Options

Are Macs any better than PCs?

Comments

• Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Treble wrote: »
    Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. I apologise but I am replying to all comments in this post rather than quoting each individual comment.

I think the reasons behind considering a Mac, particularly an iMac is the screen size and the fact that it's an all in one. I've also heard that they are generally more stable, although I wonder how true this is? Thanks TheBigM for pointing me in the direction of the XPS 27" equivalent - it's something else I will be considering, and it seems you get more for your money too?

I have mentioned that I would, if buying a Mac, also buy MS Office as apart from the fact that I do like the software, its also required for college/work.

I'm really not sure, but I will definitely be going to my local Apple store at some point to try one out - are you able to put your own CD's into their display iMacs to try them out?

Also, with them being all in one, and not really user serviceable, what would happen if the monitor went, or the motherboard as examples? How expensive would this be to have repaired by Apple?

Thanks again everyone! :)

Also, thanks IslandNiles for the heads up on the rules of Mac ownership, I will be sure to follow these should I purchase one. :D

I think modern Windows aka Windows 7 and Windows 8 are plenty stable. Macs aren't perfect by any measure.

You can buy 27" monitors, a Dell Ultrasharp would cost about £600 for 2560x1440, a 1080p screen would cost £240, a Korean 27" with 2560x1440 is about £200.

Office for Mac is not exactly the same as Office for Windows.

CDs have been mentioned - no disc drives.

You can buy applecare warranty for £140, I reckon after those three years repairs would be very expensive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit in bold. As someone mentioned above, the new models of iMac don't have optical drives, so you can't put a CD into them. If a CD drive is important, you'd have to buy an external one.

Yeah, I'd definitely need to get an external optical drive. I was hoping that they would have their external superdrives connected to at least some of their display iMacs too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    I think modern Windows aka Windows 7 and Windows 8 are plenty stable. Macs aren't perfect by any measure.

You can buy 27" monitors, a Dell Ultrasharp would cost about £600 for 2560x1440, a 1080p screen would cost £240, a Korean 27" with 2560x1440 is about £200.

Would this be as good as the Mac monitor?

http://www.ebuyer.com/397018-asus-pb278q-27-led-lcd-hdmi-monitor-pb278q#adGalleryContainer
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen enough of that spinning multi-coloured basketball of death to know that I never want a Mac as my main computer.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Treble..from your original post, your needs are fairly basic..as you point out. I can't quite understand why you are so keen to spend so much money. You are even wondering if you should go for higher specs !
    Having said that. If you're looking for an all-in-one, the iMac is a beautiful machine..I think even it's detractors would admit that ? I don't have one, but if money was no object, I'd buy one tomorrow..just on the basis of looks alone. :)
    Actually, I know more people who have taken a bite of the Apple in the past six months than I had done in the previous six years.
    Some of them do act a bit "superior" when describing their new experience, but none have said they would go back. I can't believe they have all been brainwashed, otherwise governments would have got in on the act by now. :)

I also think Windows 8 has changed the game considerably. People going to the big high street names like PC World, Currys, John Lewis etc, have taken a look at Win8 and decided it's not for them. So then they think...hell, why not go the extra mile and buy an iMac.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Haha, you're learning! :D

We'll convert the OP to a member of the Cult of Mac in no time :D
  • Options
    Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To go Mac or not to go Mac? That is the question. I guess I need to offer my 2 pence now then. ;)

I could go through every question you have, present every caveat, counter every point others have made until name calling starts and the mods shut the thread down. But I won't...

To reiterate what some others have said, you need to have a play with one. For some, it'll be just what they've been looking for. For others, it'll be too different from what they're used to. Or somewhere in between. Agonising over pros and cons, pouring over spec lists and price lists, absorbing the anecdotes of others, none of it is anywhere near the importance of whether you like them or not. And really, the only way to be sure of that, is by living with one. At the risk of touching upon a Mac using stereotype, you may just have to take a leap of faith. Then you'll know.

However, having said that, just in case you have any outstanding doubts, there's a website about that:

http://whynotmac.net76.net/

Keep us posted.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Macs generally have nicer-looking and more reliable hardware than a cheap "PC", but with some exceptions - you could still end up with a "lemon". However, Apple tends to give the customer the benefit of the doubt and many Mac buyers have ended up being given a brand new, higher spec. model when theirs failed within warranty (and sometimes out of warranty).

Macs have integrated software. For example, it's easy to transfer a photo from iPhoto to an email message or to iMovie or to "Pages" (word processor) etc. in a way that's not generally possible in "Windows". There is also "iCloud" for syncing between Macs (if you have more than one) and portable devices.

Based purely on statistics, a Mac owner is highly unlikely to get a self-replicating "virus" and far less likely (than Windows) to get a "trojan" or other "malware". In fact the risk of suffering problems is currently higher if you have any form of "AV software" running than if you haven't. This could change in a flash (excuse pun) but, currently, the malware risk is negligible. I don't run any "protection" and never have. I just take the usual precautions of having Java and Flash OFF in my web browsers, unless specifically required, and of NOT running as "Admin". If you do run AV software, then you lose one of the main advantages of OSX, which has all the protection it needs already built in.

In particular, DON'T install any software that purports to "clean" your Mac or make it faster.
  • Options
    MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you do run AV software, then you lose one of the main advantages of OSX, which has all the protection it needs already built in.

In particular, DON'T install any software that purports to "clean" your Mac or make it faster.

Meanwhile on Planet Earth there have been multiple occasions when Apple have been very slow in patching security holes.

For example: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/20/apple_java_omnishambles/

PS posted from my Mac Pro in case you were wondering.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In this day and age everyone should be running with some form of AV even if its just to stop you from forwarding virused emails onwards and causing lets just say embarrassment or even worse if its a business who receives the email and stops doing business with you

With people thinking they're safe out of the box by just buying apple stuff its no wonder that VXers are looking more and more at the apple ecosystem
  • Options
    curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. I apologise but I am replying to all comments in this post rather than quoting each individual comment.

I think the reasons behind considering a Mac, particularly an iMac is the screen size and the fact that it's an all in one. I've also heard that they are generally more stable, although I wonder how true this is? Thanks TheBigM for pointing me in the direction of the XPS 27" equivalent - it's something else I will be considering, and it seems you get more for your money too?

I have mentioned that I would, if buying a Mac, also buy MS Office as apart from the fact that I do like the software, its also required for college/work.

I'm really not sure, but I will definitely be going to my local Apple store at some point to try one out - are you able to put your own CD's into their display iMacs to try them out?

Also, with them being all in one, and not really user serviceable, what would happen if the monitor went, or the motherboard as examples? How expensive would this be to have repaired by Apple?

Thanks again everyone! :)

Also, thanks IslandNiles for the heads up on the rules of Mac ownership, I will be sure to follow these should I purchase one. :D

It would be hard to try your cds in an imac as they do not come with a cd drive.
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    except perhaps Ccleaner for mac .... advantages of mac osx are over-played & all you get with a mac is a different operating system experience -- not better/worse just slightly different
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    In this day and age everyone should be running with some form of AV even if its just to stop you from forwarding virused emails onwards and causing lets just say embarrassment or even worse if its a business who receives the email and stops doing business with you

With people thinking they're safe out of the box by just buying apple stuff its no wonder that VXers are looking more and more at the apple ecosystem

I have antivirus on both my Macs, although when bragging in Starbucks I pretend that Macs don't get viruses at all ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be hard to try your cds in an imac as they do not come with a cd drive.

I am aware of that. As I've mentioned - I (wrongly?) assumed they would have their external superdrives connected to at least some of their display computers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am aware of that. As I've mentioned - I (wrongly?) assumed they would have their external superdrives connected to at least some of their display computers.

You use any brand of USB DVD drive, it doesn't have to be Apple's own model.

Obviously they won't be as 'magical' or made from pixie dust but you will be able to afford more trips to Starbucks :)

You can also use Apple's Remote Disc software which allows you to share the CD/DVD drive on another Mac OR Windows PC over a network - see below.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5287

It will be a lot slower than a local drive but better than nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Macs generally have nicer-looking and more reliable hardware than a cheap "PC", but with some exceptions - you could still end up with a "lemon". However, Apple tends to give the customer the benefit of the doubt and many Mac buyers have ended up being given a brand new, higher spec. model when theirs failed within warranty (and sometimes out of warranty).

Macs have integrated software. For example, it's easy to transfer a photo from iPhoto to an email message or to iMovie or to "Pages" (word processor) etc. in a way that's not generally possible in "Windows". There is also "iCloud" for syncing between Macs (if you have more than one) and portable devices.

Based purely on statistics, a Mac owner is highly unlikely to get a self-replicating "virus" and far less likely (than Windows) to get a "trojan" or other "malware". In fact the risk of suffering problems is currently higher if you have any form of "AV software" running than if you haven't. This could change in a flash (excuse pun) but, currently, the malware risk is negligible. I don't run any "protection" and never have. I just take the usual precautions of having Java and Flash OFF in my web browsers, unless specifically required, and of NOT running as "Admin". If you do run AV software, then you lose one of the main advantages of OSX, which has all the protection it needs already built in.

But surely you would need software to defragment and clean up the hard drive? Does this come with the OS?

Obviously they won't be as 'magical' or made from pixie dust but you will be able to afford more trips to Starbucks :)

You can also use Apple's Remote Disc software which allows you to share the CD/DVD drive on another Mac OR Windows PC over a network - see below.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5287

It will be a lot slower than a local drive but better than nothing.

Thanks for the info. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yeah but Apple's one is shiny shiny like all other Apple stuff :D I wouldn't recommend taking the iMac to Starbucks though. You need a Macbook for that :D
    But surely you would need software to defragment and clean up the hard drive? Does this come with the OS?

You don't on a Mac because it uses a different file system to Windows and I think OSX file distribution is different to Windows. I've never heard of anyone defragging their Mac.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    The way I see it is Macs are overpriced and the specs are nothing compared to desktops/AI1 that are the same price and run windows. Go for Windows you won't have any regrets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never heard of anyone defragging their Mac.

You have now :)

I defrag my Mac Pro a couple of times a year using iDefrag, mainly because it has three hard drives and lots of big HD video files.

You would be amazed how badly fragmented a normal HFS+ volume is never mind a disk full of video files.

Obviously Apple's move to SSD's is eliminating this problem.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kierankay wrote: »
    The way I see it is Macs are overpriced and the specs are nothing compared to desktops/AI1 that are the same price and run windows. Go for Windows you won't have any regrets.

That does beg the question...why aren't forums like this full of dissatisfied Apple customers, regretting the day they purchased this overpriced product ?
    Do you have to sign some form of contract when purchasing their products, promising never to reveal that they are really a waste of money ?
    The opposite seems to be the case. Reading customer reviews of the iMac (for example) and probably 99% are positive.
    I find that impressive, and I'm no Apple "fanboy".. I've never owned one of their products apart from my iPad.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That does beg the question...why aren't forums like this full of dissatisfied Apple customers, regretting the day they purchased this overpriced product ?
    Do you have to sign some form of contract when purchasing their products, promising never to reveal that they are really a waste of money ?
    The opposite seems to be the case. Reading customer reviews of the iMac (for example) and probably 99% are positive.
    I find that impressive, and I'm no Apple "fanboy".. I've never owned one of their products apart from my iPad.

You will find corresponding satisfaction rates amongst the higher quality (and more expensive) PCs too. It's just that as Macs are all premium computers, people compare the average Mac to the average PC (the average PC being cheap and lower quality).

Looking at the phones, Windows Phone has the highest satisfaction rates of any platform despite only 3% owning one. But satisfaction rates are a bit messed up because you are only asking people who have decided that is the right product for them.

Macs are good, but good PCs are good too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ahh, well, you see, not a lot of people know this, but it's all down to a special Apple patented brainwashing chip that they put in all their products. It sends out a reality distortion field that alters brain metabolism to misinterpret negative feelings as positive ones. However, as clever as this is, it doesn't work on everyone. It only works on weaker, more gullible minds. The kind that would have been stupid enough to have purchased one of these inferior, overpriced products in the first place. So now you know.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dark 1 wrote: »
    Ahh, well, you see, not a lot of people know this, but it's all down to a special Apple patented brainwashing chip that they put in all their products. It sends out a reality distortion field that alters brain metabolism to misinterpret negative feelings as positive ones. However, as clever as this is, it doesn't work on everyone. It only works on weaker, more gullible minds. The kind that would have been stupid enough to have purchased one of these inferior, overpriced products in the first place. So now you know.

This kind of bollocks being posted in Mac threads stopped being funny a long time ago.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Emperor's New Clothes syndrome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    This kind of bollocks being posted in Mac threads stopped being funny a long time ago.

But it's true. It's actually made by Samsung. They put similar versions in their own devises too, but in typical Samsung style, they've weighed it down with so many options and gimmicky features, it doesn't work very well. :p