Comments

• ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »

Snap! I taped it last night and I've just started watching it :D I saw Dr Mosley on BBC Breakfast a few days ago and found the subject very interesting. Louise Minchin was cringing every time someone held up the tapeworm in a jar :D:D
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    Talking about head lice is making me itch now! Somehow after showing us head lice I knew the subject would turn to pubic lice.

:o
    /l
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Mosely always presents such interesting programmes. It's rumoured that Maria Callas infected herself with a tapeworm in order to rapidly lose a lot of weight.

I'd like one of those little cameras he swallowed so I can view my entire digestive system on my laptop at work.
  • MariaellaMariaella Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually enjoy Michael Mosley documentaries, but didn't like this. I thought the tape worm was a self experiment too far and couldn't see the point.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tape worm eggs were sold as slimming aids.
  • MariaellaMariaella Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It beggars belief that people would rather accommodate a tapeworm in their bellies than cut down on consumption.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I didn't see it but I'm glad I didn't. I watched something similar in the past and the following day I was at the chemists buying different anti-parasitics just to be sure.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    Tape worm eggs were sold as slimming aids.

I know its a mad idea :D I will have to watch it assuming it is on iplayer :)
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    There was a programme on about 8 or 9 years ago where the presenter purposely ingested a tape worm.

And another fella lay naked on a table as somebody tipped a jar of pubic, head & body lice onto his stomach. Then we watched as the lice went off in different directions - head, pubic area, etc.

Horrible.

I can't remember the name of it.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I think I remember that other programme!
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a programme on about 8 or 9 years ago where the presenter purposely ingested a tape worm.

And another fella lay naked on a table as somebody tipped a jar of pubic, head & body lice onto his stomach. Then we watched as the lice went off in different directions - head, pubic area, etc.

Horrible.

I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here? :)

I enjoyed the programme even though I was cringing through most of it. Parasites really do press the "disgust" button in us. I never thought of disgust being a survival tactic but it makes sense.
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member

Horrible.

North and South?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 213
    Forum Member

Horrible.

That's the one I was referring to above. It was called Body Snatchers I think. I remember after he passed his tapeworm he stretched it out on the grass so we could see the size of it. The whole thing gave me the creeps and I was convinced I had these things living in me.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the episode investigating Madonnas bush aired yet?
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen this programme but I am always reminded of something I saw perhaps 20 years ago about parasitic worms in Africa. It was extraordinary in the extreme. Apparently they entered via the feet and then proceded to work their way around the body just under the skin growing all the time. There were pictures of these africans with the tracks of these things running all around their body. Some were ten feet long and I jest not.

Strangely they weren't very affected by them but the film showed medicos removing them by locating the head making an incision and then persuading them out by wrapping them around a stick.

Does anyone else remember this?
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    I haven't seen this programme but I am always reminded of something I saw perhaps 20 years ago about parasitic worms in Africa. It was extraordinary in the extreme. Apparently they entered via the feet and then proceded to work their way around the body just under the skin growing all the time. There were pictures of these africans with the tracks of these things running all around their body. Some were ten feet long and I jest not.

Strangely they weren't very affected by them but the film showed medicos removing them by locating the head making an incision and then persuading them out by wrapping them around a stick.

Does anyone else remember this?

I remember Lenny Henry doing it on one of his Comic Relief trips to Africa.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sincerely hope not. I know that time seems to speed up as you get older, but I would have said four years ago at the very most.