Options

Phone Scam

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
Forum Member
✭✭
I received a call on my landline and they asked if I was Mrs (partner's name). I said no, but I'm his partner. He asked my name, and then called me Mrs (my first name) then laughed, obviously realising how stupid he sounded. He said his name was John (he had a strong Indian accent) and that he was calling from Microsoft and was offering a complimentry service to fix my PC because I had sent Error Report messages (which I have, many times over the years, but this is my first phone call about it). He told me I was registered with Microsoft which is why they were calling me. He said all I needed to do was take a few simple steps on my PC. I told him my PC was off so he said he'd hold the line. I told him I was busy to which he replied "Are you going out or something?". I said no, I have a baby waking up, I'm busy. He asked when he could call me back but I hung up. I then tried to dial out a few mins later but he was still on the line!

After Googling I've read this is a scam where they get you to go to a website and download something, which either allows them to take control of your PC or they demand payment for their "services"

I did 1471 but it said the number was unavailable. A little while later someone called me but said nothing after I said Hello three times. The number was witheld. Whether it's related I don't know.

Anyone had this call?

Comments

• Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    It's a well known scam.

Ignore and hang up.

See here.
  • Options
    planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you sent the error messages to Microsoft did you include your telephone number?
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    You're not alone.

See here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you sent the error messages to Microsoft did you include your telephone number?

No. It's just that box that pops up when the internet crashes. "Do you want to sent an Error Report?" I'm not very tech savvy so I'm not sure exactly what it is, but when you click send it says thanks for sending it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petit-pois wrote: »
    No. It's just that box that pops up when the internet crashes. "Do you want to sent an Error Report?" I'm not very tech savvy so I'm not sure exactly what it is, but when you click send it says thanks for sending it.

So Microsoft wouldn't know your phone number....so consequently it wasn't them who phoned you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Microsoft wouldn't know your phone number....so consequently it wasn't them who phoned you!

Ha yes I guessed it wasn't after they'd called me. I'm not very tech savvy but I knew it was dodgy. I'm sure people could easily be fooled though - as I've already read in the links provided! Cheeky buggers eh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when i got the call, the Indian man called 'Kevin' (lol) said he was calling from Windows Operating System. haha, i kept him on the line asking him stupid question until he eventually got annoyed and hung up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    when i got the call, the Indian man called 'Kevin' (lol) said he was calling from Windows Operating System. haha, i kept him on the line asking him stupid question until he eventually got annoyed and hung up.

I posted a fuller story some time ago on Digital Spy in an earlier thread. Basically I had a call from India asking me if I'd had an accident and did I want to claim. Big mistake ringing me up....I kept the muppet and his freekin' supervisor on the phone for absolutely ages after I told them that my head had fallen off and I wanted to claim :D
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    petit-pois wrote: »
    So you're the one who keeps crashing the Internet! Could you be more careful in future, as it's really starting to annoy me.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had this call Yesterday as well may be best to say you don't have a PC or it caught fire and hang up.
  • Options
    BillyCasperBillyCasper Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or you have an apple computer