When is KitKat out for Nexus Devices?

Comments

• The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    what range of options do you need in an SMS app?
    it sends SMS, it receives SMS - job done really.

Id like to be able to resize the text, not a massive ask is it, i also do not want it getting mixed up with video calls and chats over wifi/data.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    The Sack wrote: »
    Id like to be able to resize the text, not a massive ask is it, i also do not want it getting mixed up with video calls and chats over wifi/data.

Sign out of hangouts. Simple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    With Kitkat apparently designed to work on low end devices, I wonder if it will speed up the original Nexus 7. It's not exactly underpowered but mine certainly does feel laggy.

Rik.

It doesn't work like that mate, it will still use the resources available to it rather than using less RAM
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »

Not use it and disable it, even better :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Being a bit more serious so people understand what i am on about. My contact lenses effectively make me long sighted so the text becomes a struggle to read on the default SMS app, i dont want to increase the entire system text size just the size of a text message, This isnt possible in the default app.

Plus i like my text app to look pretty :D the hangouts version and all previous version are a bit strictly missionary aren't they, nice every once in a while but some variety is more than welcome.

Chomp does everything i want and i can support the dev by giving him/her a quid for a licence to remove the adverts, everyone is happy.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Id like to be able to resize the text, not a massive ask is it

did the previous stock messaging app allow you to do that?
    i also do not want it getting mixed up with video calls and chats over wifi/data.

and that's why 4.4 allows you to use any sms app you want and set it to system default.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I didn't like hangouts so I don't use it.

It's weird that people keep telling me I'm wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I didn't like hangouts so I don't use it.

It's weird that people keep telling me I'm wrong.

if your reasons for not liking it are factually wrong then it wouldn't be weird.
    if they are simply offering an alternate view based on your findings then that also isn't weird.

however, you used the past tense by saying you didn't like hangouts, which makes me assume that you now like it.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    With Kitkat apparently designed to work on low end devices, I wonder if it will speed up the original Nexus 7. It's not exactly underpowered but mine certainly does feel laggy.

Rik.

The problem with the N7 2012 is that Asus cheaped out on the flash storage. The sluggishness that effects your tablet also effects all of the other tablets they made around that time (Transformer Prime is one I think). The trim support in 4.3 was supposed to help with this.
    Forum Member
    if your reasons for not liking it are factually wrong then it wouldn't be weird.
    if they are simply offering an alternate view based on your findings then that also isn't weird.

however, you used the past tense by saying you didn't like hangouts, which makes me assume that you now like it.

I didn't like hangouts so I stopped using it the tense is correct.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

My Mrs started using a different SMS client as she started getting hangout messages from people she didn't know!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Mrs started using a different SMS client as she started getting hangout messages from people she didn't know!

there is a setting somewhere within the google settings to only allow hangouts messages from people in your circles. sounds like it is currently set to allow messages from anyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you should have said "I don't like hangouts so I don't use it."
    out of interest, what makes you not like it?

from what i can see it is really no different to the messages app in iOS which combines iMessage and SMS.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we'll see i guess. my nexus 7 2012 sometimes lags a bit. and i think it is in part to do with chrome being shit.

my nexus 5 is a lot faster. but then it is actually a lot faster.

Installing adblock helped a bit for me on chrome. Especially here on DS. I was sick of waiting with a frozen screen until all the ads loaded. Chrome is just too convenient and easy to use for me to start using another browser.:o
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Nexus 4 that I have had just over 4 months now seems faster then my just over 16 month old Nexus 7.

Darren
  • fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The factory images are out for the Nexus 4 now. OTA has to be imminent.
  • RavenRaven Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Before I heard about KitKat, I always thought K was going to be Key Lime Pie. Did Rowntree's sponsor the new name?

:D:D:D

This is totally off topic but reading your post starts so many thoughts spinning through my head. . . .

You gotta be over 40 !!! . . . at least :D

Man! . . . Do KitKat's *** not taste the same anymore.

Put those Pastilles down Ma , put those Pastilles down.

In 88 , all the promises made (and then broken) to the staff in Rowntree Mackintosh during the takeover by Nestle and the eventual destruction of one of Britains best/most historical companies . . . . so they can continue to produce their bland swiss chocolate :(

Runs off to find his old recording of the Ch4/Grahem Norton "Top 100 uk Ads" show. :D

Insert confectionary of choice (Rolo, Smarties, Aero Caramac) :(
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re last post: Funnily enough there was an item on business news this morning where they were interviewing the CEO of Nestlé, and the video showed the KitKat production line. Didn't know they owned the brand.

Re hangouts discussion: I thought it was an alternative to SMS to avoid using up text message allowance. I have a permanent hangout set up with my son and that works via WiFi or data if I'm out.
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Re hangouts discussion: I thought it was an alternative to SMS to avoid using up text message allowance. I have a permanent hangout set up with my son and that works via WiFi or data if I'm out.

It is sort of. in many ways it's better.

but the point at issue is that they have merged the sms client in to hangouts, so the sms client is gone and hangouts is now used to send sms and hangouts. which leads to some strange issues.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you should have said "I don't like hangouts so I don't use it."

No. If he'd said 'I don't like it' that would imply that he'd tried it recently. He's saying he 'didn't like it' because he tried it some time ago, made his decision about it then and has not bothered since. His tense is correct.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fletchem wrote: »
    The factory images are out for the Nexus 4 now. OTA has to be imminent.

I think I may well flash them tonight.

According to Brian Klug the OTAs are rolled out, by Google at least, the following way. They send out updates to 10% of the devices and wait to see how many come back on line, or in other words how may brick. They do it again for another 10%. Then it is open to all. Not sure how true those percentages are but I wouldn't argue with anyone from AnandTech.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I have posted elsewhere on here. Still no 4.4 update but some of the Google services have updated on my Nexus 4 and just over 16 month old Nexus 7 the day.
    Although my Nexus 4 still has the SMS app. Google Hangouts now seems to be starting to take over.

Darren
  • fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Google search on the homescreen is superb. It asks you questions now. Try asking it to call someone with multiple numbers.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    For anyone still waiting for the Nexus 4 OTA (Could be several weeks) this guide is the best one for updating your NEXUS with Factory firmware......
    http://betanews.com/2013/11/18/how-to-install-android-4-4-kitkat-on-nexus-4-5-7-and-10/

Also be aware that on the Nexus 4 you may want to install the GEL (Google Experience Launcher) to get the benefit of the KitKat transparent stuff....
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2529594
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is sort of. in many ways it's better.

but the point at issue is that they have merged the sms client in to hangouts, so the sms client is gone and hangouts is now used to send sms and hangouts. which leads to some strange issues.

Got my Nexus 5 yesterday and have found no issues at all with SMS via Hangouts. As others have said what other elaborations do you need for SMS. Type and send and receive. Job done.