Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    I dunno why the "Commonwealth Games" couldnt have played on BBC TWO the way Wimbledon does and then crossover to BBC One. Maybe they felt it was too confusing to have it on both channels. But it kinda works on Wimbledon to share the event. I'm all for BBC one doing programmes that are quality over figures but "EastEnders" is not one of those shows nor is "Strictly Come Dancing" they were originally designed and formatted as populist
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    I dunno why the "Commonwealth Games" couldnt have played on BBC TWO the way Wimbledon does and then crossover to BBC One.
    And then, as these events rarely run to time, programmes on one or other channel will be delayed (or even swapped to another channel/postponed), causing disruption to the schedules.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    With regard to all the CG talk - I was against the blanket coverage and so far the ratings dont seem to have justified the move but looking at the rest of the schedules recently and the few programs that have been moved - I dont see why its such a big issue really.
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    I thought last nights EE was a really good episode, and an important one for the future of Sharon Watts, however, if. Thursdays episode on BBC2 was nearly the lowest ever rating for the show, part of me thinks it might hit that 'lowest ever' figure for yesterday. Of course in the grand scheme of things it won't really matter, weather/ schedule/ channel/ Friday soap ratings bombing would all rationally contribute to the low figure, but I'm preparing for another 'EE in CRISIS' kind of day!
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D

:D:D

All the hard work on EastEnders since last autumn has been undone by bad scheduling.

I liked how the announcer on BBC Two Wales introduced Thursday's episode. I'm having to paraphrase slightly, but it was along the lines of "Here's something I never thought I'd say: now on BBC Two Wales, EastEnders. No, I don't understand why, either." :D

He's probably just opening his post and finding his P45 right about now :D

You're right though. I cant remember how the BBC showcased big sporting events in the nineties but I doubt Eastenders would have been shunted to BBC2 if it was still getting 13 million viewers per episode. No-one is caring about Eastenders -its being attacked by ITV (by design or not, and in addition to all the other factors causing viewing reduction, the clashes with Emmerdale have hurt EE far more over the years imo-it used to have a 4/5 million lead) and compounded by the BBC's ongoing disregard for its welfare. Repeat and omnibus schedule changes, demotion, ill advised scheduling on BBC1 all give the impression the Beeb kinda don't think its worth watching all that much. Continued treatment like this will no doubt shake away more viewers for good and at the low end there isn't that much further to drop.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bean_of_sb wrote: »
    I thought last nights EE was a really good episode, and an important one for the future of Sharon Watts, however, if. Thursdays episode on BBC2 was nearly the lowest ever rating for the show, part of me thinks it might hit that 'lowest ever' figure for yesterday. Of course in the grand scheme of things it won't really matter, weather/ schedule/ channel/ Friday soap ratings bombing would all rationally contribute to the low figure, but I'm preparing for another 'EE in CRISIS' kind of day!

Some good episodes of EastEnders with pivotal plot points have been wasted over the Summer due to poor scheduling.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    They should have cut back the number of episode to two each week for when these sporting events are on. Its not like its a surprise to them, they know its happening. I know its always dismissed but a two week break would have equally been good. I doubt millions would never come back if this happened. There are millions are dip in and out as it is now. It wouldn't be out of synch with real life for too long because time can elapse quickly in soaps if they want to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As an EE fan, I would rather no episodes this week. I forgot about Thursdays and barely remembered yesterday. End the week before with a big cliffhanger (they have a fair few storylines to choose from ATM) and then bounce back the following few weeks and litter the extra episodes in here and there to get the episode-count back up to speed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    You're right though. I cant remember how the BBC showcased big sporting events in the nineties but I doubt Eastenders would have been shunted to BBC2 if it was still getting 13 million viewers per week. No-one is caring about Eastenders -its being attacked by ITV (by design or not, and in addition to all the other factors causing viewing reduction, the clashes with Emmerdale have hurt EE far more over the years imo-it used to have a 4/5 million lead) and compounded by the BBC's ongoing disregard for its welfare. Repeat and omnibus schedule changes, demotion, ill advised scheduling on BBC1 all give the impression the Beeb kinda don't think its worth watching all that much. Continued treatment like this will no doubt shake away more viewers for good and at the low end there isn't that much further to drop.

You missed perhaps the two most important things - bad decisions and directions taken by a number of Executive Producers, and a succession of bad writing, silly storylines and questionable characterisations (leading, in some cases, to good or promising characters being destroyed, with little or no way back). Due to that, it has been in decline for a few years now, and is only now starting to get itself back on track.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC1 confirmed schedule Sunday August 3:

0600 Breakfast
    0745 Commonwealth Games
    1145 News
    1155 Commonwealth Games
    1735 Seven Wonders of the Commonwealth (repeat)
    1835 News,regional news
    1900 Countryfile
    2000 Commonwealth Games Review - highlights
    2100 CG Closing Ceremony
    2300 News,regional news
    2325 Kevin Bridges Live at the Commonwealth
    0010 Joins BBC News
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bean_of_sb wrote: »
    As an EE fan, I would rather no episodes this week. I forgot about Thursdays and barely remembered yesterday. End the week before with a big cliffhanger (they have a fair few storylines to choose from ATM) and then bounce back the following few weeks and litter the extra episodes in here and there to get the episode-count back up to speed.
    An ironic contradiction there.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    They should have cut back the number of episode to two each week for when these sporting events are on. Its not like its a surprise to them, they know its happening. I know its always dismissed but a two week break would have equally been good. I doubt millions would never come back if this happened. There are millions are dip in and out as it is now. It wouldn't be out of synch with real life for too long because time can elapse quickly in soaps if they want to.

That would have been better than putting episodes out there that few people will see anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    An ironic contradiction there.

Not really. Being a fan of a show doesn't mean you live your life by it. By that logic, only the 3m+ who tuned in on Thursday are the real fans. I've caught up since as have many others I am sure.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I have to say one more thing, as an aside rather than a criticism.

It's somewhat ironic that some people, with justification at times, say that the BBC should not be chasing ratings (or in other words, trying to maximise ratings), but this thread seems to exist on the concept that the BBC should do exactly that! And when they don'y they get castigated.

A winner of a race can get there by runing clean or by cheating, the end result looks the same...

Nothing wrong with ratings. There is something wrong with programmes that are lazy and pandering and almost exploiting the viewer simply to get ratings. Programmes that the BBC has an awful lot of.

Although nowadays I think that CH4 are the king of such stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    A winner of a race can get there by runing clean or by cheating, the end result looks the same...

Nothing wrong with ratings. There is something wrong with programmes that are lazy and pandering and almost exploiting the viewer simply to get ratings. Programmes that the BBC has an awful lot of.

Although nowadays I think that CH4 are the king of such stuff.

That was not exactly my point though. I agree about C4 though.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Friday's overnights have been delayed, by the way.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Friday's overnights have been delayed, by the way.

Are they all sharing the same abacus?

Wonderful weather last night wouldn't have helped and another glorious day today!
  • Options
    burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »

Next week they've cut the Friday episode which will be aired the following back on BBC One. Imo, they should've cut this week's Thursday and Friday episodes too, moving one earlier in the week (maybe axe Crimewatch and delay that into the one of the repeat slots after the CG and have hour long EE and then Holby).

It wouldn't have been so bad having just three episodes on BBC Two then.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burbe wrote: »
    Next week they've cut the Friday episode which will be aired the following back on BBC One. Imo, they should've cut this week's Thursday and Friday episodes too, moving one earlier in the week (maybe axe Crimewatch and delay that into the one of the repeat slots after the CG and have hour long EE and then Holby).

It wouldn't have been so bad having just three episodes on BBC Two then.

The reason they've cut next Friday's episode is because it's on against the 10,000 metre final. which should have won big viewing figures because it was supposed to star Mo Farah, but he's pulled out ill so bang go the ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And showing last Thursday's & Friday's episodes back to back would not have worked - Thursday's ended with a soap cliffhanger, it simply worked as a standalone episode, it would not have had the same impact just running into the next one.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Friday's overnights have been released.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    06:00 - Breakfast: 1.36m (37.4%)
    13:00 - BBC News at One: 2.00m (31.4%)
    13:30 - BBC Regional News: 2.15m (33.4%)
    18:00 - BBC News at Six: 3.52m (26.5%)
    18:30 - BBC Regional News: 4.02m (29.1%)
    22:00 - BBC News at Ten: 3.89m (22.7%)
    22:25 - BBC Regional News: 3.77m (23.6%)

Commonwealth Games
    - 09:00 - 941k (17.1%)
    - 13:45 - 1.16m (18.7%)
    - 15:00 - 1.57m (18.3%)
    - 19:00 - 3.17m (18.1%)
    * peak: 3.87m (21.5%) at 21:00
    - 22:40 - Today at the Games - 1.49m (12.9%)
    - 23:40 - Sportsday - 860k (10.4%)
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not great for the CG. BBC will hope the athletics picks up ratings
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Enjoyed ITV's trailer. Good to see a big spend on drama. Looked slick. Hopefully they will get big figures this autumn and spend more the following year.

Not a lot of people will see that drama trailer because ITV s weekly reach are down due to rubbish programs and pleasuring the shareholders at the moment.
  • Options
    jackc1806jackc1806 Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    @TVRatingsUK: EastEnders, having been moved to BBC2, drew 3.98m/22.5% at 8pm. Coronation Street was Friday's most watched with 5.95m/35.8% at 7.30pm
This discussion has been closed.