Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some might say it was due to an hour long Emmerdale .

But it was a poor episode :(

But there's no way of knowing that until you watch it . Maybe word is beginning to spread about how terrible the Dexter kidney nonsense is , Shazza isn't Shazza anymore, and Fatboy and Tamwar are digging deep to make people switch off
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure with catchup it will be higher but yeah that's a terrible overnight rating which ever way you look at it and I can't even say viewers missed much, unless they are gripped by a kidney storyline involving a bunch of characters we have only known for 6 months.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    The logical way of looking at it is that it was up against another soap, one with a half hour head start. I know this forum likes to act they're at war or whatever but really there's a lot of people who watch both, so when they're already half way through watching ED they're not going to turn over to watch EE, especially when EE isn't in a good place right now. I was watching Emmerdale last night so I didn't watch Eastenders, I probably won't bother catching up either, but I'll still be watching on Thursday. I imagine it'll be same for other viewers.

This forum's way of looking at it, however, is EASTENDERS IS DYING! Let's all gloat about its failure.
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect the official figure to shoot up. They count digital recordings now don't they?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect the official figure to shoot up. They count digital recordings now don't they?

Dunno . When they release the figures then that's the final number I think .
    Other wise they would call them provisional figures upon release .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    Dunno . When they release the figures then that's the final number I think .
    Other wise they would call them provisional figures upon release .

I think he means the official Barb ratings, not the overnight. Barb add in all the recordings of the show.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a poor episode, the only redeeming feature being David. TPTB need to get Nick Berry back and base the show around the Wicks, only then will the ratings rise.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only the David and Ronnie scenes were good,

Compare kidney gate episode with Emmerdale!

Who has the better story? Easy!

4m is an insult, what the hell has Lorraine Newman done? :eek:
    I thought BK was bad, but she just pissed all over it and made it 10 times worser!
  • Mrs Cee JayMrs Cee Jay Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, Sharon Marshall wrote this episode
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The soap reviewer on This Morning:confused: Did not know she was a writer for Eastenders:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Embarrassing last night, except for the David and Tiffany and Ronnie scenes!
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,922
    Forum Member
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Axe this clown, embarrassing last night, except for the David and Tiffany and Ronnie scenes!

Surely it wouldve happened with any other writer :confused: simon ashdowns ep didnt get much higher!!
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Axe this clown, embarrassing last night, except for the David and Tiffany and Ronnie scenes!

It's not her fault. She's a good writer. But if she's given crap stories/outlines for her episodes then very little will save it.

She's proven in the past she can write well.

It's the storyliners that need a kick up the arse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely it wouldve happened with any other writer :confused: simon ashdowns ep didnt get much higher!!

Yeah, I edited my Original Post,

Lorraine Storyliners were rubbish, its like she picked them off the streets with no experience or creativity!
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best scene was David selling an old bed.
  • liliroselilirose Posts: 10,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone imagine anymore viewers wanting to tune in on Thursday following the duff duff from yesterday? Who cares whether Sam lives or dies?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lilirose wrote: »
    Can anyone imagine anymore viewers wanting to tune in on Thursday following the duff duff from yesterday? Who cares whether Sam lives or dies?

I'm having cocktails and nibbles round at mine if he croaks :D.

;)
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shes driven it into the ground. Next week we have
    Dennis bullying Morgan in the playground
    The only time it has sparked into life was Ronnies release and Phils crash

Its Newmans obcession with secondery characters and kids which is putting people off.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    It's not her fault. She's a good writer. But if she's given crap stories/outlines for her episodes then very little will save it.

She's proven in the past she can write well.

It's the storyliners that need a kick up the arse.

This.

Sharon is a good writer. But if the stories aren't there, how can anyone be expected to write 30 minutes of engaging television?
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very bad episode topped off with FaBoy playing landlord.
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    It's getting to the point that it's actually feasible that ITV, should they decide to play dirty, could probably drive EE into the ground for good with a couple of tactical scheduling rearrangements.

I wonder what the Christmas Day figures will be like this year. Lowest ever?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it' necesarily a bad thing to concentrate on secondary characters - that's why Rita and Gail, and others, became prominent in Corrie, because a lot of the legendary actors left. And in ED, background actors have recently been given strong storylines - first Gennie & Nikhil, then Brenda, Rhona and now Ruby. The problem is that a lot of the background characters in EE weren't ever developed enough in the first place.

It has been better recently - I've stopped hating it - but I have to admit it's not been very gripping. I am still often leaving it several days before catching up on episodes.
  • blue_angelblue_angel Posts: 3,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    I'm having cocktails and nibbles round at mine if he croaks :D.

;)

I'll bring a cheese and pineapple hedgehog and throw in a bottle of crème de menthe if he takes Ava and Dexter with him too. ;):D Too retro?

The thing about bad ratings is they don't necessarily correspond to individual bad episodes. It's pretty impossible to say 'I know that episode is going to be bad so I won't watch it.'

Clearly the clash with Emmerdale hit the initial figure. I'm not keen on overnights anyway, I like to wait till all the figures roll in to clearly see the bigger picture.

That being said, EE isn't getting the ratings it should be getting. I couldn't care less about ratings for a show, as long as it's good quality. There can be just me and the EP watching for all I care, as long as they are knocking out quality. I think some individual episodes have been really very good, and they've got some quality actors and characters in their show. However I think EE's lack of storylines (really any storyline!) and attention to characters has knocked it down slightly recently. You've got to have well plotted storylines, with characters the audience cares about in order for them to tune in day in and day out. If they don't think they're going to get a little story secret or a plot isn't moving along, then you're going to loose people's attention.

This didn't happen overnight and it won't be fixed overnight. They are clearly making changes, but these things take time. They need to build up the audience again. The overall figures aren't as horrific as some people make out, they've still been the number one show on the BBC for the most part (excluding Strictly now it's started). Like I said, it's the show's output that interests me, not the ratings, but I believe one will come with the other.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Fatboy drama was awful, when has Fatboy ever expressed a desire to won a business I thought his dream was to be a successful dj. Awful idea to put Fatboy in charge, Poppy sulking at Fatboy was annoying, it was like tuna gate all over again

Sam collapsing was funny, it was so badly acted it made me laugh.

Great British bake off has more drama than eastenders.
  • Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    I personally think we'll be seeing DTC much sooner than expected, I think BBC Drama might demand re-writes.