Options

No signal on BBC HD channels

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
Forum Member
Hi

I'm in an apartment block with a communal dish.

I'm getting no signal on channels 102, 115, 131, 141, 180, 193, 208. All BBC HD or ITV channels. All other channels work correctly.

I have strong signal strength and quality from both inputs when tuned to any other channels. When tuned to these channels, the input 1 strength and quality drops to zero, and the lock indicator changes to "Not locked".

Sky technical support think it must be a problem with a cable (I've checked they are all tight) but because it's a communal dish they won't send an engineer. I'm loathed to pay their call out charges for an engineer to come and check my cable anyway, plus surely if it were a cabling problem it would affect more than these few channels?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    marceljackmarceljack Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fd2006 wrote: »
    Any ideas?
    Is your receiver a HD model (i.e. DVB-S2 / H264) ?
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Have you tried swapping the inputs over (only do this with the receiver de-powered!) to see if it's still input 1 that drops to zero?
    If the signal loss then moves to input 2, you have a defective feed that is failing on some frequencies, polarities or bands, and you need to contact the managers of your building to get that sorted out.
    It might be worth asking some of your neighbours if they are getting similar problems.
    If the problem stays on input 1, you may have a defective tuner in the box.
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marceljack wrote: »
    Is your receiver a HD model (i.e. DVB-S2 / H264) ?

It's a Sky+ HD box, not one of the 1TB ones.

From the System Details page, it's a model R009.066.77.08P version 4f31a7 manufactured by Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Have you tried swapping the inputs over (only do this with the receiver de-powered!) to see if it's still input 1 that drops to zero?
    If the signal loss then moves to input 2, you have a defective feed that is failing on some frequencies, polarities or bands, and you need to contact the managers of your building to get that sorted out.
    It might be worth asking some of your neighbours if they are getting similar problems.
    If the problem stays on input 1, you may have a defective tuner in the box.

Thanks. I swapped the cables and the loss of signal switched to feed 2. I'll check to see if other residents have a similar issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It sounds like it's not your box then.
    If your feeds are from sockets on a wall plate, it might be worth swapping them over there now, just in case it's a fault in one of the cables from the wall plate to the box.
    If you do that and the fault moves back to input 1 (assuming you haven't now swapped them back at the box) then it's definitely the feed itself. If it stays on input 2 replace the cable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    It sounds like it's not your box then.
    If your feeds are from sockets on a wall plate, it might be worth swapping them over there now, just in case it's a fault in one of the cables from the wall plate to the box.
    If you do that and the fault moves back to input 1 (assuming you haven't now swapped them back at the box) then it's definitely the feed itself. If it stays on input 2 replace the cable.

Seems to be an issue with the feed. I tried swapping out the cable and that didn't change anything. Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No problem, I hope you get it sorted out!