Jihad against dogs

warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The use of Scottish terrier dogs as mascots at the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow has been branded "shameful" and "offensive" by Malaysian politicians.
Around 40 of the black "Scottie" dogs were used as mascots to lead out each team at last Wednesday’s opening ceremony at the Celtic Park stadium. The dogs, which wore tartan coats with the name of each competing country on, proved popular on social media, with Hamish – the dog who led out Team Scotland – receiving the largest cheer.
However, some politicians and religious leaders in Malaysia have taken exception to the dogs, claiming that associating them with Muslim countries is "disrespectful".
Some Muslims view dogs as "unclean" in Islamic culture, with more extreme Islamist groups even advocating jihad against the animals.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/07/28/Commonwealth-Games-Scottie-Dogs-Disrespectful-to-Muslims

Comments

• skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought the Malaysian parliament had bigger things to worry about. Secondly a dog is not offensive in this country and they are visitors to this country so should see it as it is and not from their religious perspective. As they say "When in Rome"

And as for this remark

"It is hoped this incident can teach other Western countries to be more respectful in the future."

It's Monday , I am tired of idiots so Get Stuffed would be my politest reply.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mountain out of a molehill springs to mind . I don't see why the opinions of a few nutters should make the news and athletes from other muslim countries such as Pakistan , Malaysia etc seemed perfectly happy for the dogs to be there,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a bunch of idiots being idiots.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, da hell with 'em.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lolislam (and no, that's not another strange and depraved Japanese fetish).
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I would have thought the Malaysian parliament had bigger things to worry about. Secondly a dog is not offensive in this country and they are visitors to this country so should see it as it is and not from their religious perspective. As they say "When in Rome"

And as for this remark

"It is hoped this incident can teach other Western countries to be more respectful in the future."

Err, where does it say the Malaysian parliament have been debating this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    That's what happens when religious leaders become politicians.

No devout religious leader should ever be allowed to enter politics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »

Indeed.

It's just the usual more extreme Islamic politicians who have a problem with it.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »

I assume the opposition party and other Malaysian MP's are a part of Parliament in Malaysia just as Labour is part of Parliament in the UK.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    We should have had a different creature for each nationwide ~ mind you it would have taken ages with the french following their snails.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume the opposition party and other Malaysian MP's are a part of Parliament in Malaysia just as Labour is part of Parliament in the UK.

Yes, but just because an MP says something it doesn't mean Parliament have been debating it, does it?
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mountain out of a molehill springs to mind . I don't see why the opinions of a few nutters should make the news and athletes from other muslim countries such as Pakistan , Malaysia etc seemed perfectly happy for the dogs to be there,

Because it's about Muslims.

Even if people are willing to vote for them?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    warlord wrote: »
    The use of Scottish terrier dogs as mascots at the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow has been branded "shameful" and "offensive" by Malaysian politicians.
    Around 40 of the black "Scottie" dogs were used as mascots to lead out each team at last Wednesday’s opening ceremony at the Celtic Park stadium. The dogs, which wore tartan coats with the name of each competing country on, proved popular on social media, with Hamish – the dog who led out Team Scotland – receiving the largest cheer.
    However, some politicians and religious leaders in Malaysia have taken exception to the dogs, claiming that associating them with Muslim countries is "disrespectful".
    Some Muslims view dogs as "unclean" in Islamic culture, with more extreme Islamist groups even advocating jihad against the animals.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/07/28/Commonwealth-Games-Scottie-Dogs-Disrespectful-to-Muslims

Yeah, but quite honestly, who gives two shits what they think.

If they were doing the organising in their country, then they get to call the shots, otherwise accept that other people have opinions and look at life differently to them.

Anyway, I don't see why anybody here should accept lectures from a country which treats gay people so badly. Bollocks to 'em.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Some people just seem to go out of their way to find offence where none was intended. Scotland is far from the only country in the world where dogs are popular.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this thread title misleading?

Malaysia isn't calling for a Jihad on dogs, just a few individual extremist nutters. Nothing new there.

There'll be somebody out there calling for Jihad on cats too. It doesn't make them worth listening too or worrying about. There are all sorts of nutters out there.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Numpties. Hence why all religious nutjobs should be completely ignored.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and maybe they can keep their damn nose out of OUR BUSINESS!
  • Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, the website you've given, Breitbart.com, is a well known anti-Muslim source.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, the website you've given, Breitbart.com, is a well known anti-Muslim source.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10995961/Commonwealth-Games-Scottie-dogs-disrespectful-to-Muslims.html
    Possibly making matters worse was the fact that Jock, who was supposed to lead out the Malaysian team, sat down and refused to move as soon as his coat was put on, meaning he had to be carried by the team representative.
    I really hope that Jock got a few extra treats for that excellent piece of trollery. :D
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Ding ding, all aboard the outrage bus.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And as for this remark

Exactly skp and if you don't mind I'm going to use the above in another post right now.
  • Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »

Here's one of the individuals in question:
    Dato Ibrahim Bin Ali, a far-Right politician, former MP and founder and president of Malay supremacist group Perkasa also called for an apology.

It's like taking into account what the KKK say.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised they weren't chasing them with a fork.
    Just because pigs are dirty, doesn't stop crackling
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't vote for anyone who believed in God. Too irrational to govern.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mint wrote: »
    I wouldn't vote for anyone who believed in God. Too irrational to govern.

I agree.

It's sort of a shame every PM we've ever had has been religious though.