TUTV lose 100,000 subscribers

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    truth hurts! :p
    So you think I am stupid too? :confused:
    the thing i don't understand is how tutv suits but how sky can't wouldn't????
    I don't NEED the amount of choice Sky offers.....I don't NEED to pay what Sky charges to supply my needs.
    my plus box has got over 5 pages of stuff recorded ready to watch. Stuff for us and the kids.
    My original Thomson at My GF's has recordings back to early last year still to be watched. That's why it suits my needs.
    I spent some of the weekend clearing some of the saved progs I've not got round to watching, which included a few episodes of Psychic Detective (has this ever been of Freeview?) from July last year.
    Also watched some Freeivew stuff we had recorded and not got round to watching.
    so... that just works like TUTV..... but with better quality and more choice.
    But more than I am willing to spend on TV each month
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    I too am getting fed up with the current box. It's freezing 5 or 6 times a day at the moment. Also reboots itself 3 or 4 times a day and usually freezes when I try to record something. $ky is looking like a good option compared to this pile of technology. Reminds me of a Sinclair ZX81 I used to have.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hunter2660 wrote: »
    Good grief. We're taliking £2.50 a week, many people pay more for their newspapers. How is that stupid? :rolleyes:

TUTV serves a purpose. It gives people who can't have, or do not want a dish, a little extra choice for a little extra money.

I agree Hunter. If you want to TOP UP your Freeview with a bit extra choice then this seems like a good choice and fair enough. Sure BT Vision is the logical choice and works well IF YOU HAVE/WANT BT BROADBAND. If you want more and are willing to pay more then these options are not for you. It really is that simple. Admittedly some of the software upgrades especially 2.93 have been pants. But 2.99 seems better (at least for me)
  • dan44762000dan44762000 Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Un-reliable equiptment and crap content! :D

agreed i had it for 3 months free trial and to be honest it was completely rubbish
    i,d rather go without than pay for tutv
  • archipelagoarchipelago Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you think I am stupid too? :confused:

I don't NEED the amount of choice Sky offers.....I don't NEED to pay what Sky charges to supply my needs.

My original Thomson at My GF's has recordings back to early last year still to be watched. That's why it suits my needs.
    I spent some of the weekend clearing some of the saved progs I've not got round to watching, which included a few episodes of Psychic Detective (has this ever been of Freeview?) from July last year.
    Also watched some Freeivew stuff we had recorded and not got round to watching.

But more than I am willing to spend on TV each month

1/ Do I think you are stupid..??

well... I have no real opinion of you.

2/ thats the point with b/band and TV.... the way I do it is the cheapest I can do it..... for what I want (pay tv). Who is your b/band with btw?

3/ Yes..and your point is the same as mine!...apart from Psychic Detectives which sounds monstrous.

4/ £7 a month? £1.62 a week..... crikey your principles are expensive!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt Quinn wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Yeah right; like THAT isn't another crock of sh....

I wasted literally hours on the phone to the bank(HBOS) only to EVENTUALLY be told they wanted copies of all the correspondence and a statement in writing and.... And basically bounced me back to TUTV....

It's £30. Not even an hour's wages (which isn't the pont; theft is theft) ........ I've got a business to run!

£30 not even a hours wage. You obviously don't work where I work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slyfox51 wrote: »
    £30 not even a hours wage. You obviously don't work where I work.

He might well be your boss :D:D;)
  • oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    To get back to the topic
    TUTV lose 100,000 subscribers if as I suspect UK Gold or G.O.L.D or whatever it is called is missing from my box on Tuesday night then it will be 100,001 .
    There is no listing what so ever in the TOPUPTV guide but there is in the EPG for channel 17.
    We will see.
    Regards
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Further to my earlier post regarding TUTV taking £29.98 from my account, several weeks after cancellation,after sampling the free trial, , i finally got hold of a man in cancellations dept who on the face of it seems to have resolved the issue with minimum hassle.He accepetd the cancelation was on the system bit "for some reason" it hadn't been actioned! They will refund unauthorised withdrawal but this will take 14-28 days which, whilst i'm no very pleased about at least they seem to acknowledge it's their fault and i'll wait to see if the money is reimbursed as promised and have taken the precaution of phoning the bank to check debit authorisation is cancelled. Still think it's wrong to put all the onus on the customer to check and ensure everthing is followed through but s'pose as always , Buyer Beware!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DIGIT-AL wrote: »
    Further to my earlier post regarding TUTV taking £29.98 from my account, several weeks after cancellation,after sampling the free trial, , i finally got hold of a man in cancellations dept who on the face of it seems to have resolved the issue with minimum hassle.He accepetd the cancelation was on the system bit "for some reason" it hadn't been actioned! They will refund unauthorised withdrawal but this will take 14-28 days which, whilst i'm no very pleased about at least they seem to acknowledge it's their fault and i'll wait to see if the money is reimbursed as promised and have taken the precaution of phoning the bank to check debit authorisation is cancelled. Still think it's wrong to put all the onus on the customer to check and ensure everthing is followed through but s'pose as always , Buyer Beware!!

Hopefully all will end well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,796
    Forum Member
    N73 wrote: »
    Not supprised they are loosing subscribers

On Digital might have been considered the poor man's sky. I consider topuptv to be the stupid man's sky.
    Stupid I maybe......but at least I aint a sucker for The Ultimate Snake Oil Peddler that is Murdoch:p

There's one born every minute:yawn::sleep:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stupid I maybe......but at least I aint a sucker for The Ultimate Snake Oil Peddler that is Murdoch:p

There's one born every minute:yawn::sleep:

yes but you normally find them in the BTV forum...;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not supprised they are loosing subscribers

On Digital might have been considered the poor man's sky. I consider topuptv to be the stupid man's sky.

Not that im pro sky.

It just seams a pointless silly service.

A service for people that are bored with their lives and get excited about coming home from work to watch the repeats that have been downloaded to their PVR from the previous night. (or just those with anti sky sentiment)
  • oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Yes a pointless silly service for those people who can't/won't install a dish --- not.
    I can't wait to rush home from work ,kick the cat off my favourite chair and view all the repeats from the night before
    that is when I'm not out in my boat fishing (weather permitting) or windsurfing (weather permitting) or cycling to the local pub for a Guiness or 2.
    Then I can come home and the cycle starts all over again.
    Regards--a bored with life and pointless silly service viewer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oscar1 wrote: »
    Yes a pointless silly service for those people who can't/won't install a dish --- not.
    I can't wait to rush home from work ,kick the cat off my favourite chair and view all the repeats from the night before
    that is when I'm not out in my boat fishing (weather permitting) or windsurfing (weather permitting) or cycling to the local pub for a Guiness or 2.
    Then I can come home and the cycle starts all over again.
    Regards--a bored with life and pointless silly service viewer.

a mid life crisis..??

now that would be a TV show worth watching!!!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that im pro sky.

A service for people that are bored with their lives and get excited about coming home from work to watch the repeats that have been downloaded to their PVR from the previous night. (or just those with anti sky sentiment)

Ummmmm. So why are you posting silly pointless comments about something you have absolutely no interest in. Seem to get a lot of that in these forums lately. I can see why PB has pissed off. :rolleyes:
  • clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1/ Do I think you are stupid..??
    2/ thats the point with b/band and TV.... the way I do it is the cheapest I can do it..... for what I want (pay tv). Who is your b/band with btw?

Sky broadband isn't what it seems. You have to add £10.50 per month to whatever they quote. That is the cost of the line rental they mention in the very very very very tiny writing at the bottom of the page. I pay £19.99 a month for all my calls, broadband and line rental.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,796
    Forum Member
    Not that im pro sky.

They're only repeats if you've seen them already. Yes it is pointless if you have access to another service, but I don't. Can't have a dish, no cable in my street and BB is patchy so its TUTV and Freeview, and I actually like the service.:p
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clinch wrote: »
    Sky broadband isn't what it seems. You have to add £10.50 per month to whatever they quote. That is the cost of the line rental they mention in the very very very very tiny writing at the bottom of the page. I pay £19.99 a month for all my calls, broadband and line rental.

You don't have to take Sky's line rental if you already have line rental from BT or another provider. (Who doesn't in this day and age?:confused:)

I'm only paying an extra £5 on top of my TV subscription. Light Internet users can get Sky's basic package (up to 2Mb downloads with a 2GB monthly allowance) as a free add-on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    I

Dr Who which I like is not a problem, I can either get a mate of mine to record it or connect the computer to the T.V and use Iplayer.

don't get me wrong, I still think TUTV is a good idea and I know people who are happy with it, but then these people don't have a phone line or bradband and TUTV is the only way they can get pay T.V without a contract

Glad we agree on the principle :-)
    Just a point , if you use a monitor to receive ANY TV content (inc iPlayer think you are still liable for the License. Not going into details on this but probably worth checking out. Sorry for going off topic
  • DX30DX30 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the risk of going further off-topic I don't think iPlayer does need a Licence. The key factor seems to be whether you watch Live. Here is what they say about iPlayer on the BBC website - "At the moment, the legal position is that you don't need a licence to watch TV purely on-demand, but you do if you are watching TV live"

source:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/01/iplayer_does_not_require_a_tv_1.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DX30 wrote: »
    At the risk of going further off-topic I don't think iPlayer does need a Licence. The key factor seems to be whether you watch Live. Here is what they say about iPlayer on the BBC website - "At the moment, the legal position is that you don't need a licence to watch TV purely on-demand, but you do if you are watching TV live"

source:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/01/iplayer_does_not_require_a_tv_1.html

Interesting. The ISPs are apparently not too pleased with services such as this eating bandwidth. If you did need a license to watch them, I wonder if the ISPs will lobby for a share of the fee?
  • clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't have to take Sky's line rental if you already have line rental from BT or another provider. (Who doesn't in this day and age?:confused:)

I'm only paying an extra £5 on top of my TV subscription. Light Internet users can get Sky's basic package (up to 2Mb downloads with a 2GB monthly allowance) as a free add-on.

You misunderstand the point. The fact is you have to pay the line rental on top.
    I pay £19.99 a month . That includes everything - unlimited broadband, anytime calls and line rental. Add £9.99 a month to that for TUTV. That's a total of £29.98.
    With Sky the least costly TV package I could take would be £17 and that would provide only one type of programming - a problem for family members with different tastes. I would probably have to take the £22 package. To that I would have to add £5 for anytime calls, £10 for unlimited broadband and £10.50 for line rental. That's a total of £47.50. That's a difference of £17.52 per month. I think that's too much.
    I was with Sky for years, going back to analogue days, but it has become far too expensive to watch a bit of telly.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Interesting. The ISPs are apparently not too pleased with services such as this eating bandwidth. If you did need a license to watch them, I wonder if the ISPs will lobby for a share of the fee?

I'd put a good deal of money on that one. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Sadly I will be a statistic in the next set of results, having just cancelled... when you can't download content and there is nothing TUTV can suggest... the £9.99 for nothing starts to feel a bit expensive... especially with the credit crunch!