane as a couple. I'm also another one that preferred the channel 7 episodes, cast, characters, storylines, atmosphere, sets - the lot.
    Got a bit mad towards the end with the Terry stuff though didnt it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Got a bit mad towards the end with the Terry stuff though didnt it.

I loved all the Terry stuff! Always really liked her relationship with Paul and the climax got a bit Sons and Daughters for a while which is my all time favourite Australian Soap.
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually recall not liking 1985 Neighbours all that much. I preferred it after it moved to Ten.

I recall thinking the Seven version was bogged down too much in petty personality clashes. The Robinson family were snippy, fractious and annoying - nasal voiced Lucy and moany Scott didn't help. The Ramsays were good though. The first year had a format of a guest star showing up for one week and they would dominate things for the five episodes with their own storyline, then on the Friday they'd depart. I thought that seemed a bit blocky-I preferred the less predictable usual soap formula where people drift in and out at different times.

I actually recall noticing odd continuity between scenes, in that one person would give someone a patronising lecture, or accuse someone of something they didn't actually do, but in later scenes the reactions of the two seemed off. Like they weren't reacting normally in the later scene to what had happened before, like the earlier incident hadn't happened. I watched other soaps then too, but generally thought Neighbours had an overly simplistic treatment of its stories, character reactions, etc. Maybe I analysed it too much!

Terry Robinson and her criminal associates was a bit of a change for the series but I loved that one was played by Louise Le Nay - Sandy Edwards from Prisoner!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Glad it's not just me!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All the original Robinson children looked like they could actually be siblings - darkish and good looking in an ordinary way but not outstandingly so. Then suddenly blonde Scott turned up (who looked nothing like Vicki Blanche as somebody else commented) and then incredibly pretty, blonde Melissa Bell as Lucy.

If they'd just wanted a 'better looking' Scott (and i'm not sure Donovan actually was) i think Guy Pearce would have been a closer match to Perkins and actually Mike as a character was more similar to original Scott that Donovan's Scott was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I actually recall not liking 1985 Neighbours all that much. I preferred it after it moved to Ten.

I recall thinking the Seven version was bogged down too much in petty personality clashes. The Robinson family were snippy, fractious and annoying - nasal voiced Lucy and moany Scott didn't help. The Ramsays were good though. The first year had a format of a guest star showing up for one week and they would dominate things for the five episodes with their own storyline, then on the Friday they'd depart. I thought that seemed a bit blocky-I preferred the less predictable usual soap formula where people drift in and out at different times.

I actually recall noticing odd continuity between scenes, in that one person would give someone a patronising lecture, or accuse someone of something they didn't actually do, but in later scenes the reactions of the two seemed off. Like they weren't reacting normally in the later scene to what had happened before, like the earlier incident hadn't happened. I watched other soaps then too, but generally thought Neighbours had an overly simplistic treatment of its stories, character reactions, etc. Maybe I analysed it too much!

Terry Robinson and her criminal associates was a bit of a change for the series but I loved that one was played by Louise Le Nay - Sandy Edwards from Prisoner!

Interesting. I've been rewatching the channel 7 stuff recently (the UK released dvds go up to just before Paul and Terry's wedding so first 6 months or so) and enjoying it immensely.

Some aspects do feel a little disjointed, as you say they seem to go off on subplots with characters that only appear for a couple of weeks quite often - Max nearly has his own spin off going on for a while at the Boarding House he moves into after splitting with Maria. There is a bit of a Public Service Broadcasting tone to it at times - one astounding episode where we get a spiel from a RSPCA woman about puppies being abandoned when people go on holidays and how they vaccinate before rehousing after a musical montage of the Robinsons shopping for a new dog, statistics about how many teenagers run away each year in Victoria and teaching children the importance of road safety when learning to ride a bike. But generally i really enjoy it.

The terry stuff was obviously them trying to 'sex it up' a bit to make it more like Sons and Daughters and increase ratings to stave off cancellation. I enjoyed that as well though and could just about buy there being one 'rotten apple' that brought major crime into this quiet, suburban street. And at least Terry's actions did have a long term effect on Paul, changing him forever rather than just being forgotten about although that was mainly dealt with on channel 10 of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Terry stuff was a very deliberate plot to increase ratings on 7. The also planned to revamp it but alas 7 axed it before they could.