Tailgating annoys me!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
Forum Member
This is the reason i hate driving. I have 2 little girls sitting behind me and behind them is some idiot that seems to think they can drive as close to me as possible. Better still looking annoyed because i am doing the speed limit.>:(

The biggest annoyance in driving by far.:confused::confused:

In its worst form, it can be a particularly violent form of road rage and a form of intimidation.

Comments

• FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just ignore them, they will pass if they want to no need getting annoyed about it as they do not realise they are doing it.
  • BlueZane00BlueZane00 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Sadly, there's not a great deal you can do. If the opportunity is there and it's safe, try moving over to to let them pass - it's better to be rid of them.

On a few occasions, I've made left turns off into different roads just to rid myself of persistent tailgaters. It wastes my time in taking me off my route, but it gets rid of the tailgater for me.

More details on how to deal with tailgaters here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    It's my pet hate! If I'm going at the speed limit. I find it very aggressive. Best thing you can do is go slow that really annoys them!
  • Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlueZane00 wrote: »
    Sadly, there's not a great deal you can do. If the opportunity is there and it's safe, try moving over to to let them pass - it's better to be rid of them.

On a few occasions, I've made left turns off into different roads just to rid myself of persistent tailgaters. It wastes my time in taking me off my route, but it gets rid of the tailgater for me.

...Uhh, I think I much prefer the Russian approach.

http://gifs.gifbin.com/052012/1336066176_merging_in_russia.gif
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Didn't take long before somebody started in with the whole "I slow down to annoy them" thing. :(
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Didn't take long before somebody started in with the whole "I slow down to annoy them" thing. :(

does that actually work ?? or does it make it worse ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    BlueZane00 wrote: »

This was a good read cheers.;-)
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    does that actually work ?? or does it make it worse ?

I would say make things worse, and makes you no better than the person tailgating you. Just as easy to let them passed you, and easier to keep away from them. Better to have them in front of you.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    I would say make things worse, and makes you no better than the person tailgating you. Just as easy to let them passed you, and easier to keep away from them.

good advice.. BUT what if when you slow down, they slow down. you speed up they speed up. and they start to flash their lights at you.
    a young woman may become scared.
  • Scarlett FeverScarlett Fever Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    I would say make things worse, and makes you no better than the person tailgating you. Just as easy to let them passed you, and easier to keep away from them. Better to have them in front of you.

Rubbish!

It's a reaction to their bad behaviour. If they can overtake safely then let them... I'm a slower downer every single time
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ironic thing is that everybody I've ever comes across detests tailgating with a passion, yet so many people do it.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I have recently started driving after passing my test a few months ago and people tailgating me really annoys me.

It wasn't too bad when I was learning as people would just pass me, but since I'm no longer in a learner car other people get really close and never seem to want to pass me.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like drafting on my bike. Suppose that might freak out the driver too. If they notice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    The ironic thing is that everybody I've ever comes across detests tailgating with a passion, yet so many people do it.:confused:

In agreement with this. What people don't understand is that when they are doing it kids are sat in the back which in my case a baby and then what if i had to slam on.

There really should be a tv ad or something showing the dangers.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women seem to be the worst offenders when it's happened to me around here. Women in either people carriers or large 4x4's.

I slow down as I know it will get on their nerves being held up.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ignore them. They are common on the A422 between Brackley and Banbury especially since the limit was lowered to 50 (but you got them when it was NSL as well so that's no excuse). I find that they tend to drop behind on the twisty sections. They just aren't very good drivers who lack car control as well as good sense.
    Forum Member
    Thing is, the Highway Code suggests that a driver should avoid doing anything which causes another road user to have to change direction or speed.

Obviously, there's no excuse for speeding or tailgating but if you're slowing down deliberately to obstruct another road user, you're contravening the HC yourself.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I passed my test on November at the tender age of 28 haha, and over xmas I have clocked up nearly 2 k miles, and that was some serious driving. A lot of what I see is surprising, like I am sure the speed limit is at best 70mph. Yet when I am on the M180 or the M1 people BOMB past me at what must be 100mphs.

As for tailgating, yeah people do it with me sometimes. It was really bad a few days before xmas, I went to Leeds to pick my my girlfriend (I am in Sutton on sea, about 110 miles away). Not so bad up there, but on the way back it was dark so I was a little more cautious. I had loads of people get right up my arse on some of the back roads. If anyone has been to East Lindsey, you know what I mean by the state of the roads round here. If not, then its like this. Almost all roads are National Speed limits, so 60mph. Those same roads are barely thick enough for two cars to pass each other, and they are lined by ditches, and the edges of the road have crumble outcrops. Death traps. So I go at about 50 and slow on the corners and people end up nearly in my boot.

Also, its not often women (they do do it), its mostly douche bags in cheap AUDIs and BMWs.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Thing is, the Highway Code suggests that a driver should avoid doing anything which causes another road user to have to change direction or speed.

Obviously, there's no excuse for speeding or tailgating but if you're slowing down deliberately to obstruct another road user, you're contravening the HC yourself.

I think the point is meant to be that you slow down to allow them to overtake, not in order to piss them off.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I think the point is meant to be that you slow down to allow them to overtake, not in order to piss them off.

It can also be a safety measure, given that lower speed means less stopping distance required and any collision will be less serious.
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »

Which is fair enough.
    As a rule, I tend to support anything that involves courtesy rather than antagonism, regardless of any legal imperatives.

When you get comments such as this:-
    Pasty face wrote: »
    Best thing you can do is go slow that really annoys them!
    ... it's apparent that some people have different motives for their actions.
  • lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admit to being a tailgater.
    Keeping to the speed limit is no problem.
    What annoys me are drivers who are driving so slow even in a 60mph area and they are holding up traffic and causing a lot of other drivers including me to get frustrated and take unecessary risks to get past them.
    As to slowing down on purpose because you think the driver behind is to close that is so stupid it can cause an accident.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luba wrote: »
    As to slowing down on purpose because you think the driver behind is to close that is so stupid it can cause an accident.

Probably only if you're too close, though, so go figure...
    Forum Member
    FWIW...

Once upon a time a guy at work was driving along a country road in his works Land Rover and all the sheep in the field next to the road started galloping off ahead of the Landie.
    All of a sudden, one of the sheep bounced over the fence, into the road.
    He hit the brakes, causing the Landie to slide and a car following him ran into the back of it.

He was prosecuted for driving without due care and attention and the company insurance had to cover repairs to the other vehicle.

That's somebody who, you would have thought, had justification for slamming on his brakes.

Personally, I'd prefer to avoid an accident entirely rather than have one which might be the other person's fault.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    good advice.. BUT what if when you slow down, they slow down. you speed up they speed up. and they start to flash their lights at you.
    a young woman may become scared.

Well if a women becomes that scared, and feels she is in harms way then I would say break the law and use your phone to inform the police, do not stop try to get to a busy area were there are more cars and people and sound your horn to get attention from other people