Options

The Chase (ITV) (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She got the one about the volume of a cylinder right. Which Anne didn't.

She guessed it like most the of answers she gave.
  • Options
    SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She guessed it like most the of answers she gave.

No she didn't,she worked it out,she said,"The cylinder's the only one that's the same shape all the way up",or words to that effect.
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dido?! :D

13? Surely Anne is going to catch them easily.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No she didn't,she worked it out,she said,"The cylinder's the only one that's the same shape all the way up",or words to that effect.

She knew one answer. The rest were guesses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that was Shaun, he'd have probably lost.
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm.

'Auld Lang Syne' sung on New Year's Eve? Not sure if have allowed that. She should have just said New Year instead of trying to be smart or I'd probably allowed Hogmanay even but not New Year's Eve.

She tried to be too smart on the Juan Carlos one as well. Surely it's better to be vague and then be more specific if Bradley asks you to be.
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that was Shaun, he'd have probably lost.

You do realize he caught 17 steps with 30 seconds left JUST LAST WEEK right? That's a pretty pointless statement to make. He's not as bad as you try to consistently make out.
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Auld Lang Syne is sung on New Year's Day, not New Years Eve. Can't believe Bradley let Anne get away with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    Hmmmmm.

'Auld Lang Syne' sung on New Year's Eve? Not sure if have allowed that. She should have just said New Year instead of trying to be smart or I'd probably allowed Hogmanay even but not New Year's Eve.

She tried to be too smart on the Juan Carlos one as well. Surely it's better to be vague and then be more specific if Bradley asks you to be.

Hogmanay is just the Scots word for New Year's Eve. If you're going to allow one,I don't see how you can disallow the other one.

I remember once there was a question, "What is the brightest star in the night sky?".
    The player answered the dog star. Bradley said, "No,it's Sirius." Sirius is also know as the dog star. I think that should have been given. I'd certainly have been arguing my case to the independent adjudicator if I was on it and dog star wasn't allowed and we lost the money by one step.
  • Options
    RrosesRroses Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the hell would the word "Astronomic" be in NASA?! I have never facepalmed so hard at this show!

You seem to facepalm very easily. Careful you don't leave a red mark where your hand was.

Not such a stupid answer even if not correct.

as·tro·nom·i·cal adjective \ˌas-trə-ˈnä-mi-kəl\
    : of or relating to astronomy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    NASA - National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
    This comes up regularly at pub quizzes.
  • Options
    king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do realize he caught 17 steps with 30 seconds left JUST LAST WEEK right? That's a pretty pointless statement to make. He's not as bad as you try to consistently make out.

I totally agree with this, sure Shaun has some bad days but some people seem to forget that other Chasers have them too and few people remember that. It's also annoying that no one remembers Shaun's impressive performances, he's caught 14 with 1:00 remaining and 16 with 0:45 remaining in recent memory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogmanay is just the Scots word for New Year's Eve. If you're going to allow one,I don't see how you can disallow the other one.

I remember once there was a question, "What is the brightest star in the night sky?".
    The player answered the dog star. Bradley said, "No,it's Sirius." Sirius is also know as the dog star. I think that should have been given. I'd certainly have been arguing my case to the independent adjudicator if I was on it and dog star wasn't allowed and we lost the money by one step.

I'm Scottish so I feel kind of qualified to comment on this. New Year's Eve is a specific date whereas Auld Lang Syne is traditionally sung after the bells ie on New Year's Day. Hogmanay although traditionally referring to the 31st December is perhaps a more general name for the entire 'festival' of New Year celebrations. 'Edinburgh's Hogmanay' for example is the name for several days of festivities, not just the activities on Hogmanay day itself. It's like Christmas being the name for the entire festival not just Christmas Day. Hence why I would allow Hogmanay, but not New Year's Eve.

I feel a bit bad for Bradley when he must have to make some key decisions on the spot in what is a show where time is key. I feel sometimes when there is a slight pause he is waiting for guidance in his ear from someone else. Presumably they try and pre-empt contentious questions and tell him what he can and can't allow and also there must be times when they have to stop the show to clarify whether an answer is valid or not.

It probably doesn't happen much on gameshows but I witness many occasions on different gameshows where if I was a contestant I'd be speaking up and asking them to stop recording whilst they clarified a question or answer. You'd shouldn't be shy to speak up with so much money on the line, the 'New Year's Eve' answer today being a prime example of when if I was a contestant I'd have spoken up and said that wasn't right.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auld Lang Syne is sung on New Year's Eve. It's New Year's Eve until you go to bed and it's New Year's Day when you get up in the morning. If you look at any listings for 24-hour TV or radio station, you'll see that a new day starts at 6am.

:D:p;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah OK.
  • Options
    king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else notice that some idiot said on Shaun Wallace's wiki page that he apparently left the show 2014?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm Scottish so I feel kind of qualified to comment on this. New Year's Eve is a specific date whereas Auld Lang Syne is traditionally sung after the bells ie on New Year's Day. Hogmanay although traditionally referring to the 31st December is perhaps a more general name for the entire 'festival' of New Year celebrations. 'Edinburgh's Hogmanay' for example is the name for several days of festivities, not just the activities on Hogmanay day itself. It's like Christmas being the name for the entire festival not just Christmas Day. Hence why I would allow Hogmanay, but not New Year's Eve..

Well,I'm Scottish as well,I'm in my mid forties,and I've lived in Edinburgh all my life. So,as you say,I think I am also qualified to comment.

Hogmanay means and has always meant,the last day of the old year. Nothing more.

"Edinburgh's Hogmanay" is a load of nonsense dreamed up by the cooncil some years ago to get tourists to come to Edinburgh and stand out in the freezing cold in Princes St watching a few bands and fireworks,pay money for the privilege, and fondly believing they are participating in a traditional Scottish festival.

They are not.

Not that this has anything to do with The Chase,mind.

I just thought I'd get it off my chest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well,I'm Scottish as well,I'm in my mid forties,and I've lived in Edinburgh all my life. So,as you say,I think I am also qualified to comment.

Hogmanay means and has always meant,the last day of the old year. Nothing more.

"Edinburgh's Hogmanay" is a load of nonsense dreamed up by the cooncil some years ago to get tourists to come to Edinburgh and stand out in the freezing cold in Princes St watching a few bands and fireworks,pay money for the privilege, and fondly believing they are participating in a traditional Scottish festival.

They are not.

Not that this has anything to do with The Chase,mind.

I just thought I'd get it off my chest.

The Edinburgh thing was just an example I used. I would still argue that Hogmanay could mean the entire festival not just the specific day, just like Christmas does. Also given the question was about a Scottish traditional song, giving the answer of the Scottish traditional festival around which it is sung would do as an answer for me, however New Year's Eve would not do as an answer for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Edinburgh thing was just an example I used. I would still argue that Hogmanay could mean the entire festival not just the specific day, just like Christmas does. Also given the question was about a Scottish traditional song, giving the answer of the Scottish traditional festival around which it is sung would do as an answer for me, however New Year's Eve would not do as an answer for me.

Well, I still don't understand your reasoning.

Hogmanay and New Year's Eve mean the same thing - December 31st.

There is no Hogmanay "festival",it refers to one day only,except,as I have said,the nonsense that now goes on in Edinburgh every year around that time which is entirely artificial and has no roots in the traditional celebration of Hogmanay in Scotland at all,which was centred around family and neighbours,and not street parties and fireworks and so on.

Anyway,as I said,this has nothing to do with The Chase,so I think I'll end it here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I still don't understand your reasoning.

Hogmanay and New Year's Eve mean the same thing - December 31st.

There is no Hogmanay "festival",it refers to one day only,except,as I have said,the nonsense that now goes on in Edinburgh every year around that time which is entirely artificial and has no roots in the traditional celebration of Hogmanay in Scotland at all,which was centred around family and neighbours,and not street parties and fireworks and so on.

Anyway,as I said,this has nothing to do with The Chase,so I think I'll end it here.

It does have to do with The Chase as we're discussing the answer to a question on the show. Why do you say adamantly that there is no Hogmanay festival? Can you explain your justification for that? Times can change. The meanings of words can change. I'm sure there are many other examples of festivals where the word means the general festivities around that time and not just the specific day itself. Christmas and Easter being the two which initially spring to mind. My opinion is that Hogmanay also falls into that bracket, especially in Scotland where the 1st and indeed the 2nd January are bank holidays. Why are you so adamant that I am wrong?

Also, why do you describe the events around Hogmanay in Edinburgh as nonsense?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does have to do with The Chase as we're discussing the answer to a question on the show. Why do you say adamantly that there is no Hogmanay festival? Can you explain your justification for that? Times can change. The meanings of words can change. I'm sure there are many other examples of festivals where the word means the general festivities around that time and not just the specific day itself. Christmas and Easter being the two which initially spring to mind. My opinion is that Hogmanay also falls into that bracket, especially in Scotland where the 1st and indeed the 2nd January are bank holidays. Why are you so adamant that I am wrong?

Also, why do you describe the events around Hogmanay in Edinburgh as nonsense?

Easter begins on Palm Sunday,and lasts a week,ending on Easter Sunday. I think.
    Christmas begins officially on Christmas Day and ends on Epiphany,6th January,12th Night,when decorations are traditionally taken down.
    Hogmanay refers to one day only - December 31st,or at least it should. Have a look at the definition online - "In Scotland,New Year's Eve,and the celebrations that take place at this time."

I regard "Edinburgh's Hogmanay" as a load of nonsense because as I said in my previous posts,it is an entirely artificial creation and has next to nothing in common with the traditional way Hogmanay was celebrated in Scotland. I mean you can even buy official merchandise for it now. It is very popular with tourists who come here from all over the world to take part in it,and I'm sure they have a good time.

But despite its name,it has very little to do with Hogmanay,at least as I understood it when I was young.

I have said enough on this now. If you don't agree with me,fair enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bradley's lost it! Monkey's fist! :D
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given it's Shaun's 3rd appearance in the past 4 episodes, I suspect he'll lose this one since he won the past 2 - it's pretty rare of Chasers to win all their games when they have a period of being this frequent...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lunar the loon.
  • Options
    JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They threw in an American question just for Luna and she still got it wrong :o
This discussion has been closed.