ESPN America (Part 2)

Comments

• ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    City2000 wrote: »
    Sure, well I have just got off the phone with NHL Support who told me that they do accept Visa Debit cards, however for some reason they won't accept mine. The guy I spoke to didn't know why my card kept on failing and blamed the bank whilst the bank blames them so i'm none the wiser really.

The real strange thing is that it worked online last month and as Visa Debit seems to work for others I suspect if I re-sign up online it will probably work again although I can't be sure of that. One thing that is for sure is that after my experience I would advise anyone signing up against going for the monthly payment option.

My account is effectively suspended for now and seeing as they have bumped the price up i'll probably wait for now and see if they drop the price at some stage. I do really enjoy the service but i'm not sure I was getting enough use out it anyway for the price, the real shame is that the NHL is on Premier Sports which I can't get on Virgin so looks like i'll be going without hockey for a while.

Thanks for this. That is very strange. We're on Virgin too hence why I'm asking, but we're getting a PS3 soon :)

We're going to pay for the year in one go so I hope I won't get any of the card problems you have!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    This is a bit lame by ESPN America, it's not as though they couldn't find time in the schedule. I get the podcast as well and it seems to have been on most Mondays of late.

Yes, glad a couple of people finally agree with me. I've moaned about their treatment of ATH and PTI on here before.

I've emailed them several times but obviously they dont reply to individual emails. My bugbear always is that the same episode of live Sportscenter is shown FOUR times in the morning. Surely they could show them around this time, if they've been replaced by a live show/game the night before. If they cant do it for contractual reasons, at least tell us.

I've started getting the podcast too just in case, but its not the same as watching it to be fair.
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why Sportsnation gets 2 showings in the space of 3 hrs, why not show PTI and ATH at 5am, followed by SC and then the nation at 8 as usual. We missed the Halloween dress up episode thanks to this stupid arrangement and Jackie Mac's Lady Gaga meat dress homage. Thankfully Behind the Horn fills the gap a bit but really missing both shows on Mondays now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    1982 wrote: »
    Yes, glad a couple of people finally agree with me. I've moaned about their treatment of ATH and PTI on here before.

I've emailed them several times but obviously they dont reply to individual emails. My bugbear always is that the same episode of live Sportscenter is shown FOUR times in the morning. Surely they could show them around this time, if they've been replaced by a live show/game the night before. If they cant do it for contractual reasons, at least tell us.

I've started getting the podcast too just in case, but its not the same as watching it to be fair.

Totally agree. And I wouldn't mind as much if it was the first airing of the new BCS rankings, but instead it's a random ESPNU show, nearly 24 hours after the actual rankings are announced, it's fairly pointless in that regard. It's a rare terrible scheduling decision by ESPNA.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly a bit off-topic but does anyone know if any British/European channel is showing baseball's Japan Series or will be showing the upcoming Asia Series?

Also, I know ESPN America (or was it still NASN?) screened the World Baseball Classic in 2009 and I presume they will be doing the same for the final stages of the 2013 tournament, but does anyone know how likely they are to show Great Britain's qualification games for the WBC next year?

I know it's not quite "sport from America" but as a baseball fan with no interest in college sports, I would like to see any of the above taking up space on the channel in the absence of the NBA and NHL, particularly as it doesn't look like we're any closer to seeing ESPN America being used as an overspill for ESPN UK.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ossibly a bit off-topic but does anyone know if any British/European channel is showing baseball's Japan Series or will be showing the upcoming Asia Series?

Not listed on the wiki page for the Japan Series, or on livesportontv. I can't see much demand in the UK for it.
    Also, I know ESPN America (or was it still NASN?) screened the World Baseball Classic in 2009 and I presume they will be doing the same for the final stages of the 2013 tournament, but does anyone know how likely they are to show Great Britain's qualification games for the WBC next year?

Probably to the WBC, but based on the lack of interest in domestic baseball in the UK, can't imagine GB qualification. Maybe PremierSports will hoover it up. :)
    I know it's not quite "sport from America" but as a baseball fan with no interest in college sports, I would like to see any of the above taking up space on the channel in the absence of the NBA and NHL, particularly as it doesn't look like we're any closer to seeing ESPN America being used as an overspill for ESPN UK.

My guess is ESPNA will focus heavily on college football and basketball the next several months. Probably not what a baeball fan was hoping to hear, but they have to maximise what they've got. If you have any interest in US sports it's worth giving them a shot, the level of play is not far off the pros.
  • packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    , particularly as it doesn't look like we're any closer to seeing ESPN America being used as an overspill for ESPN UK.

Seems to be the other way round. ESPN UK is overspill for ESPNA...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the detailed reply Hendero. I'm sure baseball from outside of Major League Baseball is quite niche market in the UK, but surely so must be American football and basketball from beyond the NFL and NBA as well.

I'm not a huge fan of either of these sports, but even so if I was to watch non-NFL gridiron or non-NBA basketball it'd be from the CFL and the Euroleague respectively. Each to their own but college sports have never appealed to me and I doubt I'm the only European fan of North American sports to feel this way.

On baseball played outside of North America, I know it is somewhat of a pipe dream and producing an English language commentary feed would be an issue, but picking up the World Series of Japan/Asia and World Baseball Classic qualifiers wouldn't interfere with ESPN America's existing output due to their daytime timeslots and surely would command at least as much interest as the umpteenth repeat of an ESPN sports magazine show in these quiet times for US sport.

Out of interest, do you know how many games ESPN America carried live from the last World Baseball Classic back in 2009? Did they take matches played in the Tokyo Dome group live? Should they get rights to the 2013 WBC I hope they'd show as many of the 39 games live as possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the detailed reply Hendero. I'm sure baseball from outside of Major League Baseball is quite niche market in the UK, but surely so must be American football and basketball from beyond the NFL and NBA as well.

I'm not a huge fan of either of these sports, but even so if I was to watch non-NFL gridiron or non-NBA basketball it'd be from the CFL and the Euroleague respectively. Each to their own but college sports have never appealed to me and I doubt I'm the only European fan of North American sports to feel this way.

On baseball played outside of North America, I know it is somewhat of a pipe dream and producing an English language commentary feed would be an issue, but picking up the World Series of Japan/Asia and World Baseball Classic qualifiers wouldn't interfere with ESPN America's existing output due to their daytime timeslots and surely would command at least as much interest as the umpteenth repeat of an ESPN sports magazine show in these quiet times for US sport.

Just to say the biggest viewership on ESPNA is NCAA Football followed by MLB. NHL followed. Per the TV ratings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting. I guess it just goes to show how much popularity American football has in this country compared to the three other major North American team sports, going back to the 1980s and Channel 4's coverage of gridiron no doubt. Good to see Major League Baseball is in second spot ahead of everything else though.
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to recall that the last two WBCs were live on NASN, as for Team GB Performances, I've seen them in the Euro Champs on Eurosport on more than one occasion, so I guess it might be on that. Mind you coverage was pretty bad, no where near up to ESPN/FOX/CSN/TBS coverage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its all politcal bullshit to be honest. I think ESPN snubbed the rights in the UK possibly over lack of rights in the US and now ESPN can show the sports that ESPN covers. They talk about money, yet Setanta was able to buy the rights. lmao that now there is a NBA lockout less sport for ESPN to show. Wonder if things would have been different if Frank Lynn was still in charge?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    GeoffNI wrote: »
    I think its all politcal bullshit to be honest. I think ESPN snubbed the rights in the UK possibly over lack of rights in the US and now ESPN can show the sports that ESPN covers. They talk about money, yet Setanta was able to buy the rights. lmao that now there is a NBA lockout less sport for ESPN to show. Wonder if things would have been different if Frank Lynn was still in charge?

Well they have NHL in most of Europe (on ESPNA) again this season so I think you are barking up the wrong treee there.
    Forum Member
    Finally got Gamecenter. Stunned at how brilliant it is. Just wish they had the CBC pregame/intermission stuff but that can be watched on YouTube.
    Forum Member
    So, can I watch Gamecenter Live on my PS3 from the UK, or is it definitely Canada and the US only? It works fine on my PC but the PS3 would be better for me.
    Forum Member
    ElMarko wrote: »
    Finally got Gamecenter. Stunned at how brilliant it is. Just wish they had the CBC pregame/intermission stuff but that can be watched on YouTube.

I intend to get it once the College football is over. Do you def get all the playoffs?

Are there any blackouts?

Watched a couple of games on Premier but did not like the coverage and watching HD highlights on ESPNA is good enough for now.

In regard to PS3 yes you create a US account and then download it. Works fine from what I have heard. Not sure how that will work jn the playoffs though as in the US gamecentre viewers get minimal coverage.
  • stevebluejaystevebluejay Posts: 3,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NitaJez wrote: »
    I intend to get it once the College football is over. Do you def get all the playoffs?

Are there any blackouts?

Watched a couple of games on Premier but did not like the coverage and watching HD highlights on ESPNA is good enough for now.

In regard to PS3 yes you create a US account and then download it. Works fine from what I have heard. Not sure how that will work jn the playoffs though as in the US gamecentre viewers get minimal coverage.

I watch it on my PS3 and it works a treat, you can get live games, also condensed and highlights as well, with the scores off, they work really well.

I was told by someone at the NHL help centre, that all of they playoffs are available, so we will wait and see.

There are no blackouts in the UK at all.

I am really impressed, i recommend also Apple TV, just set the location to the US and the NHL app is there, it is very smooth and looks good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am more than impressed with Gamecenter, well worth paying out for.
    The historic games feature is a bonus too, some classic match ups and names from the past.
    Forum Member
    One US-registered account later and I'm watching the NHL on my PS3. It's brilliant quality but there is a major flaw in that games don't become playable until waaaaay after they've already started.

Anybody else getting that?
  • DelennDelenn Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very disappointed ESPNA did not get the Big Ten and Pac 12 championship games from Fox. After showing so many games from both these conferences, I feel somewhat small-changed.
    Forum Member
    Delenn wrote: »
    Very disappointed ESPNA did not get the Big Ten and Pac 12 championship games from Fox. After showing so many games from both these conferences, I feel somewhat small-changed.

Perhaps if they did not have anything on but they did have other LIVE College Football on at that time. So they would only have got AS LIVE and we would have therefore known the results unless we did not watch the LIVE games they were showing at that time.

PAC 12 was ......boring anyway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    The main ESPN channel showed the Big Ten Championship game live
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Any one know if live NBA games will be added to the ESPN America schedule, or will it stay exclusive to ESPN?? I honestly think they should, we were getting 7-8 live NHL games a week, surely that void wouldn't be filled by College Basketball in February and March with no other sports on the schedule. Same goes for April, May, June and July when Baseball is possibly the only sport on the channel. It'll be interesting to see what they do after College Football is over, but please no College Wrestling or Gymnastics or Track and Field!!
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LDT wrote: »
    Any one know if live NBA games will be added to the ESPN America schedule, or will it stay exclusive to ESPN?? I honestly think they should, we were getting 7-8 live NHL games a week, surely that void wouldn't be filled by College Basketball in February and March with no other sports on the schedule. Same goes for April, May, June and July when Baseball is possibly the only sport on the channel. It'll be interesting to see what they do after College Football is over, but please no College Wrestling or Gymnastics or Track and Field!!
    Broadcasters in other countries that get the same version of ESPNA we do have the NBA rights, hence they're on ESPN. Its probably the old Scandinavia issue- exactly what seems to have caused the problem with NHL rights. That issue underlines the need for a UK & Ireland only feed of ESPNA.

I don't want the NBA on ESPNA, because if/when they get the NHL rights back it'll cause too many schedule clashes. MLB is one of the main attractions of ESPNA and they need to keep a large number of games to make it appealing when theres competition from MLB.tv

Its not exactly a problem- everyone who gets ESPNA also gets ESPN, but not the other way round. So it provides an extra incentive for those with Freeview boxes with a card slot to subscribe. All extra income for ESPN, hopefully to get the NHL rights back. As for a lack of content on ESPNA, yes its a bit concerning. However if you're bothered its very simple- unsusbscribe. I did once the MLB had finished and NHL had been lost to Premier Sports- I'm not interested in college sports and a bit of extra football and rugby on ESPN isn't worth £10pm to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeffersbnl wrote: »
    Broadcasters in other countries that get the same version of ESPNA we do have the NBA rights, hence they're on ESPN. Its probably the old Scandinavia issue- exactly what seems to have caused the problem with NHL rights. That issue underlines the need for a UK & Ireland only feed of ESPNA.

I don't want the NBA on ESPNA, because if/when they get the NHL rights back it'll cause too many schedule clashes. MLB is one of the main attractions of ESPNA and they need to keep a large number of games to make it appealing when theres competition from MLB.tv

Its not exactly a problem- everyone who gets ESPNA also gets ESPN, but not the other way round. So it provides an extra incentive for those with Freeview boxes with a card slot to subscribe. All extra income for ESPN, hopefully to get the NHL rights back. As for a lack of content on ESPNA, yes its a bit concerning. However if you're bothered its very simple- unsusbscribe. I did once the MLB had finished and NHL had been lost to Premier Sports- I'm not interested in college sports and a bit of extra football and rugby on ESPN isn't worth £10pm to me.

You are completely correct that is why the NBA stays on ESPN (same for NFL MNF). As to ESPNA, yes come February there will one month when there is only one live sport on - thankfully they will still have all their studio shows and MLB will be back in March.
    I also agree a UK Specific version of ESPNA is required and I believe it will go that way in 2012. To us UK viweres having certain US sports on ESPN and others on ESPNA does make no difference as many have both channels in the UK.
    ESPNA have just done another one of their surveys, so it will be quite interesting to see where that ends up.
    ESPN and ESPNA are great channels for US sport - they show every sport, except NHL (which they will hopefully get back next year).