Options

Who/What is your opinion of "Dororthy"?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 920
Forum Member
✭✭
I think this is a topic up for debate. I remember during IDA everyone I know had a different understanding of who Nancy was- some said she was sassy like Sam, some said Jodie epitomised her, and some said she was fragile like Niamh.

Without using any of our girls, describe your perfect Dorothy. Looks, personality etc. And I don't mean an actress, I mean who you think the character is.

I'm undecided. Everyone I know just says "Judy Garland" when asked this question.. :confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A young fresh looking girl with innocence of appearance but also with a bit of sparkle/oomph and feistyness personality wise. Someone who is a bit of a little tyke/tomboy (sp?)

A certain joie de vivre is necessary (which is why I'm not sure Sophie is right even though I love her.)

Out of the girls I think Stephanie is probably the closest to that (minus Red Lippy though)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My opinion:

clear typo.
  • Options
    Faria262Faria262 Posts: 6,952
    Forum Member
    Dorothy should be feisty but lovable and innocent, sociable and full of life! :)

I agree about Stephanie - who says Dorothy couldn't have had a lisp when singing? As for the lippy, it is pretty heavy but she is on TV :)

xxxx
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    Judy Garland and let's face it there are no Judy Garlands in this lot :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FXDUX wrote: »
    My opinion:

clear typo.

I don't know how to do that :o

But thank you for being rude :)
  • Options
    tiddlebootiddleboo Posts: 1,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little rough around the edges, not heavily made up. Messy hair.

Skinny but at the same time strong.

Not afraid to get her hands dirty or mess up her clothes.

Innocent, trusting but with a steel backbone.

Full of bravado but obviously afraid.

Cheeky but caring.

Wide eyed but smart

The open mouthed expression Judy played her as is spot on, slight bewilderment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judy Garland and let's face it there are no Judy Garlands in this lot :(

I have a tendency to just focus on Judy Garland when everyone asks who my perfect Dorothy is. I can't imagine her being anyone else! I'm trying to broaden my ideas though, or else I'll never be able to go see it in the West End :p
  • Options
    Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    Faria262 wrote: »
    Dorothy should be feisty but lovable and innocent, sociable and full of life! :)

I agree about Stephanie - who says Dorothy couldn't have had a lisp when singing? As for the lippy, it is pretty heavy but she is on TV :)

xxxx

All the more reason to go easy. Her make up would be fine if she was in the theatre but not for TV close ups.
  • Options
    amelie74amelie74 Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Difficult one - the first stage production had a 9 yo child actress as Dorothy.

I think Dorothy needs to have a childlike quality ie the ability to show the wonderment and honesty of a child in a strange and mystical land. She needs also to show determination, courage, intelligence to find her way home and kindness towards others who she helps on the way.

I'd like to see a bit more more of the acting abilities of these girls. It's difficult to judge when they're dressed in skimpy clothes in full make up and singing (mostly) pop songs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Teenager with a fresh face. Lovely genuine smile. Completely innocent but brave and strong.

Don't really know now that I think about it, it's hard not to imagine some of the girls.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People will always compare any chosen Dororthy to Judy Garland. I would't class Judy as a great actress or singer but if ever a role was tailor made for the young Judy it was Dorothy.

I doubt if Judy would have made the last 20 today. Can you imagine poor Judy trying to do the rubbish pop songs that these girls are given like 'the boy does nothing' etc.

The only girl left that comes anyway close to Judy is Emilie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TwirlGirl wrote: »
    I don't know how to do that :o

But thank you for being rude :)

:(

:mad:

:sleep: