Do you use a headset while gaming ?.

ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you use a headset while gaming ?. do you chat with other people that aren't on you friends list or do you only chat with those that are ?. Do you open mic chat or party/private chat or not chat at all ?.

I use a headset while gaming most of the time, especially late at night so as not to disturb the wife and kids when they are in bed. I like chatting with people who are and aren't on my friends list. Gaming on it's own is fun but so much better when there's decent banter going on. Of course it isn't just for the banter, I also alert/warn team mates of potential danger in games like CoD or Battlefield. For me, it adds to the fun. We all want a better gaming experience and for me, chatting is part of that.

Comments

• Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you use a headset while gaming ?. do you chat with other people that aren't on you friends list or do you only chat with those that are ?. Do you open mic chat or party/private chat or not chat at all ?.

I use a headset while gaming most of the time, especially late at night so as not to disturb the wife and kids when they are in bed. I like chatting with people who are and aren't on my friends list. Gaming on it's own is fun but so much better when there's decent banter going on. Of course it isn't just for the banter, I also alert/warn team mates of potential danger in games like CoD or Battlefield. For me, it adds to the fun. We all want a better gaming experience and for me, chatting is part of that.

Hello, no! People would know I'm a woman! lol
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a few work mates I play gta with online, that is the only time I use a headset.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use headset on party on bf4 but in some ways party chat has ruined bf. Previously you could chat to team or squad but now everyone either doesn't chat or keeps it private to their friends. This means if you have randoms in your squad or you are the random, then you can expect no chat. With this being a team game, it takes a little away from that.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only with friends.

Bring back text chat I say.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    I use headset on party on bf4 but in some ways party chat has ruined bf. Previously you could chat to team or squad but now everyone either doesn't chat or keeps it private to their friends. This means if you have randoms in your squad or you are the random, then you can expect no chat. With this being a team game, it takes a little away from that.

Yeah I agree. There has been numerous times ive gone into a game (mostly CoD) and seen that quite a few people are using chat but no one talks or as you say, are in private chat. And of course, the amount of idiots that do nothing but give abuse over the mic don't help matters. It seems open mic chatting is becoming a thing of the past and I think that's a shame.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I instantly mute people who use mics.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hardly ever use my headset!!! ... I'm more of a txt guy myself!!! ... Always have been!!! :)

(Just ordered a nice new bluetooth (mini) keyboard from amazon ... Hope it syncs with my PS4) :)
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I use a headset with a mic because I'm usually playing an MMO and on Ventrillo with the rest of the guild. Even if we're not all playing the same game, it's nice to be able to chat to all my mates via Vent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose another reason for lack of open mic chatting could be that some people feel shy or that the difference in accents could pose a problem, I'm Scottish and I do try to speak properly and clearly, without using slang. the last person I spoke to that wasn't on my friends list was Spanish and while I understood most of what he was saying, he'd break into his own language and leave me stumped lol.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last game I played online seriously was BFBC2, I know BF3 added server lists so the follow may not be valid any more...

The problem I have is that every time you find a game you are thrown into a new server full of new people, you very very rarely end up playing with the same people unless they are on your friends list and you invite them in. I really cant be bother talking to someone who will be forgotten on the next server change. When I played TFC it was on the same 3 servers and over time I grew to know the people I was playing with and would have happily used voice chat on there. But with the way online works (As I say the last time I took it seriously) its just not worth using a headset unless you're playing with friends.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never used one even when playing with friends.

Oddly quite a few of my complaints on my rep are for 'trash talking' :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsLurker wrote: »

I have that too, 4% if I remember correctly lol even though I only ever used to private chat with friends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose another reason for lack of open mic chatting could be that some people feel shy or that the difference in accents could pose a problem, I'm Scottish and I do try to speak properly and clearly, without using slang. the last person I spoke to that wasn't on my friends list was Spanish and while I understood most of what he was saying, he'd break into his own language and leave me stumped lol.

Yep! Being constantly asked 2 repeat yourself (because of accent issues) isn't fun! :cry: That's why I never bother with voice chat! .... & let's be honest who wants 2 listen 2 a bunch of random 12yr olds talking crap during ya favourite FPS session anyway? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsLurker wrote: »

Same here!!!! LOL!!! :confused:
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I instantly mute people who use mics.

Same. Though it became a habit only once I started playing Call of Duty.

Now, I am mostly in party chat but now I don't play CoD anymore I have started to not mute people as you can actually have a decent conversation without some ten year old shouting abuse at everyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Hello, no! People would know I'm a woman! lol

Same here. I've noticed on CoD that when i'm on mic, I get trolled a LOT more. They are either following me (sometimes shooting, sometimes not) or block me in a corner. I know this happens anyway, but when they hear i'm a girl I get a lot more (unwanted) attention. Especially as I play a lot of SnD, one life and they decide to mess about, which is fine until they involve me. I just want to get on with the game!

So I used to just open mic for warnings/tactics but found it increasingly annoying. I suppose that's what to expect from 12 year olds though. Now I just mute everyone I don't know (unless its a friend of a friend)

Also, my Scottish friend gets a lot of abuse based on just his accent (mostly from Americans) on CoD and GTA V. He still open mics though which I think is brave xD

My headset is just a mic anyway, it was a cheapie from GAME, a tenner I think so I still have the sound coming out of the TV. However, for PS4, I use my cans and have the music/sound coming out from them too.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only chat when playing with Friends... and even then not always.

I never chat when playing with randoms. Hell, most of the time I play BF4 I don't even have a headset plugged in.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a headset when my wife is in bed, not otherwise though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I would use my mic more while playing if idiots stopped trying to be trolls and would actually play the game
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here. I've noticed on CoD that when i'm on mic, I get trolled a LOT more. They are either following me (sometimes shooting, sometimes not) or block me in a corner. I know this happens anyway, but when they hear i'm a girl I get a lot more (unwanted) attention. Especially as I play a lot of SnD, one life and they decide to mess about, which is fine until they involve me. I just want to get on with the game!

So I used to just open mic for warnings/tactics but found it increasingly annoying. I suppose that's what to expect from 12 year olds though. Now I just mute everyone I don't know (unless its a friend of a friend)

Also, my Scottish friend gets a lot of abuse based on just his accent (mostly from Americans) on CoD and GTA V. He still open mics though which I think is brave xD

My headset is just a mic anyway, it was a cheapie from GAME, a tenner I think so I still have the sound coming out of the TV. However, for PS4, I use my cans and have the music/sound coming out from them too.

Awful. Microsoft and Sony should introduce a policy where age has to be disclosed publicly so that a gamer can discriminate all they like. I'm 24, I don't converse with 12 year olds let alone play games with them!
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Awful. Microsoft and Sony should introduce a policy where age has to be disclosed publicly so that a gamer can discriminate all they like. I'm 24, I don't converse with 12 year olds let alone play games with them!

That's actually a damn good idea!
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no interest in talking to others online and I'll just mute people when I hear them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only really use a mic for BF4 with mates and even then once everyone is in bed it's back to silent mode cos you can hear everything in our house. If you have a good squad with mics it really helps (if you can get into a squad together!)

My son (14) uses one all the time and he's generally talking crap to his mates that is unrelated to the game but I don't get the whole play a game while talking about something. I like to play a game without distraction
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is very interesting as I use my xbox basically for social reasons. I play mainly with a guy I met early on in my xbox career so to speak and talk pretty much every night. We play with other people that come and go so we might play for a year with a group of people but then we don't play the same game and find others to play with.
    Although me mainly play in parties I miss the days when you had to be in game chat. I get really frustrated when you can't work as a team or communicate to others about what you are doing.
    I think one of the problems is that lobbies have changed and it is often the case that people go on to bam (irritate) people up. I am guilty as the rest for doing it. If we get bored we'll go to play S&D because we know that it will be good for a laugh. I hasten to add I am not the person doing the irritating we generally just go on to laugh at them.
    As a female gamer I have never got more than a bit of get in the kitchen...you must be fat comments but they are rare. My biggest problem is with other female gamers. They live in this bubble of being the centre of attention and often playing with their boyfriends or others they think fancy them and another female on the scene makes them go crazy and all defensive NAND aggressive it's weird.
    I get more abuse from other female gamers than anyone else.
    I think maybe there should be lobbies aimed at certain age groups. I would welcome a 30+ lobby so I know that someone who is 14 won't be there or if they are won't feel the need to advertise it.
    I find it really frustrating when you are playing a team game and no one is talking or communicating. If I'm plating the bomb at A I want my back covered and help from my team mates not some donut over by B not listening.
    By refusing to engage in game chat you are letting the trolls and the kids win.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like to use my headset as its better sound than using stereo speakers, it really helps in FPS games.

As for the mic, I use it when required, such as Mass Effect 3 as you needed to coordinate with other people (often RL friends).