DS Twists and Sequins Real Time - The Grand Final

footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,171
Forum Member
Hello and welcome to the Grand Final of Twists and Sequins Real Time

Four couples are here to compete for the glitterball in the final ever Twists and Sequins. Let me introduce them

He is the defending champion - but with a different partner this year in Aliona Vilani, He is Danny

She is the only female contestant in the final - but she is partnered by the reigning pro champion from Dancefloor - She is Jess, and her partner Pasha Kovalev

He is a newcomer to Twists and Sequins and has a partner who is a previous pro champion on Dancefloor - He is Connor and his pro partner Katya Virshilas

And finally, the former joint winner of Dancefloor - with the professional who won series 6 of Twists and Sequins. It is Callum and Erin Boag

Please give them all a massive welcome

Comments

• footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,171
    Forum Member
    Now the task in front of our four finalists is the toughest. They will each dance four times.

In Round 1 each couple will perform the dance they have not done in the traditional 11 dance group.

With round 2, they will perform a randomly drawn dance by each contestant that has ensured they each have a ballroom and latin dance to do in the first two rounds.

Round 3, is the Dance choice round. They are each dancing to the same piece of music, but with a different dance. The contestants discovered what they were doing in a random draw they took part in. The key to this is to sell their dance through their staging

And then of course the no holds barred showdance, where it was the whole shooting match of songchoice, costuming and staging.
    Forum Member
    Let's get the competition under way and please welcome to the floor and opening the final with a jive to Echo Beach by Martha and the Muffins it is Callum and Erin
    Forum Member
    Amy 8
    Luke 10
    Izzie 8
    Malik 9

Comment Malik - Comment: Nice sound, nice beat, nice moves, just... nice!

That gives Callum and Erin a score of 35

Dancing their Samba to Sueno Su Boca by Raul please welcome our second finalists Connor and Katya
    Forum Member
    Amy 9
    Luke 9
    Izzie 8
    Malik 8

Comment Luke - I could picture a Salsa to this as opposed to a Samba, but that by no means suggests it was a bad choice. Lively, fun, and full of flare.

That gives Connor and Katya a score of 34

Dancing their American Smooth to All for You by Imelda May please welcome to the floor Danny and Aliona
    Forum Member
    Amy 9
    Luke 10
    Izzie 9
    Malik 9

Comment Izzie - A very smooth American Smooth, but I would liked a few more ‘pizazz’ moments in there.’

That gives Danny and Aliona a score of 37

With their Paso Doble to miserlou from Pulp Fiction by Dick Dale please welcome to the floor Jess and Pasha
    Forum Member
    Amy 8
    Luke 10
    Izzie 8
    Malik 9

Comment Izzie - I really liked that you took a risk going for a song like this, but I do feel that rhythm is a little fast.
    Forum Member
    That gives Jess and Pasha a score of 35

Let's take a look at the judges scoreboard after the first round

1. Danny and Aliona 37
    2=Jess and Pasha 35
    2=Callum and Erin 35
    4. Connor and Katya 34

Performing their Viennese Waltz to Impossible by Christina Aguilera please welcome back Jess and Pasha
    Forum Member
    Amy 9
    Luke 9
    Izzie 9
    Malik 8

Comment Luke- A very nice Viennese Waltz, but I'm not 100% sure it was final standard. It was just a little bit on the slow side, sorry (although I did like it, don't get me wrong!).

That gives Jess and Pasha a score 35 for the Viennese Waltz and a running total of 70

With their Cha Cha Cha to Raise Your Glass by Pink please weclome back Danny and Aliona
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    It seems I was rather generous here. :D
    Forum Member
    Amy 9
    Luke 9
    Izzie 9
    Malik 10

Comment Amy - I prefer my CCC's a bit more cheeky and flirty, but I can't deny that this was great

That gives Danny and Aliona a score of 37 for the Cha Cha and a running total of 74

With the Waltz to From this moment by Shania Twain please welcome back Callum and Erin
    Forum Member
    Amy 10
    Luke 9
    Izzie 8
    Malik 7

Comment Amy - A beautiful dance from a beautiful couple to a beautiful song. I'm in tears over here.

That gives Callum and Erin a score of 34 for the waltz and a running total of 69

With a foxtrot to Maddest Kind Of Love by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy please welcome back to the floor Connor and Katya
  • doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy with my 10 not so with my 7 :o
    Forum Member
    Amy 10
    Luke 10
    Izzie 10
    Malik 10

Comment Malik -Smooth, warm, characterful - great Foxtrot!

And take a look at that - the first full house of 10s. That gives Connor and Katya a score of 40 for the foxtrot and a total of 74

Let us see what that has done to the judges standings

1=Connor and Katya 74
    1=Danny and Aliona 74
    3.Jess and Pasha 70
    4.Callum and Erin 69
  • ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WOW! I'm shocked I got a 40 for that. Thanks judges. :p:D
  • IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Connor on the perfect score. I must admit that was my favourite routine of all the non-staged. :)
    Forum Member
    So now to the round entitled the dance choice. A piece of music that could be danced to in a variety of ways has been chosen and it has been the task of our finalists to provide staging to it. The dance they were allocated was via a random draw that the contestants themselves participated in. The song they are all dancing to is Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder

So let's start with a Salsa to that song and please welcome back Connor and Katya
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzieStar wrote: »
    Well done Connor on the perfect score. I must admit that was my favourite routine of all the non-staged. :)

Thank you Izzie. :)
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done Connor! Think there was only 1 40 last year (ahem... must be a newbie thing :p) so hoping lightning doesn't strike twice ;) But very well done :) Pleased so far with my scores, good luck everyone :) x
    Forum Member
    Staging

Sir Duke was written by Stevie Wonder as a tribute to Duke Ellington, who had an influence on him as a musician. The message of the song was to show the musicians who thought were important. I’ve decided to take influence from this by using the message of importance through the median of dance. The overall message of the piece is to show how the chemistry, tension and importance of the male character grows throughout the piece.

Introduction

The male character begins sitting on a chair holding a hat on his head with his right arm. The lighting around him is a slightly subdued red colour with a bright spotlight focusing on the female character that is opposite him facing the other side. As the music starts, the two dancers erupt from their seats. As they, mirror each other’s move, the two eventually come face to face, with the female character still brightly lit up and the male character still under subdued lighting. The costumes are also shown to be rich colours for the female, and a slightly poorer looking outfit for the guy

Middle

The middle is the section where the tension begins to build up. The two characters are unable to resist each other and they become more up close and personal. With the female so far being the dominant within the piece, we gradually begin to see the rising importance of the man. To capture this effect, a change of lighting occurs as the guys starts to come more of the subdued light until the light suddenly bright up the dance floor. Here we show a sequence of moves including a Hammerlock, Combs, Embrace, Arm Loops and Sombrero. The two of us use the full space of the dancefloor. However, a sudden change of feeling happens as the pair begin to let loose and have some fun relieving any tension

End

When the music hits the “Go-Ongola?” the two dancers begin to make their way back to the middle of the dancefloor turning their way in. The dance finishes with a Copa (in or out)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    Well done Connor! Think there was only 1 40 last year (ahem... must be a newbie thing :p) so hoping lightning doesn't strike twice ;) But very well done :) Pleased so far with my scores, good luck everyone :) x

:rolleyes:
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzieStar wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

How many times do I have to apologise for stealing your trophy at the last hurdle... ;) x
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Well done, Connor. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    How many times do I have to apologise for stealing your trophy at the last hurdle... ;) x

A couple of hundred more yet. ;)

EDIT: Also, I feel I should add that I got TWO perfect scores in the first final of T&S Real Time... :p
    Forum Member
    Amy 9
    Luke 9
    Izzie 9
    Malik 9

Comment Amy - I felt this was great and really fit within the confines of the song. My only critique is that maybe to further demonstrate the rising importance of the male, there could have been a quick shirt change so that the shirt becomes a brighter colour.

And that score of 36 takes Connor and Katya on to a running total of 110

And now let's see what the American Smooth looks like - please welcome back Jess and Pasha
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done, Connor. :)

Thanks Luke. :)

Ooh, I'm pleased with my score for the Sir Duke number as I struggled with my staging. :)