Options

Talksport Chat (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    originalrobskioriginalrobski Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    agree on the parry stuff, ive missed the guy. yes he can be a bit OTT at times, but generally he brings some needed light relief.

he can also do the serious stuff. i remember a school shooting somewhere abroad whilst he was doing the mid morning show, and he was fantastic on it. he can handle the heavy stuff too.

welcome back (hopefully to a more prominent role) Mr Parry. I for one, welcome your return :)
  • Options
    fudbeerfudbeer Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    I think you've hit the nail bang on the head TD Mike Parry left talksport because he couldn't agree a new contract with the management, head of the management was? .... Moz Dee who he had never seen eye to eye with. With Dee now gone to pastures new and as you say with Fisher having a definite tendency to favour the old guard he's worked with before I think there's every chance Mike Parry could be doing his infamous Michael Jackson 'moonwalk' again down the talksport corridors any time soon. :D
    http://youtu.be/3-1GyHYtUN0

Having had 24 hours to think about it a lot more and as people are allowed to change their minds on things without being locked up for it I've changed my mind and want him back. :p I think he'll put the fun element back that's now so badly missing from the station, I still think he's a bag of bluff but he's a funny bag of bluff anyway it's still all speculation and we'll have to wait and see what happens won't we.

That's my point TS is not fun anymore its got way to serious. I remember I used to laugh out loud regularly to the breakfast show and at times to drivetime with wrighty (certainly nothing even mildly funny with goughie and Durham!)Collymore as I have said before takes himself way to seriously as do many of the others.Parry on his own is just an idiot but on the right spot with the right presenter it just works.The whole station needs to lighten up and remember its there to not only inform but to entertain!
  • Options
    JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A famous sportsman, possibly Gary Player, once said "the longer I've been retired the better I was", and I suspect that's happening with Mike Parry. Between the mirrors for racehorses and men runnng 100m in one second was an awful lot of (or a lot of awful) tiresome stupidity. My theory is that he listened too often to Clips of the Week and imagined that everything he said was comedy gold; he tried too hard to be wacky and zany. His singing,for example, was quite amusing when done every so often, but it got to the point where I for one turned the radio off when I realised there was yet another "Mike Parry sings deliberately badly" bit coming up.
    When it was natural and unforced he could be paralysingly funny (the leaf that followed him home, feeding the ducks) but once he started believing his own publicity it was dull and boring. If we could get Old Mike back I'd be all in favour, but I suspect we won't.
    - -
    I agree that Andy Townsend made a superb foil for him. I'm sure they used to do a show on Friday evenings, as I distinctly remember laughing so much I nearly drove into a skip on my way back from Paddock Wood, which is why I know it was a Friday.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    JayDee279 wrote: »
    A famous sportsman, possibly Gary Player, once said "the longer I've been retired the better I was", and I suspect that's happening with Mike Parry. Between the mirrors for racehorses and men runnng 100m in one second was an awful lot of (or a lot of awful) tiresome stupidity. My theory is that he listened too often to Clips of the Week and imagined that everything he said was comedy gold; he tried too hard to be wacky and zany. His singing,for example, was quite amusing when done every so often, but it got to the point where I for one turned the radio off when I realised there was yet another "Mike Parry sings deliberately badly" bit coming up.
    When it was natural and unforced he could be paralysingly funny (the leaf that followed him home, feeding the ducks) but once he started believing his own publicity it was dull and boring. If we could get Old Mike back I'd be all in favour, but I suspect we won't.
    - -
    I agree that Andy Townsend made a superb foil for him. I'm sure they used to do a show on Friday evenings, as I distinctly remember laughing so much I nearly drove into a skip on my way back from Paddock Wood, which is why I know it was a Friday.

To be honest i think what you are saying there is "Dont put him on a prime time daily show" which i would agree with.

Im an incredibly witty well-read intelligent kind of chap but if you had to listen to me for 4 hours a day 5 days a week you would probably see through me pretty quickly!! :D To quote Basil Fawlty - too much of a good thing always leaves one wanting less.

Parry is perfect for the weekend show during the season in place of that hate-filled ignorant tosser Quinn. Allow him to be humorous and a bit wacky knowing that thats his job. He IS an engaging broadcaster and thats no bad thing.
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Is Mike Parry returning to the station on a permanent basis or just on tomorrow. I have only heard the latter.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Saggers has been the master of his own demise with the way he has gone from serious broadcaster to foreigner-hating professional shouty man.
    Joe19 wrote: »
    Agreed, his ridiculous Little Englander routine is beyond annoying.

12 to 18 months ago I would have agreed with you but I think, in the main, he has returned to his form of old over the past year and a bit.

Upon joining talkSPORT, he had been one of the few 5 Live sports presenter I had rated highly and he broadcast largely in the same vein as he did on there - albeit with the scope to say more and be more opinionated - in his first year with the station. Then came the 2010 World Cup and his fierce anger at England's hopeless performances, his dismissive Anglo-centricity on their Champions League coverage the following season (highlighted by him putting down the Bundesliga on the back of a suspension-hit Schalke team losing to Manchester United and slamming Spanish football after a bad-tempered Barcelona v Real Madrid game that had taken place on a night he'd been broadcasting from Fulham), the infamous World Cup bid rants from Zurich and his hysterics over the England rugby team and on-air row with Brian Moore during the Rugby World Cup, where he was very much the weak link of their team.

However, he has calmed down and become more measured since coming in for a fair bit of criticism on here and elsewhere over his showings in South Africa, Switzerland and New Zealand. I thought he had a good tournament at Euro 2012 in Ukraine and was much more considered and restrained upon England's exit (perhaps that has something to do with who was the manager, but regardless he didn't fly off the handle as he did two years previous). He was very positive during his mid-morning show from the near the site of the Olympic Park during London 2012 and getting the chance to interview so many current and former Olympians showcased his strengths. Although "Monday Night Feist Night" is what it is, he seems to have settled into a less volatile partnership with Stan Collymore and it has probably benefited him that Stan is no longer a regular on Tuesday or Wednesday night Kick Off and he gets to present good, straight forward shows with the likes of Alvin Martin and Matt Holland on those nights instead. His partnership with Brian Moore during the Lions tour has been very good and generally he has made considerable improvements when hosting rugby coverage this time around compared to what we heard in New Zealand in 2011, so deserves credit for that. I still rate him as a broadcaster as long as he is in the right environment and can keep his temperament.
  • Options
    fudbeerfudbeer Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to say all tis Parry stuff is sounding a bit Aaln Partridge especially with the new boss bit "give us a second series yu ****!"
  • Options
    originalrobskioriginalrobski Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    onto another subject briefly, another excellent episode of fighting talk last night, although Gareth Davis went a bit OTT with the norman wisdom mickey taking. some cracking guests on the phone, and knowledgable chat.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some have commented that it has to be a choice between Parry & Collymore because of their spat but I don't see this. They are professionals and can work on the same station if they had to. Even if they were on the same show they could do it if they had to. I would not advise it obviously as the chemy probably would not be right but remember how Teddy Sheringham & Andy Cole hated each other. They managed to do OK on the pitch.

Clearly they are not going to put Parry and Collymore on the same programme - just as they don't put commercials for BSkyB productions or trailers for programmes sponsored by Sky on during shows hosted by Richard Keys and Andy Gray. The kind of things both men do lend themselves to different kind of programmes anyway.

Evidantly Mike Parry doesn't mind working on the same station as Stan Collymore - but I'm far from confident that Stan would want to work for a broadcaster who even employs Mike, given what went on between them at Goodison Park a few years back and what Mike has said about Stan in the public domain since then.

I honestly think Stan might consider leaving the station if they brought Parry back in a significant way, assuming that Mike wouldn't/hasn't yet apologised for the things that have gone on between them so that they could find a way to patch things up and move on from them. Stan's contract is most likely up and so far no news of a renewal has been reported.

Before the 2010 World Cup, BBC Radio 5 Live offered Stan a chance to host 606, return to his top-line co-commentary duties on that station and make a few guest appearances on Match of the Day 2. He turned them down. Since then, Stan has seen his opportunities to co-commentate on Champions League taken off him and the guy who brought him to talkSPORT has moved on, while 606 has lost two presenters in recent months (Alan Green was taken off the show, Mark Chapman has moved to television) so is in search of a new presenter(s). Both MOTD and MOTD2 now regularly use guest pundits.

If the BBC put a similar contract on the table for Stan, to effectively take Call Collymore in all but name over to 5 Live, gave him a regular stream of top games to work as a summariser on (his last co-commentary for the Beeb was on a Champions League Final, he was due to cover Euro 2008 before joining talkSPORT) and offer him a chance to do a bit of high-profiled television punditry on the side - would he turn that down now? I strongly doubt he would and it would not shock me if he returned to the BBC between now and August. The people who run 5 Live apparently still rate him and surely they have the nous to know that he brings more to the table than the equally divisive but less informed or insightful Robbie Savage, who seems to be their first choice recently-retired ex-pro these days.
    fudbeer wrote: »
    I think comparing the two is a bit like chalk and cheese they both have their good and bad points.
    But if it did come to a choice my question is what has Stan Collymore got going for him. He is a fair to middling football summariser and phone in presenter. Big deal. There must be quite a few who could fill his shoes easily. However there is only one madcap Mike Parry and no one can fill his shoes.

It's not so much a case of comparing two very different broadcasters who'll always be used in very different capacities on the basis of their respective pros and cons, it's more a case of comparing who right now would be more important to the station.

Right now Parry is to be used as a talking head on breakfast for half an hour tops on a one-off basis. That could become a regular thing and some have speculated he could come back as a presenter, if so it's unlikely he'd do more than a few lower profiled shows a week.

In contrast Collymore is one of the voices of the station, someone the general public know and a lot of radio listeners associate with the station. He co-commentates on around 70 games a year for them, presents both of their main weekend football phone-ins and the is their main co-commentator at tournaments and on big finals. He's also reportedly one of the highest earners at the station and seems to be in-demand by other broadcasters (indeed he's covering the Under-20 World Cup for Eurosport at the moment).

Unless talkSPORT are resigned to losing Stan to another broadcaster, then you'd imagine they'd want to keep him sweet and put his interests ahead of someone who is only ever going to be a bit-part player these days, as right or wrong as you may think that to be.
    I love a bit of bias and i really dont mind guys who are Liverpool fans being biased towards Liverpool. I love Phil Thompson on Soccer Saturday for example so its not an anti Liverpool thing. There is just something about Quinn that is so ill-informed and quite hate-filled that i really dont like. Its not really "banter" (i hate that word btw) its just ranting most of the time.

This is a good comparison. With Phil Thompson, you know he loves Liverpool and wants them to win every game they play, but he doesn't come across as someone who has a particular downer on other teams and gives credit where it is due, even to Liverpool's closest rivals. With Micky Quinn, it's clear he can't stand Manchester United and takes pleasure in running them down - which as someone who supports a lower league team from the Midlands so has a reasonable disconnect from the Manchester United v Liverpool rivalry this annoys me, so I can only imagine what you must feel about it.

I don't dislike everything about Quinn and am not as down on him as some, indeed I quite enjoyed his pairing with Terry Christian who is the polar opposite to him on said debate but could inject some humour into Manc-Scouse relations, which took the harsher edge off things in a funny way. But when it's Quinny ranting about Manchester United when paired with a Cambridge United supporter who isn't a party to that local rivalry or doing petty things like backing every team to win that plays MUFC on Take on Quinny, it just gets a bit pointless, repetitive and boring. He can't stand Manchester United - we get it. But it shouldn't cloud his judgement over seemingly all matters football and become as dominant as it has done.
    JayDee279 wrote: »

When they were doing the Weekend Sports Breakfast, Townsend and Parry also used to present Friday Drive Time in its usual 4-7pm slot. That'll be the show you're remembering.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    This is a good comparison. With Phil Thompson, you know he loves Liverpool and wants them to win every game they play, but he doesn't come across as someone who has a particular downer on other teams and gives credit where it is due, even to Liverpool's closest rivals. With Micky Quinn, it's clear he can't stand Manchester United and takes pleasure in running them down - which as someone who supports a lower league team from the Midlands so has a reasonable disconnect from the Manchester United v Liverpool rivalry this annoys me, so I can only imagine what you must feel about it.

I HATE Quinn. I really do. I appreciate that he scored 3 goals against Arsenal and i appreciate that he lost 100 stone by not being such a fat lummox. I get all that.

However when i listen that doesnt come across.

What comes across is a hateful wee **** who has no broadcast skill whatsoever, has no horse tipping skills whatsoever and just sounds like a loud scouse twonk with a megaphone.

I defend Talksport a lot of the time but if Micky Quinn is the answer the question is wrong.
  • Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this talk of Parry returning reminds me of Bet Lynch going back to Coronation Street. It seemed a good idea but the show had moved on in the meantime. She was totally out of her time and ended up appearing even more ludicrous, if not a little pathetic. I think the same could happen with Parry - the station's developed a lot in the last few years, and by the end of his stint he'd got quite tiresome. There is a place for him on talkSPORT but hopefully only in small doses.
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anybody hear that BCM got taken up the Yarra this morning?

He's neglected his posting since going to Oz mind you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    We've missed you Mike, mate.
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did miss the show on Thursday and boy did I get that wrong. How could I have ever thought that Irani would even bother to pay for a sporting event. What was I thinking of ? I did catch Brazil's show yesterday though and Brazil said at the end of the show that he will be there on Sat/Sun, Goughie will be there on Fri/Sat/Sun & Irani will be there on Fri/Sat (missing Sunday for his cricket show I think he said). I missed the first free practice which was pretty much washed out (so maybe the best chance that they had shots of our "celebs" with little action on the track). I saw the second and third free practice on Sky and Qualifying on BBC but saw no shots of our three musketeer "celebs".

Also I am with those on here who are amazed that a Z lister like Irani can get hospitality tickets on the strength of him plugging Pirelli. Don't Pirelli know this guy has zero cred. It seems they just want their name mentioned no matter who does it. Was Irani blatant with his Pirelli plugs ? I don't know myself as I missed the last days of Irani as I refused to listen to him.

Further request here for all our contributors to keep your eyes peeled before the race tomorrow for any shots of the our favourite freeloaders

I didn't manage to see all the build-up to today's race like I usually do because I was busy with other matters more important but what I did see of it I saw no sign of the talksport freeloading crew anywhere, I guess by the time Sky and the BBC went on air at the circuit they'd have been well into putting the free champagne down their eager hungry necks in one of the bars or tents.
    What a disappointment for Lewis Hamilton leading before the tyre blow-out but another thing I noticed was how Seb Vettel was roundly booed today by the Silverstone crowd and cheered at when he broke down and retired with a busted gearbox. This lad was much liked by most people who love F1 before his shenanigans at the Malaysian Grand Prix (when he stole Mark Webber's win) he's now going to pay a high price for doing the dirty on his team-mate by being disliked by many around the world, (he was also booed at the last race in Canada) Mark Webber is a gentleman and didn't deserve to be treat like that by his own team-mate I think Vettel will badly regret doing what he did in the long run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Man Utd fan i hate Mick Quinn. I find him actually borderline offensive.

I love a bit of bias and i really dont mind guys who are Liverpool fans being biased towards Liverpool. I love Phil Thompson on Soccer Saturday for example so its not an anti Liverpool thing. There is just something about Quinn that is so ill-informed and quite hate-filled that i really dont like. Its not really "banter" (i hate that word btw) its just ranting most of the time.

Parry is a million times the broadcaster that Quinn will ever be even if he does suggest wing mirrors for race horses every now and again!!

Oh thanks mate I never overlook a chance to post his madcap ideas on here again. :D:D:D

1. Have a National Guard made up of farmers armed with shotguns who could hunt down anyone who goes on a rampage with firearms.

2. Fit wing mirrors on racehorses to prevent collisions during a race.

3. Put ejector seats in Formula One cars.

4. Someone one day will complete the 100 metres track race in 1 second.

5. Professional golf tournaments should have transparent bullet proof protected walkways to prevent a golfer from being shot dead.

6. There should be shops that sell individual shoes for people with only one leg as it was unfair on them having to buy a pair.

7. Racing pigeons should sport "Colours" that would be representative of their owners so spectators would see who each pigeon belonged to. In order for the pigeon to win each trainer would have to sport a hat with a platform on it and wait at the finish line. For maximum effect the hat would be in the same colours as the pigeon and the pigeon that landed on the correct hat would win, to add to the fun spectators could go up in a plane and follow the race by having the plane fly alongside the pigeons.

8. People in the modern age are in general much taller from when football first started and soon we'll average 7ft in height so the height and width of football pitch goalposts should be increased in accordance.

9. Humans will soon have six fingers and an extra thumb on each hand due to our increasing use of computers.

10. Deploy helicopters to fly behind the runners in National Hunt races and scoop up any horse that has fallen or unseated its rider so the loose horses can’t interfere with the rest of the field.

11. Have double-decker buses ferrying passengers around the course at major golf tournaments.

12. Novice skiers should wear flashing blue lights on their heads so that experienced skiers can avoid them.

13. Any player playing the Williams sisters at Wimbledon should start a set up.

14. Every bath in every home in the country should be removed to save water.

15. Arsenal have never won the Champions League because they cannot play under floodlights.

16. Football managers should all wear bright luminous caps and run up and down the touchline during a match.

17. All dogs should wear nappies.

18. Football players should wear lead in their boots to slow them down.

19. Footballers should warm up throughout the half time interval.

20. Motorists should turn their engines off at the top of hills and freewheel down to save the cost of expensive petrol.

21. It is safer to drive around towns and cities in reverse gear in the snow.

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who's your fav team and driver/s Indy? :-

Favourite driver - Jim Clark closely followed by Ayrton Senna
    Current favourites - None

Well if we're going all the way back mine is the great Nigel Mansell a man who never knew when he was beaten and would never give up until that chequered flag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is most of this chat not based around talkSPORT ? this is talksport chat so why are people typing about irrelevant stuff ?

Seem's to be chit chat that can be used in another way .

Let me explain something many of us have been around a long time on here (years) and we regard ourselves as good internet friends and that's why we sometimes sidetrack. You can still post all about talksport if you want we'll all read what you have to say and respond back where necessary.
  • Options
    stormy-weathersstormy-weathers Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've changed my view, and I'll tell you why stormy-weathers, he'll bring back some fun and to be honest I'd sooner be entertained by him than half of the rest 'em who do absolutely nothing for me.

You have every right to change your mind and thanks for explaining why ( not that you had to of course)
    I personally don't find Mr Parry in the least bit
    entertaining and hope that this is a one off.
    I would have rather he not been afforded even this brief
    appearance but he has.
    I'm hoping to take some comfort from the below twitter
    exhange Mike had with a twitter follower

@mikeparry8 Are you back for good or just a guest appearance?

Just a quick appearance to do paper review. Real star guest is footy legend @RealRomfordPele - Arsenal hero Ray Parlour
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest i think what you are saying there is "Dont put him on a prime time daily show" which i would agree with.

Im an incredibly witty well-read intelligent kind of chap but if you had to listen to me for 4 hours a day 5 days a week you would probably see through me pretty quickly!! :D To quote Basil Fawlty - too much of a good thing always leaves one wanting less.

Parry is perfect for the weekend show during the season in place of that hate-filled ignorant tosser Quinn. Allow him to be humorous and a bit wacky knowing that thats his job. He IS an engaging broadcaster and thats no bad thing.

I too think the weekend breakfast show would be a good slot for him a bit of fun at the weekend sounds exactly right.
  • Options
    HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with this thread since Friday and seen the news that Mike Parry is returning.

For me that is great news. The bloke was so funny with his ideas and the things he came out with, he has been missed,

Funny thing is i have been listening to a load of old CLIPS OF THE WEEK going all the way back to 2007.

Some of the things he came out with on a weekly basis are comedy genius. Have been only thinking how 15:30 on a Friday afternoon are not the same anymore without Mr Parry and listening to these old clips are just so funny.

I just hope he returns on a regular basis and gets a proper show.

I did like him with Andy Townsend and they worked well together, but with Mike Graham they were like an old married couple, so they bounced off each other so well.

So welcome back Mr Parry, as talkSPORT hasn't been the same without you!!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have every right to change your mind and thanks for explaining why ( not that you had to of course)
    I personally don't find Mr Parry in the least bit
    entertaining and hope that this is a one off.
    I would have rather he not been afforded even this brief
    appearance but he has.
    I'm hoping to take some comfort from the below twitter
    exhange Mike had with a twitter follower

@mikeparry8 Are you back for good or just a guest appearance?

Just a quick appearance to do paper review. Real star guest is footy legend @RealRomfordPele - Arsenal hero Ray Parlour

:D Yes a usual some of us have been getting ahead of ourselves Parry's only coming back to discuss the morning's sports headlines lol.
  • Options
    stormy-weathersstormy-weathers Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Yes a usual some of us have been getting ahead of ourselves Parry's only coming back to discuss the morning's sports headlines lol.

Here's hoping that's all it is.
  • Options
    Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homesdale wrote: »
    Just caught up with this thread since Friday and seen the news that Mike Parry is returning.

For me that is great news. The bloke was so funny with his ideas and the things he came out with, he has been missed,

Funny thing is i have been listening to a load of old CLIPS OF THE WEEK going all the way back to 2007.

Some of the things he came out with on a weekly basis are comedy genius. Have been only thinking how 15:30 on a Friday afternoon are not the same anymore without Mr Parry and listening to these old clips are just so funny.

I just hope he returns on a regular basis and gets a proper show.

I did like him with Andy Townsend and they worked well together, but with Mike Graham they were like an old married couple, so they bounced off each other so well.

So welcome back Mr Parry, as talkSPORT hasn't been the same without you!!! :D

Used to enjoy it when he used to sing completely out of tune and often the wrong lyrics, H and J used to rip him apart over that. Great stuff :D
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    Is Mike Parry returning to the station on a permanent basis or just on tomorrow. I have only heard the latter.

As far as I know Jack it is just to be the guest journo on tomorrow's breakfast show. Make of that what you will:D Personally I hope we are gonna get more of Mike, and yes I know there are times when he can be painful beyond belief but I love the way he just takes the p*ss out of Brazil and his "lifestyle": whatever anyone thinks of Mike he will never be a parrot :D
  • Options
    delboy1953delboy1953 Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    I've often wondered myself why they don't cover Wimbledon a lot more each year they never have and considering it is a big event and on THEIR doorstep you'd think they would. Yes like you say the Beeb have all the rights (thank god) but they should still include discussion, round-ups and latest scores on the schedules during the fortnight it's on especially as every year at this time they are scratching for sports news.

Quite simply Andy Murray born in Surrey ,,coverage coming out of your ears.
    Andy Murray born in Dunblane Scotland not so much..

Not too many sports where we have the current 2nd best player on the planet.
This discussion has been closed.