Annoying ads with BT Yahoo Mail

JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
Forum Member
Since the newly imposed new BT Yahoo Mail there are the most annoying ads appearing. At the top, at the side, some in very bad taste and some open a new full sized window. I've tried a SM System Restore to when it wasn't happening ( last known 22 June) but to no avail. Another strange thing, the PC of SWMBO does not exhibit this. I do have Simple Adblock running. It does not happen with Firefox. Any ideas?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of thoughts.

Maybe the PC/Browser that doesn't display the ads has something more effective, like Adblock+ add-on for Firefox.

The other option is some sort of malware on the affected machine. Just to be on the safe side it might be worth running something like Malwarebytes on the machine (go to malwarebytes.org click "Free Download" if you don't already have it).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    I would also suggest using Webmail Ad Blocker on top of the regular Ad Blocker (both for Firefox). With this combination my Yahoo mail account now occupies the full screen. :)
  • JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    @chrisjr I've run Malwarebytes as I had the same thought but it found nothing. However I've just swapped my slave and master links and booted up on my alternative HDD, last cloned 40 days ago (but I was on holiday 14 of them), and the manifestation does not happen, so there's something there. It may have happened when I opened a link on an email apparently from an acquaintance which turned out to be a hacker. There have been a lot of funny goings on with BT Yahoo email of late. I'll have to clone back the HDDs.

@knowndeserter Thanks for that, I'll look into it..
    Forum Member
    Further to the above. On the supposed "clean" HDD, after I had re-connected the original HDD but still left it as slave, the spaces for the ads appeared but with little "unavailable" crosses in the corners. I've done some Googling on "coupon drop down" as small print on the BT Yahoo email page says "ads by coupon drop down". Among its incarnations is "IB Updater". I've removed this from "Add-ons" and programme files and so far so good. Some sites show it as a PUP - potentially unwanted program. You can say that again!
    Forum Member
    Not yet it ain't. I'm still showing "Yahoo". But thanks for the link, I'd missed that - it's certainly true about the hacking. I've had to change password twice and I know lots of people who've had it done to them.

The new style was announced a while back. The new UI isn't half as user friendly as the old one.

I wonder what will happen to one's "throw away" email addresses as they were "@ yahoo.co.uk".
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,572
    Forum Member
    JamesE wrote: »
    Not yet it ain't. I'm still showing "Yahoo". But thanks for the link, I'd missed that - it's certainly true about the hacking. I've had to change password twice and I know lots of people who've had it done to them.

The new style was announced a while back. The new UI isn't half as user friendly as the old one.

I wonder what will happen to one's "throw away" email addresses as they were "@ yahoo.co.uk".

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44789/?s_cid=con_FURL_email_newemail

The email q and a suggests not. You have to set up new ones I think.....
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    It would probably be better to change your email address for something more reliable and use an email client like Thunderbird to receive your emails.
  • Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the MVPS hosts file it blocks ads getting through on anything, browser or not

but it sounds like you have adware installed, did someone forget to uncheck a box when they installed some software?