Cars on pavements

howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
Forum Member
I risk my babys life when I have to push my buggy into the main road to get past a parked car.

Comments

• jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    should (or is) illegal?
    or higher kerbs

especially if there is ample road space to park
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    I risk my babys life when I have to push my buggy into the main road to get past a parked car.

I was warned by the police when I parked outside my house with two wheels on the pavement, 'causing an obstruction' would have been the offence.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,939
    Forum Member
    If they're blocking the pavement you can (from memory) ring the police non emergency number.

If it's a regular thing bring it up with your local council - they've been known to send in the traffic wardens ;) (or have the wardens include the area in a more frequent check).
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Hysterical mother syndrome
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roads are for driving on, pavements are for walking....nothing hysterical about that. Maybe we should all start walking on the roads, getting in the way of the cars. Fairs, fair!
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    I was warned by the police when I parked outside my house with two wheels on the pavement, 'causing an obstruction' would have been the offence.
    In my road the choice is to park with two wheels on the pavement and block anyone pushing a triple width pram or park on the road and block access for emergency vehicles and delivery vans. It has only been a problem in more recent years as cars have been getting wider. A few years ago my land rover was one of the widest cars in the road but now it is one of the smallest.
  • flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dog poo on pavements offends me more.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    I totally agree OP it really is annoying. The amount of times I see people having to walk in the road because of a driver parking on the pavement. :mad:
  • James RalstonJames Ralston Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I was shocked that it's not against the law.
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Try waiting until the road is clear.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and101 wrote: »
    In my road the choice is to park with two wheels on the pavement and block anyone pushing a triple width pram or park on the road and block access for emergency vehicles and delivery vans.<snipped>.

.... or park somewhere else where you won't cause an obstruction of course ;)
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    Totally agree, just a bunch of selfish motorist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You shouldnt be walking on the road. Squeeze past the offending vehicle and if it gets damaged in the process then hey ho
    Forum Member
    Try waiting until the road is clear.

Or the driver could try parking on the road, where cars are supposed to park.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same question can be asked about cyclist on the pavement, I have been run into on three separate occasions, and on Friday of last week a neighbour returned home for the first time in THREE months after recovering from surgery & recuperation after being knocked down by a pavement cyclist, he finds walking difficult after having a broken thighbone & a metal plate inserted in his thigh
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OhDamm wrote: »
    Roads are for driving on, pavements are for walking....nothing hysterical about that. Maybe we should all start walking on the roads, getting in the way of the cars. Fairs, fair!
    Some posters on 'that other thread' believe pavements are also for cycling on. :rolleyes:
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    If they're blocking the pavement you can (from memory) ring the police non emergency number.

If it's a regular thing bring it up with your local council - they've been known to send in the traffic wardens ;) (or have the wardens include the area in a more frequent check).

Though bear in mind that merely being on the pavement isn't an offence (unless parking restrictions apply or you're in London).
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When my children were in prams, and there was just room for me to get through, I did it regadless of the damage I may do to a car! I have literally scraped or forced past many cars and had the wing mirrors of a couple! Ignorance has its price!!
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    When my children were in prams, and there was just room for me to get through, I did it regadless of the damage I may do to a car! I have literally scraped or forced past many cars and had the wing mirrors of a couple! Ignorance has its price!!

Good, I say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    Or the driver could try parking on the road, where cars are supposed to park.

Fine mate - but our road is one with Victorian Houses with no garages. The road is narrow and us residents have nowhere else to park (or visitors either). So what do we do? Park slightly on the pavement? Or park fully in our road therefore not allowing emergency vehicles/refuse collection to pass?

Life is never that simple, my friend.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A car should not take up the whole of the path when parked.
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    Fine mate - but our road is one with Victorian Houses with no garages. The road is narrow and us residents have nowhere else to park (or visitors either). So what do we do? Park slightly on the pavement? Or park fully in our road therefore not allowing emergency vehicles/refuse collection to pass?

Life is never that simple, my friend.
    You have no legal right to park outside your house or anywhere else on the road, if you're causing an obstruction by parking on the pavement you should park elsewhere.
    Dave
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's disgusting, I sometimes end up having to walk on the road myself to get around one.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If i didn't park my car up the kerb the street would be blocked there's no bloody way I'm parking it in another street were I can't see it to please someone I dnt know.

If You want to come watch over it over night then yea ill park It around the corner or u can pay for a driveway :)