Stephanie's new job..

Comments

• thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,618
    Forum Member
    jill1812 wrote: »
    She's still done one of the biggest roles she could do even if it was on tour, she's been Sally Bowles, and she landed that role at 17, I call that a major success in itself. Landing a role in Les Mis on top of that before her 20th birthday is outstanding.

Would she have been better in smaller west end roles like Niamh and Jessie (the shows they were supporting roles), maybe but with Cabaret she was the star of the show.

If Stephanie landed a role like that I'd be impressed.

its a bit closer than that though. Sam has done very well . Eponine is big role with a lot of difficult acting, a big song, some difficult vocals and a big death scene. If she can pull that off or get near to Nancy Sullivan's acting she will be doing brilliantly. Poor Eponine doesn't last long though - she comes on in the last third of Act One and dies in the first third of act 2. Niamh's role in LND is pretty big (its on youtube so I looked) and its a character role and starts early when the show needs a good impression. Jessie's role in ALNM was pretty central, it was a big acting role with a couple of big songs and she's on from start to (almost) finish.
  • jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its a bit closer than that though. Sam has done very well . Eponine is big role with a lot of difficult acting, a big song, some difficult vocals and a big death scene. If she can pull that off or get near to Nancy Sullivan's acting she will be doing brilliantly. Poor Eponine doesn't last long though - she comes on in the last third of Act One and dies in the first third of act 2. Niamh's role in LND is pretty big (its on youtube so I looked) and its a character role and starts early when the show needs a good impression. Jessie's role in ALNM was pretty central, it was a big acting role with a couple of big songs and she's on from start to (almost) finish.

I know Jessie and Niamh have big roles in ALNM and LND, but it not the big central role. Whereas Sally Bowles is the big central role. I'm not explaining what I mean very well.

When I went to see Cabaret I expected Sam's Mein Herr and Cabaret to be good, but she blew me away with her Maybe This Time and the big emotional scenes with Clifford.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the Dorothies I wouldn't be at all surprised to see quite a few people getting the types of jobs that Sam, Siobhan Jessie, Tara and Niamh picked up - indeed they may end up being picked up by the same people.

Cabaret's not touring anymore is it? If it was I'd have Jess as a stick on for Sally Bowles.

Jenny would be great in Grease or Mamma Mia. Stephanie would be good in Grease too.

For Jessie's role in ALNM I think your looking at Steph or Danielle.

The Narrator in Joseph possibly Steph or Sophie.

I wonder what it is Stephanie has been offered because Flashdance looked like the perfect musical for her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't comment on Jessie's role, but as stated, Eponine is big but doesn't really last very long in the show. Niamh's part is relatively minor, she isn't on very much at all (compared to what was expected!) but as it's LND it will be regarded very highly should she move on to something else.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roxie and Princeton are damn impressive roles too.

The thing about those group of actors is there all late 20's/early 30's. Apart from possibly Steph, the Dorothys can't expect to be able to compete with them. The ones you mention are the cream of the crop, not of talent but talent plus experience and training.

I think a lot of the Dorothies should be considering training as an option. I find it rather sad that people seem to be expecting them to hit the West End five minutes after leaving OTR. There's nothing wrong with taking time out to actually train! And there's nothing wrong with taking supporting/understudy/ensemble roles.

Daniel, Lee and Rachel didn't magically become strong Leading Performers. They trained, then worked their way through the ranks, understudying and learning their craft before entering their respective Casting Shows. Sadly, the TV Casting Shows don't really emphasise the importance of training (in fact, contestants are often criticised for being trained/experienced) and often give the impression that being on one of these shows is all that's needed to become a West End Leading Man/Lady.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    Daniel, Lee and Rachel didn't magically become strong Leading Performers. They trained, then worked their way through the ranks, understudying and learning their craft before entering their respective Casting Shows. Sadly, the TV Casting Shows don't really emphasise the importance of training (in fact, contestants are often criticised for being trained/experienced) and often give the impression that being on one of these shows is all that's needed to become a West End Leading Man/Lady.

I remember wanting to strangle ALW when he told Lauren on the final show to forget her training, if their being told by him training doesn't matter maybe they think it's not necessary.

During IDA I remember Rachel in particular being told often she was very professional, but it came over as more of an insult than a compliment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    I remember wanting to strangle ALW when he told Lauren on the final show to forget her training, if their being told by him training doesn't matter maybe they think it's not necessary.

During IDA I remember Rachel in particular being told often she was very professional, but it came over as more of an insult than a compliment.

I think what he meant was try and do a truthful performance, rather than an OTT "Stage school" performance she regularly did. I don't think he was saying training isn't important.
  • wkdstepmotherwkdstepmother Posts: 6,563
    Forum Member
    Becker wrote: »
    I think what he meant was try and do a truthful performance, rather than an OTT "Stage school" performance she regularly did. I don't think he was saying training isn't important.

I think that is right. A lot of the "trained" performers seem to be "on" all of the time as if they had been told to behave in a certain way to depict particular emotions. It reminds me of the John Thaw quote Sheila mentioned "don't demonstrate, be" and I think that is all that ALW was saying.

I am a big fan of Lauren her singing is fantastic, her dancing excellent but her acting was demonstration almost every time - not to say it was bad just that she acted the role rather than becoming it
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that is right. A lot of the "trained" performers seem to be "on" all of the time as if they had been told to behave in a certain way to depict particular emotions. It reminds me of the John Thaw quote Sheila mentioned "don't demonstrate, be" and I think that is all that ALW was saying.

I am a big fan of Lauren her singing is fantastic, her dancing excellent but her acting was demonstration almost every time - not to say it was bad just that she acted the role rather than becoming it

It just came across as a criticism of training, and sadly, a lot of people probably saw it that way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    I'm starting to get a bit impatient waiting for someone to release the news already!
    Forum Member
    johartuk wrote: »
    I think a lot of the Dorothies should be considering training as an option. I find it rather sad that people seem to be expecting them to hit the West End five minutes after leaving OTR. There's nothing wrong with taking time out to actually train! And there's nothing wrong with taking supporting/understudy/ensemble roles.

I think they would need to take an awful lot of good advice on that. Its too early to tell what works for a long career from a few years experience with people on these shows. Training obviously has advantages and you have more options and second careers open up. On the one hand you have 4 of the top 5 Marias, Daniel, Lee, Rachel, Francesca, Ashley, Sarah...on the other there's very successful people who fitted niches and then moved on without doing the training like Sam, Niamh, several Josephs, Siobhan and Katie Hall from bootcamp Nancyland. Can Sam handle a really difficult acting role like Eponine without training and does it matter anyway to her producer if she still gets loud applause for belting OMO? On the other hand do the young singing leads prepare you on their own for the roles you need to act as you get older?
    Forum Member

Yeah, I completely agree with that. It's like the difference between a good performance and an amazing performance.
    Forum Member
    Becker wrote: »
    Yeah, I completely agree with that. It's like the difference between a good performance and an amazing performance.

The further complication is that what I might see as a brilliantly acted in character piece of work will probably put off some of the audience who expected to see something simpler or different and to hear what they heard on their CD. Personally I would love a stranger Elphaba, a darker psycho Roxie or a Nancy who really looked like a street survivor.
    Forum Member
    The further complication is that what I might see as a brilliantly acted in character piece of work will probably put off some of the audience who expected to see something simpler or different and to hear what they heard on their CD. Personally I would love a stranger Elphaba, a darker psycho Roxie or a Nancy who really looked like a street survivor.

Yeah, I agree with this too. I have so much respect for people, in any profession, who push the boundaries, because it's such a huge risk. I think it's kinda like Stephanie with Bojangles, I thought that she performed quite a unique version of the song, but obviously the judges didn't agree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's TV guys.. I wonder what though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    TwirlGirl wrote: »
    It's TV guys.. I wonder what though!

haha yes! I eluded to television at the very beginning of this thread but no one even noticed lol

please don't be hollyoaks hahaha I doubt it would be though

how did you discover it was telly? x
    Forum Member
    oh i see on the other thread that you got a letter, WICKED!!!

wish I had bothered sending one now oh well too late
  • RavenRaven Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha yes! I eluded to television at the very beginning of this thread but no one even noticed lol

please don't be hollyoaks hahaha I doubt it would be though

how did you discover it was telly? x

Go on, tell the truth, you knew :D

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s13/hollyoaks/news/a228059/hollyoaks-unveils-third-new-family.html

Raven
    Forum Member
    Raven wrote: »

I knew it was telly, but Stephanie has kept me in the dark about what it is and she is meant to tell me today

but now i know thanks to DS!!!!!!!

I'm not even lying I said to my sister and friend that I would put money on it being hollyoaks!!!!!
    Forum Member
    so when i said before please don't be hollyoaks, i didnt actually know it was going to be but I thought it might, and hoped it wouldn't lmao! oh well I'll watch it now and then make a judgement
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dang! Everyone I've told has been joking with me that she'd end up in Hollyoaks... I didn't expect it to be true though!
  • RavenRaven Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have never watched it myself, not a big fan of soaps but with her and Alex Fletcher appearing in it I will give it a go.

If the show allows Steph to find here acting feet then its as good a place as any to start while picking up a weekly paycheck but I hope she doesn't end up just another soap actor, she has much more promise than that.

Raven
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Hmmmm, not convinced a part in Hollyoaks is worth giving up a role in the westend (Flashdance - if that's true) or future training for. It might give a bit of profile and security - but it's a distraction from a career in musical theatre and Hollyoaks is not exactly a well known platform for great actors. I agree with someone on a recent thread that those Dorothy's in their late teens would benefit from professional training and getting good MT experience if they want long and decent careers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    TwirlGirl wrote: »
    Dang! Everyone I've told has been joking with me that she'd end up in Hollyoaks... I didn't expect it to be true though!

I fear 'end up' is the appropriate word....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks?! Feels like she sold out or wanted security of a job, there haven't been many who have gone on to bigger and better things after appearing in the soap. I hope I'm wrong she is talented and it does give her a lot of TV experience, but after this news I expect she will follow a career in TV and presenting, maybe release a single but not in the westend. Anyhow I wish her the best and will be watching on the classic hangover TV!!