Amazon Prime Air

Comments

• NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice way to get a shitload of media coverage in the run up to Christmas. Not that this is ever going to come to fruition over here, but if it did I'd sling a BB gun under my bird, slave it to the camera and have some dog-fighting fun. :D
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    What is the matter with Mr Bezos? Amazon are becoming famous for treating their temp workers like slaves, with 12 hour shifts on just above minimum wage, and the sack if you're poorly three times. Yet he can afford to faff about with lunatic ideas such as drone delivery. Poor show, Mr B, poor show. :(
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Nice way to get a shitload of media coverage in the run up to Christmas. Not that this is ever going to come to fruition over here, but if it did I'd sling a BB gun under my bird, slave it to the camera and have some dog-fighting fun. :D

Lol. I'm sure some people in some places in the US are likely to take more than a BB gun to these things.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's only one criticism I can make about this, and that's that the parcel will be left on the doorstep for anyone to nick once the drone has flew off. How is the person waiting for the order going to know that their parcel's arrived? Unless it somehow gets programmed to lift the letterbox up and then lets it go again. People complain about Yodel leaving their parcel/s just in front of their front door. Well, what's the difference with this doing the same? If it had some way of alerting you without making a scene, that would be fine. This is the first thing that sprung to mind when reading about it on the BBC's website.
  • HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    There's only one criticism I can make about this, and that's that the parcel will be left on the doorstep for anyone to nick once the drone has flew off. How is the person waiting for the order going to know that their parcel's arrived? Unless it somehow gets programmed to lift the letterbox up and then lets it go again. People complain about Yodel leaving their parcel/s just in front of their front door. Well, what's the difference with this doing the same? If it had some way of alerting you without making a scene, that would be fine. This is the first thing that sprung to mind when reading about it on the BBC's website.

They won't have thought any of this through yet, its just a publicity stunt on the busiest online shopping day of the year.

They would probably have to roll out some sort of secure box that you would have outside your house, the drone would land on it and drop the parcel in.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »

The idea is that it will be same day delivery (IIRC they are suggesting they might get it down to 30 minute delivery in some places eventually) so presumably it would give you an estimated delivery time and you could look out for it.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    The idea is that it will be same day delivery (IIRC they are suggesting they might get it down to 30 minute delivery in some places eventually) so presumably it would give you an estimated delivery time and you could look out for it.

So all you have to do really is grab your hard-hat and a big net and stand outside...
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Helix wrote: »
    They won't have thought any of this through yet, its just a publicity stunt on the busiest online shopping day of the year.

Exactly. They're simply demonstrating that they're "thinking ahead" in terms of being able to deliver a service. It's really no different to some of the crazy concept cars with miniature gas turbine engines and side-stick controllers you see at motorshows.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the matter with Mr Bezos? Amazon are becoming famous for treating their temp workers like slaves, with 12 hour shifts on just above minimum wage, and the sack if you're poorly three times. Yet he can afford to faff about with lunatic ideas such as drone delivery. Poor show, Mr B, poor show. :(

It's very clever PR from Amazon. It means that the media is full of articles about their delivery by air service (even though it doesn't exist) rather than talking about their tax arrangements or employment practices. The fact that it was also released on Cyber Monday is pure coincidence...
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »
    So all you have to do really is grab your hard-hat and a big net and stand outside...

Lol, or a shotgun.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »

I suppose that's better then. There's always the problem of vandals though. It's a shame, but these drones for light deliveries could be a target for vandals to throw something at them.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    The proof of delivery would be an aerial shot of your house, surely? But I agree, the type of property they could deliver to would be quite restricted. It would be fine for me, room to land on the drive, and well away from serious hazards. Apart from electrical and telephone wires on poles, tall trees, high winds....Ah. Might be a problem after all:D Shame, I like the idea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Targets the idiots who continually order stuff online and then are never at home when it comes to delivery. I despair of these people. They can now receive a call from Amazon and have their parcel in 30 minutes wherever they are.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    civilian drones are illegal in the uk & us.
    Forum Member
    civilian drones are illegal in the uk & us.

For now. That's why this isn't up and running now, it's not like the technology isn't there. From what I've read Amazon are currently working with the FAA on this, and hope to have an agreed set of rules by 2015.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no way the government would allow drones carrying 2.5 kilos to fly about the general airspace. a silly fantasy.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    no way the government would allow drones carrying 2.5 kilos to fly about the general airspace. a silly fantasy.

Below 250 metres, I can't see a problem. Except for Britain's national parks, which could prove an obstacle.
    Forum Member

Why wouldn't they? As has been said, as long as it's below 500ft and not in restricted airspace I don't see how it's an issue.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    I love the USA and I love Amazon.

Hopefully, they will work really hard and make this happen. It's not a joke at all. Civilian drones have a major part to play over our lives in the future and it won't be a soley Amazon use at all.
    Forum Member
    Chparmar wrote: »
    I love the USA and I love Amazon.

Hopefully, they will work really hard and make this happen. It's not a joke at all. Civilian drones have a major part to play over our lives in the future and it won't be a soley Amazon use at all.

I agree. It will happen eventually even if this idea doesn't take off (pardon the pun...)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waterstones have announced their answer to Amazon's Prime Air service

Ornithological Waterstones Landing Service (OWLS): http://www.waterstones.com/blog/2013/12/introducing-o-w-l-s/

"O.W.L.S. consists of a fleet of specially trained owls that, either working individually or as an adorable team, will be able to deliver your package within thirty minutes of you placing your order"
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does not apply to Northern Ireland.:cool:
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Lots of people sneering about this, but I don't see how a futuristic tech like this is any more implausible than stuff like 3D printing and Google Glass.

Agreed.

I think this is too good an idea not to happen. If it doesn't happen in the next 5 years, it will happen at some point in the future. If it makes economic sense to a company like Amazon, it WILL happen. Capitalist governments won't stand in its way. The obvious stumbling block is chavs who will try to damage/rob the drones. I'm sure the brains behind these drones will be able to come up with something that will make them safe and scaly proof.

----

An interesting tidbit from the BBC article was:

'Civilian air space is expected to be opened up to all kinds of drones in the US by 2015 and in Europe by 2016.'

That gives a hell of a lot of substance to the Amazon concept. Within the next 5 years, I'm sure we'll all be used to seeing little UAVs buzzing around our skies. Very Back to the Future 2-esque.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Sofadude wrote: »
    Targets the idiots who continually order stuff online and then are never at home when it comes to delivery. I despair of these people.

Strangest comment of the week.

Why do you 'despair' of people who don't just sit at home all day????