Is Izzy right ?

roverboy1965roverboy1965 Posts: 1,679
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Her comment to tommy about her only using him

Wonder if she uses Rita, her flat and money along with tommy in an ensuing court battle to give the impression of a stable relationship and home and as soon as she wins (in a year or so's time) promptly dumps Tommy and up sticks and goes off to be single mum on benefits (her dramatic exit from corrie) ?

Comments

• Willow33Willow33 Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Izzy wasn't right when she said that, she wasn't right when she said Tina tried to steal her boyfriend either. Izzy is just plain nasty.
  • tco200tco200 Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sensitive question here but I can't remember the start of the story well, did Izzy miscarry due to her condition? I recall a doctor saying there was risk of another but there is with any pregnancy, is there a really high miscarriage rate with her condition or did she just not want to risk going through it again?
  • KeibroKeibro Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Willow33 wrote: »
    No Izzy wasn't right when she said that, she wasn't right when she said Tina tried to steal her boyfriend either. Izzy is just plain nasty.

I think if a woman was walking away with your child, you'd be pretty nasty yourself. Just because the law is on Tina's side doesn't make it right.

What I love about this story is it shows how flawed the law is, and how biological parents do not have the rights to their child when a surrogate is involved.
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tco200 wrote: »
    Sensitive question here but I can't remember the start of the story well, did Izzy miscarry due to her condition? I recall a doctor saying there was risk of another but there is with any pregnancy, is there a really high miscarriage rate with her condition or did she just not want to risk going through it again?

Her condition didn't make her miscarry specifically but I'm sure it was that she was deemed more 'at risk' than a non-disabled woman. She just didn't want to go through the pain and stress again, in case she lost another baby.

I'm conflicted about who is right her but I think Tina has a cheek to say that the Armstrong/Windass clan are an 'unstable family' given that she has JUST got back with Tommy. Izzy and Garry are going through a rough patch, but they have been a stable couple for years now.
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her condition didn't make her miscarry specifically but I'm sure it was that she was deemed more 'at risk' than a non-disabled woman. She just didn't want to go through the pain and stress again, in case she lost another baby.

I'm conflicted about who is right her but I think Tina has a cheek to say that the Armstrong/Windass clan are an 'unstable family' given that she has JUST got back with Tommy. Izzy and Garry are going through a rough patch, but they have been a stable couple for years now.

Apart from the fact that they are no longer together and Gary tried to get off with Tina a couple of weeks ago they're fine.
  • BellaroooBellarooo Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tommy and Tina only split because he couldn't handle the surrogacy, to be fair I don't know any guy who would, I know my husband wouldn't support me if I chose to do it.

I like the way they have done this storyline as it does happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from the fact that they are no longer together and Gary tried to get off with Tina a couple of weeks ago they're fine.

Yeah that's what I meant by 'rough patch', I still find them, generally, a lot more stable that Tommy and Tina, who haven't been together for a year.
  • Caligula75Caligula75 Posts: 1,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caligula75 wrote: »

Wow, the law in this country really needs to catch up! Wonder what happened in this case.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member

Thanks Caligula75. First time I've seen it. Very interested to see what outcome is decided. Me personally, I think they should be with their biological parents.

Edit: Just seen the date!
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keibro wrote: »
    I think if a woman was walking away with your child, you'd be pretty nasty yourself. Just because the law is on Tina's side doesn't make it right.

What I love about this story is it shows how flawed the law is, and how biological parents do not have the rights to their child when a surrogate is involved.

I agree, :)
  • ferdybookgeekferdybookgeek Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for the link.. Very interesting.
    Really happy to see another article where it says the twins were given to the biological parents in an out-of-court settlement.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

Me too and I think that's because both sides have right and wrong on their side. On the one hand it isn't Tina's biological baby but she carried it and has gone through all the associated feelings and emotions and had Gary coming on to her and the subsequent break up of Gary and Izzy's relationship. I also think the baby being premature and perhaps this being facilitated by the pressure she felt under from Gary, Izzy and all the Windass's has resulted in her making what seems on the surface to be an odd decision.

As for Izzy it is literally her baby and maybe her only chance to have a baby in her mind so it is devastating.

I truly think that the only satisfactory outcome will be for the baby to turn out to be Tina and Tommy's and her decision could be put down to Tina's instinct or something because even if Tina leaves with the baby surely Izzy is going to start court proceedings and that would take forever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really happy to see another article where it says the twins were given to the biological parents in an out-of-court settlement.

The parents received full custody of the twins. As they should have. I did find the story back in 07 but as the identities have been protected, it's not obvious to google. But I'm sure my fellow DS mates can find the result.
  • KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They wern't the father got rights to have them at weekends the couple didn't get custody.
  • sybilvimessybilvimes Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The twins were eventually handed over to the biological parents in an out of court settlement. Interpret that how you like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KaylaL wrote: »
    They wern't the father got rights to have them at weekends the couple didn't get custody.

No. The couple got custody. Google it. The father received visitations rights DURING the court case as he is LEGALLY the father.

This case explains how Gary has rights which he can pursue in a court of law.

I'm not partial to any of these f?wit characters. I'm just irritated that emotion is standing in the way of reality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Izzy told Gary that if she gets the baby she is going to raise it on her own?

Seems to me Izzy is geting more and more twisty by the hour. When was Tina ever her friend before she paid for her womb all shes done since is try and control her life.

The facts as Gary admitted where laid down to them at day one, that this was a possibilty and they where given advise on how to avoid it but like all else they ignored it. Because in any appeal they just have to say they paid for the baby and they have had it.

Tina should of just called the Police on Owen for breaking into her flat and burglary shes his tennant so he would of had a hell of a time explaining why he broke in and tampered with all her goods and chattle same with Anna who has no legal right at all to do so.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,256
    Forum Member
    I don't actually think that Tina is Owen's tenant as she hasn't been paying rent. If that is the case, there is no consideration (in the legal sense of binding remuneration) so no contract exists. She has been his guest all these months, therefore he has every right to make her leave with no notice, just as you could turf a friend out who has been staying in your spare room rent free for a few days or weeks.

So, Owen throwing her out is nasty but not actually illegal. Just as. To many, Tina reneging on the agreement and keeping the baby is nasty but not illegal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    When did Izzy try and control Tina's life? She didn't hover like the others and they were only showing concern. Like I've said before, it didn't bother Tina when she was dropping by Izzy and Gary's flat and staying to eat.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member

Interesting twist at the end of that case. From another article:
    Other cases in which a white woman intended to carry an Asian child have not ended so happily, however the most notable occurring last year when a white surrogate tried to keep the IVF twins she'd carried for an Asian couple, after falling out with them.
    The Asian couple launched a High Court battle to win back the twins, who were biologically theirs. The children were later handed over in an out-of-court settlement.

Can be found in this article about surrogacy:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-522670/Im-white-woman-Ive-surrogate-mother-Asian-couple.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Izzy's angry-yet-determined face just before the ad break last night was pure comedy gold - where she swore she'd root out the skeletons in Tina's cupboard & expose her as a bad mother.

Does that mean she'll now be wearing a Mac as well, just like Detective Dev?? :D

I'm probably a bad man for this next bit, but I also roared with laughter when that parked car blocked her in the garden & she couldn't get to Tina to hassle her!!!! :D:D:D
  • ScreamingTree<3ScreamingTree<3 Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Izzy and Gary don't get their baby back and it is their baby, I'll be seriously cross.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Izzy's angry-yet-determined face just before the ad break last night was pure comedy gold - where she swore she'd root out the skeletons in Tina's cupboard & expose her as a bad mother.

Does that mean she'll now be wearing a Mac as well, just like Detective Dev?? :D

I'm probably a bad man for this next bit, but I also roared with laughter when that parked car blocked her in the garden & she couldn't get to Tina to hassle her!!!! :D:D:D

You are sooooo going to hell, Q !! :D

(And personally I think Joor/Jeerk would be better off being raised by dingos than any of that lot.)
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anna Windass needs a slap and I would not have stood by while her and frigface Owen were clearing my flat out, shouting like a fishwife. Such a horrible character.

I also think that had Gary not made a pass at Tina then she maybe would have felt differently about keeping the baby. I think big momma Windass needs to see that instead of getting nasty.