Options

Help needed on setting up VCR with a Freeview Box

Hi,

I made the misguided attempt to do something nice for my m-i-l and bought her a dvd player for her birthday! Of course, muggins here also ended up having to connect everything up again!

When I'd finished plugging everything in and resetting everything, she found that she could watch her new dvd player (I suppose she'll expect me to buy her some dvd's soon too!!), watch terrestrial tv, watch her freeview channels, video her terrestrial channels but nothing I have done has allowed her to video the freeview channels.

I'm positive that I've got all the cables plugged into the right places and I've retuned the vcr player but I just can't seem to get it to recognise the freeview box any more. The worst thing is that it used to work before I bought her the blasted dvd player (and of course that is the only comment that she has made about the whole sorry mess!! One tiny thankyou and weeks of grief about the loss of functionality!)

The vcr is a JVC HR-J695EK and the Freeview box is a Daewoo DS608P. There is a section in the manual about the fact that you have to programme in a Satellite Receiver by setting the satellite receiver's brand - but of course, there is no brand for the Daewoo. I called JVC (on their very expensive 'Help' line) but they were very condescending and little or no use.

Does anyone out there have any tips or ideas that might help me? Or does anyone know of a good lawyer who can tell me if matricide also cover mother-in-laws as well?!!

Debra

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has this not been working ever since you bought the DVD player for your mother-in-law's 70th birthday in 2005?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=313345

And did you ever get the problems with your own DVD player that you received for your birthday in 2004 sorted out?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=51920&page=4&pp=25

If you can replicate with your mother-in-law's set up what you did with yours then you should be able to get it all working.
  • Options
    broadzbroadz Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daewoo DS608P has two scarts - use one to connect the freeview box to the TV (probably marked TV), use the other to connect the freeview box to your VCR (probably marked VCR). To record freeview, select the correct channel on the freeview box, set your VCR to scart input (AV1?), press record. As long as your scart cable and connections are okay, this should work a treat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    Just to echo and expand on what Braodz has said, you will need to set the freeview channel yourself. when you said:
    There is a section in the manual about the fact that you have to programme in a Satellite Receiver by setting the satellite receiver's brand

I think this is because the JVC VCR probably came with a little Infra Red SENDER that you can put near the digi-box (satellite, freeview etc) so that the VCR can change the channel. This is an extra feature, nice to have, but not necessary. So no tuning/programming/branding will be necessary. You will just need to set the VCR to AV1 or AV2 (depending on which scart input you are using) and it should work from there.
  • Options
    Ian1943Ian1943 Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    I don't know if this will help but I tried to connect a freeview box with a VCR some months ago and like you was satisfied that all the connections were correct. I spent about 15mins on the phone to the help-line for the VCR who confirmed that the set-up should work. They said they would arrange an exchange for the VCR. After the phone call I tried connecting the scart leads in the 'incorrect' sockets and hey-presto, everything worked!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Has this not been working ever since you bought the DVD player for your mother-in-law's 70th birthday in 2005?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=313345

And did you ever get the problems with your own DVD player that you received for your birthday in 2004 sorted out?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=51920&page=4&pp=25

If you can replicate with your mother-in-law's set up what you did with yours then you should be able to get it all working.

Hi Chris,

Yes, this is the dvd player that I bought for her in December 2005! We've had an awful year with people going in and out of hospital, and then my father dying so it kept getting shelved.

I've taken the task back on again - on the whole, it's been working fine - except for the videoing. I did get mine all working fine and as far as I can see, her set-up is the same as mine ... I'll take the advice given here and try it out this weekend.

Thank you everyone for helping me - I'll let you know how I get on.

Debra