Who are the most overhyped artists in music?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imo Adele.
  • newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Lamaestra wrote: »
    She IS overhyped! She only got where she did due to 'Neighbours'. Just because folk loved her in that, they think she is musically talented too.

And she's only in the position she is because the idiotic (mainly British) public are too thick to realise how crap she really is!

Yeah, we *get* it. You don't like Kylie.

I can't believe you brought up Neighbours though - it was over twenty years ago. She may have gotten her start in music because of Neighbours, but she isn't *still* making music 25 years later because of Neighbours.

Thus your analysis of why people like her is a little simplistic, don't you think?

The truth is she has had to fight tooth and nail to prove herself. She has had to earn every bit of credibility through hard graft. And yet there are still haters, quite happy to write off a 25 year long career with a few lines of nonsense text on web forums. That is exactly the *opposite* of overhype.

Your "mainly British" and "too thick" comments did make me laugh out loud, though, I have to say. Bravo!
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,105
    Forum Member
    wildhoney wrote: »
    if we are talking 'overhyped' and not just the bands we personally dont like - then it has to be One Direction at the moment. I have nothing against the boys - they seem funny and generally nice - and some of them seem to be able to sing but they would be nowhere without the massive media hype (funded no doubt by Mr Cowel), and the hype on twitter and FB by young fans. Even the Brit they were awarded was the one voted for by fans yet the press seem to overhype it by completely ignoring this fact so joe public assumes that they have somehow won it for their musical abilities - ridiculous- the sad thing is that the GBP actually fall for it and many amazing singer-song-writers are being overlooked because their faces don't fit. I find it really sad.

True, it is sad.
    But, although One Direction are majorly over-hyped, they will never really be respected as musicians unless they stop being Simon Cowell's puppets and not have their songs wrote for them. Or at least bring something new and fresh to the industry, which will at least make them memorable.
    But if anyone is going to keep 1D stuck in the exact same safe image and allow them to get stale then it will be Simon Cowell.

Think most people know they're just the latest fad, even calling them musicians is a bit of a stretch at the moment.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    Plus, some people think Elvis is just Hound Dog and Blue Suede Shoes and hip shaking. If they dug a little deeper they would have the joy of discovering one of the most beautiful and versatile voices there has ever been.

How true this is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justin Bieber
    Cheryl Cole
    Chris Brown
    Jack White
    JLS
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say though, people saying Adele is overhyped...can you honestly say she doesn't deserve all of her success? she writes all of her own songs (with make you feel my love / lovesong being exceptions) and is consistent when performing, i.e. always sounds great. I don't know a better current performer who CAN sing.

Others i think are overhyped (especially on DS) are Will Young, Alexandra Burke and Ellie Goulding
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    In my opinion Adele and the Beatles
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    Someone called Labyrinth....heard him talked about lots, apparently talented and inspirational.....try instantly forgettable!!
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True, it is sad.
    But, although One Direction are majorly over-hyped, they will never really be respected as musicians unless they stop being Simon Cowell's puppets and not have their songs wrote for them. Or at least bring something new and fresh to the industry, which will at least make them memorable.
    But if anyone is going to keep 1D stuck in the exact same safe image and allow them to get stale then it will be Simon Cowell.

Think most people know they're just the latest fad, even calling them musicians is a bit of a stretch at the moment.

There is a rumour on twitter that Niall wrote 4 of the songs for the next album. The twitter account seem to have all the news so it wouldn't surprise me but even this won't make them respected as musicians because 1) they are a boyband and 2) they are from the X factor. Those tags would take years to get over
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Justin Bieber
    Cheryl Cole
    Chris Brown
    Jack White
    JLS

Spot the anomaly in that list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justin Bieber
    Cheryl Cole
    Chris Brown
    Jack White
    JLS

Jack White? Really?

He's incredibly talented... hilarious when his name appears next the rest of the sh*te in that list.
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jessie J
    Lady Gaga
    Beyonce
    One Direction
    The Wanted
    Basically any generic pop rubbish( Used rubbish in place of another word:p)
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say though, people saying Adele is overhyped...can you honestly say she doesn't deserve all of her success? she writes all of her own songs (with make you feel my love / lovesong being exceptions) and is consistent when performing, i.e. always sounds great. I don't know a better current performer who CAN sing.

Others i think are overhyped (especially on DS) are Will Young, Alexandra Burke and Ellie Goulding

:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:::yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i definitely do think Jack White is overhyped.

I like some of the White Stripes material, and his collaboration with Alicia Keys on 'Another Way To Die' but i don't like his solo material.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, and people disagree with me putting Jack White like i strongly disagree with people putting Adele.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member

I like some of the White Stripes material, and his collaboration with Alicia Keys on 'Another Way To Die' but i don't like his solo material.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, and people disagree with me putting Jack White like i strongly disagree with people putting Adele.

That last line goes without saying. It's a discussion forum, whether IMO is written or not, people know it's just an opinion. Just something that bugs me.

His first solo album isn't actually out yet, so maybe you've been a bit premature judging his material,

But the main point, I think, has to be the company you've put him with. Even if he is overhyped (I don't think he is) what you get from Jack White is totally different from the others you mentioned.

Those four are media ****. They have endless PR. One stunt/campaign follows another. They get written about every day in every publication aimed at a young, and ignorant (philistincal, to invent a word?) market. They are only slightly responsible for their career/output. Essentially they're all about hype, the music is second. I hate using the word artist to describe a musician, and people like the other ones you mentioned are part of the reason. (The other is it invites all sorts of pretensions).

Jack White though is a very good guitar player. Totally in control of his output. Not reliant on a PR to have career. Clearly loves music, understands and respects the history of it. His taste and (some aspects of) his personality come across in his work.

If Jack White is hyped, I don't view it cynically. I see it as praise that he's earnt. If Cheryl Cole is hyped, I get a little bit cross and see it as an insult to my intelligence, assumng it's yet more PR, either paid for in money or promises.

In summary, if Jack White is overhyped, its justified and deserved. If the others are, it's marketing. That is why I don't think Jack White
    1.)Should be included in the same list as those other people
    2.)Is, or ever could be, overhyped
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how is jack white 'overhyped'?...

i see no wild unfounded claims relating to his music...
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,105
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    There is a rumour on twitter that Niall wrote 4 of the songs for the next album. The twitter account seem to have all the news so it wouldn't surprise me but even this won't make them respected as musicians because 1) they are a boyband and 2) they are from the X factor. Those tags would take years to get over

Well that's nice. :)
    I always think an act should add at least some of their own persona and creativity to their music, makes it more unique and memorable. Everyone is different in their own way, so using music as a reflection of yourself means the music will be unique and individual too.

Although I'm sure alot of us wouldn't mind the money ;) but having Simon Cowell tell me what to do 24/7, knowing that he'd likely drop me if the success started to waver at all, I'd certainly start to feel rather miserable after a while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how is jack white 'overhyped'?...

i see no wild unfounded claims relating to his music...

Not to mention, they went on to say Adele isn't overhyped... this forum is hilarious at times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a difference between hype and success. Overhype, I'd say, is when the level of success an artist has is matched by their "media circus" - I'd say Rihanna is by FAR the most overhyped artist right now, as it seems everything she does turns to gold, when really, "We Found Love" is Whigfield - Saturday Night with different words.

Beyonce is another example of this. People go on like she's some mental iron woman who has brains in her thighs when really, she's married Jay Z for power and sings about hating men too much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »

Started by someone in an attempt to give them some credibility no doubt - I think you are completely right with points 1) and 2) but to be honest i think its irrelevant - they will have success irrespective of musical talent due to the amount of overhyping, a very fat bank balance behind them and the willingness of the GBP to lap it up - I just hope they make it through unscathed - money and fame are not always what they are cracked up to be
  • FabalaFabala Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about his material with The Raconteurs or The Dead Weather?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    There is a difference between hype and success. Overhype, I'd say, is when the level of success an artist has is matched by their "media circus" - I'd say Rihanna is by FAR the most overhyped artist right now, as it seems everything she does turns to gold, when really, "We Found Love" is Whigfield - Saturday Night with different words.

Beyonce is another example of this. People go on like she's some mental iron woman who has brains in her thighs when really, she's married Jay Z for power and sings about hating men too much.

Surely OVERhyping is when the level of hype ie media attention and perceived success far exceeds the reality in terms of talent and actual success??? making us believe someone is good when in fact they really arn't? I thought the OPs question related to who generally is perceived to be great and gets lots of media attention but is actually a bit pants - or have i got the wrong end of the stick??
  • SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to mention, they went on to say Adele isn't overhyped... this forum is hilarious at times.

The thing that annoys me is all that seems to get talked about
    on this music forum are the same half a dozen, mainly female artists. :yawn: Don't mean to offend but it seems like it to me at least.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a difference between hype and success. Overhype, I'd say, is when the level of success an artist has is matched by their "media circus" -.

nope... thats just hype.
    wildhoney wrote: »
    Surely OVERhyping is when the level of hype ie media attention and perceived success far exceeds the reality in terms of talent and actual success??? making us believe someone is good when in fact they really arn't??

exactly! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eh?... do you know what 'hype' is?.. it isnt 'opinion' that the corporate managers promote an artist as 'the next big thing' ...thats hype... and if/when they dont live upto that expectation..that is 'over hype'..

nothing to do with opinion.

This is spot on, but when you read most of the drivel on here, don't expect it to get through.