Options

Free Agents!

13»

Comments

• Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    I don't think it was the swearing, per se. My problem with it was that the only source of humour was the main character listing sex acts. Replace Sharon Horgan with Sheridan Smith and give it a laugh track and it wouldn't have looked too out of place on BBC3.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if it's repeated this week? I'm not keen on watching on my lappy so telly repeat would be much better for me.
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nixx wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's repeated this week? I'm not keen on watching on my lappy so telly repeat would be much better for me.

My Digiguide doesn't show any repeats :(

No doubt it will show up on E4 or More4 before too long though ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it, definitely had some funny moments. Will be watching next week to see if it improves / declines.

Unfortunately, the anti-Jonathan Ross parade have thrown a wobbly over it: http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2009/02/15/8301/tabloid_targets_c4_sitcom

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i didnt particularly like the Pilot very much but decided to give it another go

if im honest i turned off after 10 minutes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I’m sorry but do channel 4 have another show called Free Agents they’re sending out to reviewers? Because the one I watched again last night isn’t the hilarious comedy they all seem to keep going on about.

I think I saw someone making this point on another forum somewhere but this is no funnier than shows like Dexter or Bones. Y’know a drama about a serial killer and a forensic anthropologist respectively. Indeed if anything they are funnier because when they do break up the tension with a joke it’s funny and well constructed, not just relying on a big pile of swearing, that will eventually land a giggle.

I haven’t spoken to one person I know who thought the first ep was funny and I don’t see last nights chaniging anyone’s opinion. Two maybe wry smiles across a half hour isn’t good enough. No matter how beautifully shot this is. It’s a drama. Not a comedy.

And Anthony Head again seemed like he was in a different show.

Utterly disappointing. :(:(:(
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's filthy and potty-mouthed but it has a strange charm. I like it.

What with QI, Not Going Out, Pushing Daisies then this on C4+1, I'm finding Friday night telly perfect easy-going, start-of-weekend viewing.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Not wanting to be girlie about this but... who's this aimed at? I love a good rom com but if I wanted to see a bunch of middle aged people swearing a lot i'd have let my boyfriend watch Scarface again. Don't like it at all.

Pushing Daisies however I ab-so-lutely love. Now that's got a rom story-line I care about. last nights was great. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Howis_22 wrote: »
    Not wanting to be girlie about this but... who's this aimed at? I love a good rom com but if I wanted to see a bunch of middle aged people swearing a lot i'd have let my boyfriend watch Scarface again. Don't like it at all.

Pushing Daisies however I ab-so-lutely love. Now that's got a rom story-line I care about. last nights was great. :D

"Middle-aged"?! :confused::eek:

Does mummy know you're using the computer? :p:D
  • Options
    ElementaireElementaire Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    "Middle-aged"?! :confused::eek:

Does mummy know you're using the computer? :p:D

My teenage daughter watched it and thought it was just a bunch of grown-ups swearing in an attempt to shock a la Skins :rolleyes:
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a pile of former doggy breakfasts this show is.
    Half of the actors are as wooden as the New Forest. Several sounded as though they'd hired Stephen Hawking as their vocal coach. The dull mono-tone delivery reminded me of my 10 yr olds school play.

I've just watched the second episode and it's even worse than the first. Totally devoid of humour, dull acting, even duller characters, piss poor script... basically a waste of 30mins of my life.

The uses of swearing can be really funny (think Life of Brian with Graham Chapman in a hole trying to explain that he isn't the Messiah, giving up and then saying "OK I am the messiah..... now f**k off!") but this show isn't. The constant use of bad/lude language (poorly delivered) just becomes irritating and any shock/comedic value it could have offered is lost.

I'm told it's supposed to be an edgy sit-com. Some people are raving on about it - the thought of which makes me think they are having an 'Emperors New Clothes' moment. It's neither edgy or remotely funny.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spazmonkey wrote: »
    I’m sorry but do channel 4 have another show called Free Agents they’re sending out to reviewers? Because the one I watched again last night isn’t the hilarious comedy they all seem to keep going on about.

I was wondering the same thing because The Guardian gave it a rave review and after watching it I did wonder if they watched a episode of Pulling and Green Wing edited together by mistake?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    I was wondering the same thing because The Guardian gave it a rave review and after watching it I did wonder if they watched a episode of Pulling and Green Wing edited together by mistake?

I really do feel like all of the reviewers have jumped on the 'Pulling unfairly cancelled' bandwagon, and are praising Free Agents as an excuse to then bang on about how good Pulling was.

I finally watched the second episode last night. Still not funny, but this weeks seemed even worse written. They set up all of these interesting ideas - like Anthony Head's group meeting, how he'd fallen in love, him getting advice from the other two - and then did nothing with them. I don't mind my expectations not being met in terms of where a story's going - but when nothing else happened in the show other than more aimless crying and swearing, it felt like even more of a shame when Head's storyline was thrown away for the sake of a really poor wanking joke.

Rab C. Nesbitt for me this week, I think...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    thought it was very funny and had a good story, alot better than the poor comedies the bbc seem to be making at the moment, good replacement for peep show while its away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit I was a tad disappointed initially, as all the previews I read hyped it to death as the funniest thing since Father Ted!

Having said that though, I enjoy it nonetheless and will watch it every week even though it's not that funny - I like the two main characters, and find the storylines quite engaging.
  • Options
    mistrimistri Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I alone in really liking this? It's not laugh-a-second hysterical, but I find some of the cringe-worthy moments very funny and true to life! I like the two main characters a lot. And though my office isn't quite in the same leagues of this one, we do have a lot of 'banter' too, so I can identify with that aspect of it.
  • Options
    Dub1Dub1 Posts: 5,959
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it in the end.As many have said,no big laughs...but lots of lovely well scripted little moments.

Loved the two main characters as well.
  • Options
    Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it was a comedy drama rather than a sit com.

Loved the main two characters. They were beautifully played and I actually cared.
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Cannot believe some of the criticism on here. It was poignant, funny and beautifully acted.
  • Options
    sjoscinevsjoscinev Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have just watched last night's and I agree with the last three posters; the series started very slowly but in the end that only served to let us get to know and like the characters - as opposed to Pulling which I hated as I couldn't warm to any of them.
  • Options
    ElementaireElementaire Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    I'm really glad I stuck with it too. It was a real grower, and just got better and better the more you got to know the very well written (and acted) characters. I agree with Satnavvy - it was poignant, funny and beautifully acted.
  • Options
    winactivewinactive Posts: 2,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has it finished? Six episodes? No proper finale? How queer!
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not queer at all. Six episodes per series has been the accepted template for a British comedy show for years; e.g. People like Us, The Office, Gavin & Stacy (series 1), The Inbetweeners, Nighty Night, Being Human, The IT Crowd, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Phoenix Knights, Father Ted (series 1), Early Doors, The Royle Family, and many, many more.

There are exceptions; Gavin & Stacey series 2 and both series of Spaced had 7 and Father Ted later series grew but generally it's six.

(Sadly the likes of My Family or My Hero subject us to dozens of episodes per series).

As for a proper ending why would they do that when they want to be comissioned for a second series?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I thought this was an excellent series that was different to pretty much anything else out there at the moment. I guess people just can't absorb new things that easily...

It was sharp, dark, rude, foul mouthed, and realistic in the right places and exagerated in others. Basically like real life with the funny and sad moments highlighted...

Does it have to be a laught a minute? What is wrong with a well acted character driven comedy drama?