How I Met Your Mother s5 (US Pace)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,244
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone else watching? Episode 1, "Definitions", just aired last night.

I thought it was one of the best season openers HIMYM's had, there were loads of great moments :D

Comments

• Triple-PTriple-P Posts: 2,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prof....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D I loved Marshall's 'my favourite professor' reveal!
  • NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    I think we got a valuable clue to the identity of the mother in this episode. Whoever she is, she's someone with remarkably low standards! Putting aside that he was in the wrong class, Ted acted like a jerk throughout the whole class.

I can't help feeling this would be a much better show without Ted. Or if at least they changed it to "How your Uncle Barney met your Aunt Robin."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I honestly didn't like the idea of Barnman and Robin (heh heh heh), I thought it would ruin the show, but i like it so far...

Ted not remembering how to spell Professor was hilarious, as was Marshall's obsession with the whip.

I was struggling to remember who Brad was for a while though, when I looked him up he'd not been in it since Lily and Marshall's wedding at the end of season two.

I'm so glad this show is back, It's the funniest thing on television, I missed it. Many great bits and a great start to the season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the mother is an Economics student, not one of Ted's students. Interesting.

Love Robin and Barney at the end, pretending but not.
    Forum Member
    Gemz87uk wrote: »

Well that's good - that way Ted doesn't lose his job. Dating your students is somewhat frowned upon.

More importantly, from the show's point of view, it postpones the meeting for as long as they want to. I can't help thinking that it's bound to disappoint.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gemz87uk wrote: »

Interesting - I hadn't thought of that. It's a nice way of side-stepping the dating a student issue.

Overall, an OK episode though some of it felt a little forced at times. I guess they had to get this out of the way to set up the rest of the season/
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    The prof... bit was hilarious! Overall I thought it was a great season opener.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 2 - Double Date

Preferred it to last week. No classic but an excellent example of how HIMYM can weave together different timelines into a 21 min story. Cute date girl too.

Shame we didn't see more of "Lilly" the stripper ("Stripper Me!"). Ahem. So pleased that AH is back in good shape, and on good form, after her maternity leave. I think I prefrred her "skanky and kinda gay" doppleganger though :)

The only thing which didn't quite feel right was that I would have thought that Robin would have been cooler with the guys going to the strip club

Some good stuff in Barney's Blog: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/how_i_met_your_mother/community/barney_blog/index.php
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I thought Robin would have been a bit cooler with it, too, but I thought it was a good episode overall.

Looking forward to seeing Barney and Ted's lookalikes! :D
  • Hopeless_SavageHopeless_Savage Posts: 2,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's just evidence to the fact that being in a relationship is helping Robin care more. Both her and Barney are growing into it nicely :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I thought Robin would have been a bit cooler with it, too, but I thought it was a good episode overall.

Looking forward to seeing Barney and Ted's lookalikes! :D

Remember Sven the Architect? He could have easily been Barney's double. At first I thought he was actually played by NPH.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I think that was the point. That Barney & us the fans assumed that Robin would be cool with it but it was Lily that was cool with it. I thought it was hilarious when Marshall was bragging that Lily had bought him some special time behind the curtain with the stripper Lily while Barney was being chewed out by Robin.

I'm also pretty interested to see the Ted & Barney Doppelgänger since Old Ted said we would see them by the end of the season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "May I have monies for shopping?!"

Brilliant. I can always rely on this show to cheer me up. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only just discovered this show when E4 started showing it from S1 a few weeks ago, but I'm watching the two seasons alongside each other now, with a few other eps in between and I have to say I'm loving it.

I liked the season five opener better than Double Date, but that's probably something to do with there being less Barney/Robin in that one, and as much as I may try to hide it, I'm a shipper at heart :)

HIMYM cheers me up too, Psycho Jack.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have watched the first 2 eps, and I can't help thinking that Alyson has had her lips done

They don't look right, and I watch them quite a lot
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snellster wrote: »
    I have watched the first 2 eps, and I can't help thinking that Alyson has had her lips done

They don't look right, and I watch them quite a lot

She certainly is looking different - maybe that's what motherhood does to you. I think I noticed some more cleavage too. Not that I'm complaining. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did not notice that much change in the boobage department, and I look there than I do at her lips.

Then again nobody can beat Penny from The Big Bang Theory on that front (pun intended)
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else really disappointed that Valerie from Sabrina only got one episode? As I watched I really hoped she would be the "mother" and then Melissa Joan Hart could have been bridesmaid at the wedding and it all would have been perfect. (Having just typed her name, I now want Melissa Joan Hart to be cast as Ted's future wife! She'd be amazing!)

Loved the first two episodes, stronger than the end of last season now we have Lily and Robin back full time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else really disappointed that Valerie from Sabrina only got one episode? As I watched I really hoped she would be the "mother" and then Melissa Joan Hart could have been bridesmaid at the wedding and it all would have been perfect. (Having just typed her name, I now want Melissa Joan Hart to be cast as Ted's future wife! She'd be amazing!)

I had no idea who the Date of the Week was but she was definitely a cutie and they certainly had some chemistry.

My all-time fave HIMYM not-wife was Trudie (Dancia McKellar)from the Pineapple Incident. But I was in love with Winnie in my youth....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    This one JUST struck me (luckily before most have watched episode 3)

I hope, (hope hope hope) Barney's Doppleganger is Dr Horrible. Obviously doesn't have to have a speaking role at all, and they could easily just refer to him as "scientist Barney" or something, but that would be such a cool bonus for NPH/Dr Horrible fans!

Looking forward to episode 3, loved the season so far.
  • remlapremlap Posts: 6,256
    Forum Member
    flakmagnet wrote: »
    I hope, (hope hope hope) Barney's Doppleganger is Dr Horrible.

More likely he will be a doctor ;)
    Forum Member
    As I watched I really hoped she would be the "mother" and then Melissa Joan Hart could have been bridesmaid at the wedding and it all would have been perfect.

Presumably at some point in their courtship Ted sat the mother down and told her how he met her.

It boggles the mind that she went ahead and married him anyway.
  • GeeMan1973GeeMan1973 Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love HIMYM but i'm not really 'into' the Robin and Barney relationship. It doesn't have any chemistry and its obviously not going to last. It did seem at the end of the most recent episode Robin 101 that there was some sexual frisson still between Ted and Robin.

Overal I thought the episode was a bit flat, and didn't really do anything for me. The barrel 'Mabel' seemed a bit of a re-hash of previous ideas of Marshall not letting go of his boyhood toys. Also Barney just seems a bit limp so far in this series, arguably he's a much better character when he's single and not tied down to a relationship.
  • themightyruththemightyruth Posts: 3,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought tonights episode was awesome, unsure why the episode was named after the subplot, though.