Doctor Who Series 1/5/31/Fnarg Episode 11: The Lodger - 6.45pm on BBC One

Comments

• Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sonic157 wrote: »
    Over 80% have voted this episode 'excellent' or 'good'. It's just a vocal minority who didn't like it.

plus I note that most of the people who proclaimed Corden was going to ruin the episode have disappeared off the face of the earth since the episode aired....;)
  • sonic157sonic157 Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    plus I note that most of the people who proclaimed Corden was going to ruin the episode have disappeared off the face of the earth since the episode aired....;)

I found it refreshing that he wasn't the funny fat guy. We could empathise with him whilst being knocked over by the funny, eccentric, out-of -this world Doctor.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry wrote: »
    Not a fan of James Corden and to be honest, couldn't really get into it as I was too "excited" about the England match... :rolleyes: - Having said all that, I quite enjoyed it. Missed the bit leading up to the upstairs being an alien spaceship, so couldn't quite understand the end.

It has to be said, I really like Matt Smith as the Doctor - much more so than David Tennant, but I still can't get fully into it at the moment and I'm not sure why.

EDIT: I am 40 though, so that might explain it a bit..

`I'm the same age as you, and this series had me hooked within the first five minutes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    Well, I suppose it had to happen sometime; Dr Who does sitcom. What a pile of rubbish. The Doctor has been around humans for years, in other episodes on alien worlds he knows alien protocol. But here we have him being diminished by suddenly not knowing how to interact with humans? Purlese.:rolleyes:

If I never see that crack again I shall be extremely happy. Subtle? NOT!

I've struggled with liking this new format and this episode almost finished me with it completely. As there are only two episodes left, I shall stick with it. At least I'll save money in not buying the boxset - for the first time ever on New Who.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing about the writing this year has been simple. I think that's why a few people are having trouble with it. They've been spoiled by five years of being spoon fed cartoon plots with no depth to them and are consequently not used to having to bother to look to closely at what's on screen where Doctor Who is concerned. A change in the writing style requires a change in how you view it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh good. I'd hate to miss your enthusiastic, insightful and well reasoned critiques of the last two episodes...
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »

Catherine Tate tought me a lesson that I should always wait and see before judging them. They are actors after all. But this was just a filler episode that should not compete with the finale, but rather create a contrast with it. With an obligatory Amy's crack in it. And we have almost seen the Doctor's, too :D
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I agree with that, but my problem is I like DW enough to actually pay attention when I'm watching it :D

I mean, its hardly lazy man's television :confused:
  • The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this episode - the past two weeks have been my favourites this season, though very different from each other. One again, the aliens were a bit disappointing, but the well-written, funny story more than made up for it.
    Both my kids loved it.
  • ducturductur Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from the storyline, the point of the story was to re-inforce the flight-of-stairs-perception-filter that was used in TEH.

Did you notice that even the stairs were the same ? Uncarpeted, painted along the outside edges but not in the centre run, where carpet would have been ?

Too much to be a co-incidence. The episode was a tool.. and a brilliant one at that...

D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Catherine Tate tought me a lesson that I should always wait and see before judging them. They are actors after all. But this was just a filler episode that should not compete with the finale, but rather create a contrast with it. With an obligatory Amy's crack in it. And we have almost seen the Doctor's, too :D

yes it was a bit of a filler episode, but i think it did it's job well, which edged it up a notch for me. It will be a good contrast between the emotional (Vincent) and epic (finale) when we look back on this series. I do think every series also needs one episode that is more on the light side of things.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    It was basically 'TGITF' without the time jumping, the MOTW( that we only saw in human form as a kind of trap for other humans) was using humans to try and get it's ship working again( people who were unhappy and did not want to stay where they were apparently).The rest was fluff :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sonic157 wrote: »
    Over 80% have voted this episode 'excellent' or 'good'. It's just a vocal minority who didn't like it.
    True, but for this forum, it's a pretty low score for an episode.

I liked the character stuff, but felt it was badly let down by the plot - and especially the denouement which was utterly nonsensical. Shame - it was close to being a fun (albeit fluffy) one, but fell at the same hurdle the dalek/bomb nonsense did.

Oh well - can't all be gems - it's been an pretty good season overall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    i think it was a good episode - i laughed and even a small lump in my throat when he let the doctor keep the keys - i like fings like that! can't wait for next week though - its gonna be massive.
  • ducturductur Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newman2005 wrote: »
    I’m a bit confused and would like some help, or to enter into discussion on these points.

Who built the second tardis upstairs? (surely the doctor’s future self?) or another time lord? Perhaps a regenerated Tardis after the big bang which will then become the doctors? Or is just something moff has done to cause this very question.

The second TARDIS upstairs at Craig's house, or the second TARDIS upstairs at Amelia's house ? ;)

D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't really answer the first bit, but it seemed to me that it was other aliens not really the timelords that build something similar to a timemachine.
    Yes, which is why the Doctor referred to it as a time engine, not a TARDIS.

The girlfriend wasn't confused, she was embarrassed and she obviously realised that having two sets of keys to someone elses house is an indication that the person means a lot to you:).

Hope that helps.
    Something the Doctor had noticed but Craig hadn't.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel as though the last two episodes have been a bit of a nod to the 'city of death' story from long long ago :)
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, which is why the Doctor referred to it as a time engine, not a TARDIS.
    "Someone's attempt to build a TARDIS". Sort of half-and-half I suppose.
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As such this episode pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Yep it took some liberties in order to be a "funny" episode but, aside from the rather trite "love beats the machine" ending it was very funny and Matt Smith was excellent.

So many one liners and quips that hit the mark.

Really impressed with this.

Come on even Gavin Fuller at the Telegraph liked this one !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Histeria wrote: »
    True, but for this forum, it's a pretty low score for an episode.

Percentage of positive ratings of episodes in series 5:

Time of Angels - 91.94
    Flesh and Stone - 91.71
    Eleventh Hour - 85.82
    Vincent and The Doctor - 81.37
    Amy's Choice - 78.09
    Cold blood - 78.43
    Vampires of Venice - 76.74
    Hungary Earth - 70.92
    Beast Below - 62.69
    Victory of the Daleks - 53.37

Fairer to say a low score would be one around 70% or lower. Most people will like most episodes or they wouldn't be fans of the show, but there is still a decent range in opinion week by week which shows quite clearly here.

This episode looks like nabbing the 5th spot for the series.
  • CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This episode must have been one of the worst Dr Who episodes ever.:yawn:
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing about the writing this year has been simple. I think that's why a few people are having trouble with it. They've been spoiled by five years of being spoon fed cartoon plots with no depth to them and are consequently not used to having to bother to look to closely at what's on screen where Doctor Who is concerned. A change in the writing style requires a change in how you view it.
    Please illustrate for us simpletons what actual depth there was to "The Lodger"?
  • scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    i quite liked this one. i think the variety this year has been great. also my wife loved it her fav episode so far, this is a good thing as she was a big DT fan i think she finally gets MS ;)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charenton wrote: »
    This episode must have been one of the worst Dr Who episodes ever.:yawn:

....says the minority :p
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i have to agree in some respect with you,Moffat seems to be dealing more with Plots you have to think about,and take more than one watch at times rather than the Spectacle and dealing with relationships which RTD was good at(don't get me wrong RTD was a brilliant writer and created some excellent eps) they both just have a different writing style