Options

Street cleaner/binman: What do you think about those jobs?

Comments

• Options
    OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for my binmen after the recent change to our bin collections. Not only do we now have 4 bins, our collections have gone to every 3 weeks. They can't take bins that have the wrong things in, bins where the lids aren't completely closed, or bin with the wrong things in. Our backstreet is piped with rubbish, and they pretty much shove one of them letters on every single bin. Some people even stand by the bin to give them an earful.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    I've heard that professional house clearance and cleaning is actually a pretty decent job once you get past bad smells. Fantastic pay, quite cathartic and a real sense of achievement when a house is properly clean after squalor.

I wouldn't enjoy being a binwoman myself as I really can't get over bin smell or bin juice, but I can imagine it's probably quite enjoyable in it's own way.

It's not a job I could do that's for sure. Bad enough when my kitchen bin starts to reek after a couple of days, makes me wretch.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it as they say and Like TrollHunter I'm glad it's not me.

I saw a short documentary on the so-called "shit ships" that take refuse and waste out into the sea for offshore dumping. The people who crewed the boats said that the smell permeates everything but sooner or later you get used to it. During the voiceover the camera showed them sitting down eating cooked meals on the ships to illustrate the fact.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Nowt worse than a failed dildo relationship. :cry:

it`s dumping it in a public bin in the middle of the city i`m curious about. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they couldn't take it home for some reason?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Maybe they couldn't take it home for some reason?

Could have just taken it home...... Honey I got you a present. :p
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about attractive, but they are definitely essential. Unlike many very highly paid jobs, where the occupants would never be missed by the masses.
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard days work I should imagine. I couldn't do it but I'm glad someone does and I certainly don't turn my nose up at them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Could have just taken it home...... Honey I got you a present. :p
    I hope they sponged it down a little first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    I hope they sponged it down a little first.

:D:D Could this be the friday night sex thread?
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

OMG! Public humiliation, even worse. :o
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    If you fancy a bit of rough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Handbag full? fell out of pocket and some kind soul put it to one side (like you see the odd glove)? battery's ran out? picked it up instead of their packed lunch, as you do...the mind boggles.
  • Options
    Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    They not called bin men these days.

How about "Sanitary Engineer"? I've heard that expression used before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ann_Tenna wrote: »
    How about "Sanitary Engineer"? I've heard that expression used before.

Sounds like someone who refills those wall things in the Ladies. I always think of "Tena Lady" when I see your name :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If I was younger and stronger, I wouldn't mind being a binperson. As another member posted, bin collectors find things while on the job, though I don't think I'd want to touch someone else's discarded dildo!

The smell wouldn't bother me; I have a cast iron stomach and I am not squeamish at all.

It wouldn't be much fun during our winters, though. No way!

We don't have street cleaners. We have city trucks in our area that clean our streets using water and brushes.

Smaller little vehicles do the sidewalks. That's in Montreal, though. I live in an off-island suburb. No sidewalks on our streets, though we do have those trucks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »
    Sounds like someone who refills those wall things in the Ladies. I always think of "Tena Lady" when I see your name :blush:

That's too funny!

You know where I found my username?

I used to like to bait 419 Nigerian type scammers as a hobby, I still do it occasionally, and I liked to use silly names on my emails.

I found the name Ann Tenna on one of those silly name sites. Antenna. Get it? :D
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's too funny!

I used to like to bait 419 Nigerian type scammers as a hobby, I still do it occasionally, and I liked to use silly names on my emails.

I found the name Ann Tenna on one of those silly name sites. Antenna. Get it? :D

419 eater <3
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    That's too funny!

me too!!!!!

my "life" would get more and more ridiculous with each returning email until i was claiming to live in a 12 bedroom house, etc, etc.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I expect its fast paced, hard physically and obviously smelly but think they get around £20k per year. I would prefer to do it than working in an office for the same money as feel office work is soul destroying
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    an ex boyfriend used to empty the street bins and hoover the streets, they`ve found all sorts in the bins, the item that sticks most [in my mind] is a large dildo. :o:o

Try lubing it first.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The occupation I always wonder about is operating one of those trucks that vacuum out cess pits. One of the homes I used to visit had one visit every month(?) or so and the stench when they were clearing it was immense.

On the occasions I have seen such a lorry with a company name on the side I find myself wondering...

Surely no one as a small child wants to have such a job?

How difficult do they find it to hire staff?

I've never seen such a job advertised in the local papers, so I assume they disguise the job using trade terms...Sanitation Engineer maybe?

If your father set up such a company and called it and sons (or and daughters) how much family love would it take to follow them into the family "business"?

:D
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend's husband is a bin man, he doesn't love it but he doesn't hate it. I think he works with really nice, funny guys so & enjoys the crack.
    From what I believe he makes not too bad a wage & a month or so ago he got promoted to driving the truck which is a far better job & it's more money.
    He's going to end up the least fittest.
    The binmen around here are fitness nutters.
    Two gophers jog ahead hauling the bins into place for the two guys behind who bung 'em onto the truck and who fling them roughly in the vicinity of your drive.
    Certain nights you can find three or four wagons parked up around a small shopping precinct with a car park and the crews are chilling and chatting with each other.
    I can only assume they have blown their time targets by cracking on as fast as they can.