About 50% of my recordings won't play after recent Sky EPG Update

The Old ManThe Old Man Posts: 182
Forum Member
Hi all,

I wondered if anyone else has had this problem?
1TB Sky HD Box Model no. R009.066.7​7.08P version number 4f3153.

Since the Sky EPG Update with the new Homepage on my Sky HD 1TB box, about 50% of my existing recordings refuse to play. I just get a blue screen, I can't fast forward, I can't jump into the middle of a program when this happens to get past it, sometimes I see a rotating playback graphic, other times not, just a blue screen. Occasionally I'll be lucky to see a few frames, then it freezes. It happens on some On Demand programs too, I have to delete them, permanently delete them, then re-download them and they are then fine.

The other random 50% of my recordings and any new recordings since the EPG update all play back absolutely fine.

I've tried rebuilding the Planner etc, rebooting, leaving the power off etc - no joy.

The worst part about it is I downloaded the whole series of Masterchef, as well racking up episodes of The Middle, 24 Live Another Day etc to catch up with at my leisure and only some of the episodes will play back, meaning the whole series is ruined for me.
Same with other new and returning shows. Its okay if I can find them On Demand, but many episodes aren't there.

If I couldn't play anything back, I would suspect its the box.

Anyone else had this issue and hopefully been able to solve it?

Comments

• NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried permanently deleting everything in the deleted tab then trying a planner rebuild.
    After that I'd give a forced update ago.

Failing that there's the old system reset, but you'll loose all your recordings.
  • kmmoorekmmoore Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Sorry to raise an oldish thread, but I have just noticed the exact same problem you have described...

I just went to watch a movie that i recorded about a year ago, but have only just got round to sitting down to watch it, but I get the same thing you do. Blue screen, playback light spins (as though it is playing), but no video or sound.

The i button shows the program correctly, but no matter what I do, it won't actually playback on screen...

I have tried deleting all of my deleted programs and done a Sky+ rebuild, but this didn't help.

I check some other recorded programs, and there are about 15 that won't playback, however, anything relatively new plays back fine.

Did you ever manage to resolve the issue?

Anyone got any more thoughts on resolving this, other than a complete system restore? (I don't want to lose my programs).

Very annoying!

Thanks
  • The Old ManThe Old Man Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Hi, sorry I didn't get an email notification of your reply.

No I am still plagued by the problem. I posted on the Sky website forum and got nowhere either.

It's driving me nuts with frustration to be honest, so I'm sorry you have the problem also.
    I still believe it's related to the new EPG as everything was fine before the update.

I'd say about half my recordings and downloads still won't play back without the blue screen and rotating playback graphic.

I'm having to record repeats by default now of my favourite program's to make sure I have a copy that will playback, but sometimes even the duplicates won't play back and I have to download from catch up 2 or 3 times before I get a copy that works okay.

Tried permanently deleting everything in the deleted tab then trying a planner rebuild several times. I've done a forced update but no newer software is available.

Waiting for 24 to become available on demand, wish I'd watched it live now.

I don't want to try a system reset, as I'll loose all my precious recordings that do work.
  • The Old ManThe Old Man Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    If anyone else has had this problem, I finally found a solution. It wasn't pretty, had to do a System Reset. Lost all my treasured recordings that would play, but now everything seems to play fine via recorded TV or On Demand.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should be noted that it's not a good idea to rely on the box keeping your recordings from years ago in good working order. The Sky box isn't designed as a permenant archive device.